Tour advice - outback QLD

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 19:17
ThreadID: 58609 Views:2306 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

In two weeks time we are taking a four week 'sealed road' tour from Canberra via Lightning Ridge, Cunamulla, Charleville, Longreach, Emerald, Carnarvon Gorge, then home again.

We would like to hear from anyone who has been to that part of the country - tips on necessary equipment (we have a camper trailer), what to see, good places to stay (although we've made a number of bookings already), places to avoid, etc... We have three children aged 11, 8 and 6.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Captain Chaos (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:15

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:15
Hi we just got back on Friday check out thread 58547 it may help and enjoy your trip
AnswerID: 309084

Reply By: Brian - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 08:11

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 08:11
If you can spare a change in itinery, consider going up to Winton, visit Lark Quarry and then across to Hughendon. Very pretty country with lots to see!

Cheers

Brian (Gold Coast)
AnswerID: 309166

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 08:43

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 08:43
Hello Stinz,

Here's a website that might help you

http://www.outbackholidays.info/

That will give you lots of info. I'd visit the Blackall Woolscour, the Stockman's Hall of Fame at Longreach, the Lighthorse Museum at Ilfracombe

If you wanted a detour that would stop a bit of back tracking then you could go from Blackall to Isisford (bitumen) and then up to Ilfracombe and Longreach.

Jericho and Alpha are two interesting little towns and the campground at Alpha was quite good when I stayed there in about 2002.Emerald is a lovely big place. Take a trip a bit north up to Capella, they have an interesting museum there and you'll get a look at the beautiful Peak Ranges....

On the way south, Injune has a good caravan park.

I hope you have a good trip

Viv
AnswerID: 309171

Reply By: Member - John G- Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 16:36

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 16:36
G'day Stinz

I'd second Brian's comment re Lark Quarry - if the children are interested in dinosaurs then they'll be fascinated.

A point on Lightning Ridge - the more active mining is now being done about 80km west, but what's at Lightning Ridge itself still gives you a terrific insight into opal life. The half day tour with a local historian is well worth it, and shouldn't bore the children.

Depending upon which route you are taking, Willie Retreat about 100km north of Warren is a good spot to stop. When we were there last year the Macquarie Marshes were dry but I understand that they have had rain and that the birds are returning. Willie Retreat is a farmstay set up - they have a small number of on-site vans, cabins, and powered sites and a spot for a campfire.

Have a great trip
Cheers
John
AnswerID: 309260

Sponsored Links