Atherton Tablelands

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 22:09
ThreadID: 58703 Views:2857 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All - Can I please get some advise on places to camp in the Atherton area. I have been told that Tineroo Falls/Lake Tineroo is nice? We have about 2 weeks to get from Cairns to Winton where we meet our friends for our 3 month trek to the West Coast & Back :-)

Cheers
Jason
Ps. Self sufficient Off Road.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 22:52

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 22:52
We were there this time last year and stayed in a magical spot right on the Lake. It was a Scout Campsite and I think called Barrabadeen.
It was nominal fee and there is a resident caretaker. Go past the and under the dam wall and take the first right after the bitumen ends.
Shower and toilets but no power. Right on the waters edge and quiet. Well as long as the troop is not there, then go to another spot!!
There are plenty of Parks campsites right around the lake but you have to ring Brisbane to book and all that goes with it.
M.
AnswerID: 309609

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 00:06

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 00:06
Yo Jason,

PM me and I will talk to you by phone. We live close by Tinaroo and camp there regularly + a couple of other spots close by. Barabadeen is a scout camp and in my view pretty cra**y. Wife and I checked out and decided to opt out. There are much betta places around the area believe me. I can give you a link from another site that shows pics... see below...
Kauri creek Tinaroo

Grrr!!!
AnswerID: 309618

Follow Up By: Joondalupgerry - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 07:50

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 07:50
Hi..looking at low cost campsites..you can stay on the railway parkland almost in the middle of Ravenshoe for avery low fee. Good home bakery very close by!! Try the War memorialabout 6ks north of Atgherton, there's a 4 night limit..and is patrolled by the Colonel who runs a tidy ship..basic toilets etc available..and Mount Molloy ise xcellent at the Northern endof the tablelands...great if you want to pop down to Port Douglas or Mossman..or an over night before heading to Cooktown. I must emphasise all these are for self contained vans..i.e. own power etc...altho toilets and maybe a cold shower is usually available. Appaerently the Mareeba showgrounds is also used for caravaners etc..but haven't used that one.
ps. We stayed under the huge mango trees in Cooktown out on ghe turn off to the Airport...but got moved on politely after 2 days by the local dog ranger.Don't think there are any official freedom campsin that region.
Cheers Gerry
FollowupID: 575593

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 09:42

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 09:42
Jason and Jodie,
I suppose it's your choice! "Believe me" but we actually stayed there and thought it was great and a darn sight cheaper than the Govt options. But I must reiterate, don't even think about it if the kids are in.
M.
FollowupID: 575607

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 17:11

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 17:11
Tinnaburra is nice, but beware on the weekends, this is a ski boats area. Lake Eacham is another place, close to the crater lake and good sights. Malanda Falls is another place, close to a lot of sights but can be a bit damp.

Near Cooktown you have Archer point that is free , no facilities and sometimes, well lots of times windy, great fishing and views to the reef. Also Walker bay at the mouth of the Annan River, private land camping allowed also no facilities but a great place.

Have fun Regards Tony.
FollowupID: 575662

Follow Up By: Member - Jason & Jodie - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 18:02

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 18:02
Thanks for all the advise people - fantastic.
Leaving Cairns next Sunday :-)

Cheers
Jason
FollowupID: 575669

Reply By: Member - Kenneth Trevor B (QLD - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 13:02

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 13:02
tinaburra near yungaburra great liittle history town middle of tablelands
AnswerID: 309683

Follow Up By: Joondalupgerry - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 15:04

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 15:04
Justa thought. Invest in a copy of camps 4 (with the photo snaps if you want all the bells and whistles) It gives a very comprehensive catalogue of free and budget/national park type bush or freedom camps. I have usedit extensively thru WA,NT,FNQ etc and it paid for itself in about 3days!
Good luck. Gerard and Anne
FollowupID: 575643

Follow Up By: Member - Jason & Jodie - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 18:03

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 18:03
Thanks guys - appreciate it
Cheers
Jason
FollowupID: 575670

Sponsored Links