Hi Oldsquizzy

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:30
ThreadID: 58578 Views:2787 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just read your blog.

We are heading towards the GRR in s few days time. Was there much rain? I was watching on the BOM radar, and it looked like a few heavy falls over the last couple of days.

You may be able to advise me - with the F250 and 18' caravan, we don't want to get caught in tight parking areas, but want to do all possible good gorges. I have scrubbed Lennard River off the list, but hope everything else will be OK for us.

Are there any 'secrets' not in the tourist books we can get into to see? I like your idea of the Duncan, but as we want to fit in GRR, Wyndham, Kununurra and the dam, Purnululu and exit via Tanami, it would involve double running one way or the other.

What tyre pressures do you recommend? Old Rooster being from farming background doesn't like letting 'em down fearing side wall damage.

Thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tukka - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:48

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:48
Just read the blog, totally agree with oldsquizzy there. Love the older type stations. I am only a young tacker at 24, but was born and bred in this part of the country and really love visiting the untouched places also, have pretty much done every inch of the Kimberley with my old man, and Marella Gorge was amongst the favourites. Really like to hear that people do still visit these areas and other areas that are out of the way. Now i have grown up and have my own 4by i love getting out in the bush and rarely spend a weekend at home. Will never let the Kimberley leave my blood, will probably never leave the Kimberley thats why.

Really enjoy this site and its good to see that alot of the nice places are still accessed and used yet, most are still in an untouched state. Glad to know that other people get as much satisfaction out of these things as me. Hopefully will get to experience these things with my children and hopefully grand children. My son who is 6 knows alot about the bush already and im sure he gets more excited then me when its time to head out somewhere, which is absolutely amazing and really makes me proud. Hopefully he will grow up with the same love and relationship with the land as myself and my father.
AnswerID: 308883

Reply By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:48

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:48
Tyres. mmmmh personal preference here. Have been running BF Goodrich MT's for years 33*10.5*15's and always leave them at 28 cold bitumen or dirt, they have the triple side wall so still stand up well but flex. A friend of mine up here has a F250 with the 7.3 V8 turbo and was running coopers till two new front fibreglass flares and I had to repair his water tank and a tool box on the left rear and he is now running them as well. He ran the first set of them till they were bald and is on his second set now.
As to which way i would go. Probally would come up the gibb and down the Duncan leaving van in Hells Crack oops Halls Creek to duck up and do the bungles. That way wouldnt miss any of them.
Will send member message...
AnswerID: 308884

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:12

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:12
Thanks for the idea Oldsquizzy (already replied by member msg). How's the price of diesel in Halls Creeek? We'd need to fill up again before the Tanami. How do you contact the station for permission to visit Murella?

Thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574993

Reply By: chook2706 - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:26

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:26
G'day Motherhen

Just returned home from two weeks on the GRR, got home the night it poured down so cant comment on the road conditions now.

It was getting pretty corrugated the week prior. Timed it right getting into Mitchell River, two days after the road opened and we passed the grader 16 ks out of MR. King Edward River is up to the top of the wheels and dropped about 10cms while we were there.

Have to agree with Old Squizzy about the old stations being the better ones (probably passed him somewhere along the track). One he missed out though is Charnley River Station ( Used to be Beverley Springs), between Mt Barnett and Imintji, about 43kms north. Has Grevillea Gorge, which I reckon is one of the best gorges, not a lot of people go there, great campground, hot showers, can get firewood there, cows, chooks and peacocks running through the campground which was great for the kids.

Must do gorges are Galvans, Adcock (You might have to walk an extra bit if you take the van in, but the walk is only about 400m anyway), Bells, Grevillea, Manning. If you have the money, a chopper flight back from Mitchell Falls to the campground is worth it (we did the mud crab). The MF campground is good, no showers but saves a 2 hr drive back to King Edward River when you are stuffed after a great day at the Falls.

All the above gorges are fairly easy to get into(except Manning), some clambering over the rocks involved. We took our daughter into all except Manning and only had to carry her through for part of the way. ( She is 2 in a couple of months.)

The bushtracker wont be a problem, saw them everywhere and everyone raved about them.

I run tyre pressures at 40psi. I have found that pressure works for me and I have been doing some pretty rough goat tracks for the past 12 years. Some people might disagree though, but I havent blown many tyres over the years. Yes I did blow one this trip, but it was the original Grandtrek that came with the 100 series, was over 50% gone and was on the rear of the car, so I was expecting it to go. Good excuse to have good off road tyres all round now.

When in Wyndham, make sure you do the Bastion or Five Rivers Lookout, see if you can do it at Sunset when it is at its best. Take up some champagne, nibbles and a beer and enjoy.

Enjoy the trip, I am already planning on when to head back there again.

Anything else you need to know, please ask.

Lastly, take your only toilet paper with you. Most places only have the typical government issue sandpaper.

Cheers

Chook
AnswerID: 308907

Follow Up By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:32

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:32
LoL and Mt Elizabeth and Mt Barnett. But I thought people would get the gist of what I meant.
FollowupID: 574913

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 22:14

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 22:14
Hi Chook and thanks for the feedback.

The chopper flight back from Mitchell Falls sounds like a good idea. My son and d.i.l did the same last year.

Where could we park at Adcock's?

Five Rivers lookout is on my list - will pencil in sunset against it.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574933

Follow Up By: tukka - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 22:32

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 22:32
Motherhen, if heading up Five Rivers Lookout to watch the sunset allow about 15-20 minutes to get up there with the Big F truck, and you cant take van up but there is a little area at bottom to leave it. You wanna be up there by 16.30pm at the latest to get a good look and a good seat. Sun will probably be setting by 17.30 or just after. Excellent view, never got sick of it up there. Even have BBQs and bush toilet if you thinking of staying a little longer. Its wood BBQs though the shire usually keeps it well stocked with fire wood.

Also another place worth visiting if enjoy bird watching is Marlgu Billabong, plenty of birdlife only about 20k out of town. F truck will make it there no problem, also a nice view out there on top of Telegraph Hill which overlooks the Billabong. Nice place to camp also on top of the Hill. Would highly recommend taking the Old road from Wyndham to Kununurra along the Ord River too. Its the Parry Creek Road which also joins the Marlgu Billabong road. Some nice scenery along there and even a few nice places to camp along the river. If you do take this route probably worth taking the Valentine Springs road back onto the highway for the last 20ks into Kununurra rather then crossing Ivanhoe Crossing with the Van.
FollowupID: 574939

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 23:15

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 23:15
Thanks tukka, I'll take a note of those tips.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574944

Follow Up By: chook2706 - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 23:36

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 23:36
G'day MH

The track into Adcock Gorge is about 5 kms, a single track only, but I dont remember it being too bad until you get to the end. A couple of parts where there were small dips. However, that was before the rain, so not sure whether you will be able to get the bushtracker in there now.

Enjoy the trip,

Chook

(By the way, how is Wickham nowadays, spent a few years 10kms south of you until a couple of years ago. Loved the area and the fishing.)
FollowupID: 575396

Sponsored Links