Fraser Island camping

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 07:24
ThreadID: 58746 Views:2690 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning again
We expect to be leaving our van behind and camping for a week or two on Fraser Island later in the year.
In camping close to the beach, are there designated camping areas or just anywhere that takes your fancy?
Are there toilets in amongst the dunes?
If not, are you allowed to just dig a hole or is a porta-loo required?

I expect all of this info will be in the permit documentation, just want a bit of a heads-up.
Cheers
Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:09

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:09
Try this link Tuck.

regards

Brian
AnswerID: 309838

Follow Up By: tuck 01 - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:50

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:50
Good link.
Thanks Brian
FollowupID: 575831

Reply By: motor_head - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:23

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:23
Tuck, its been awhile since ive been over to fraser but basically you can camp where ever you fancy apart from a few exceptions, behind a dune is best as it can get a bit breezy on the beach front, there are no toilets unless things have changed so take a porta loo, there is a couple of commercial type camps close to the beach that have showers and toilets but you wont enjoy staying at them, hope this helps.
AnswerID: 309871

Reply By: aussiedingo - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 19:32

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 19:32
g'day, camping on Fraser Is is great, my favourite is at Waddy Point, on the beach, has toilet, shower & nice place to be, need a camp permit (gain online) make sure you arrive on island just before low tide as high tide for beach drive is the only sane way. ( at high tide - you either wait for low tide or be forced to use short inland track - the roughest you will find!! pick low tide first. hope that helps, Dingo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 309975

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 22:28

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 22:28
what are you leaving your van behind for, we take caravans over to fraser all the time, going again later this year and we will have 2 x 16ft vans aswell as 2 x 13ft vans there that i know of at the moment.
as for loos it's still just dig a hole stuff allowed, there are some designated camp areas along the beach but many more areas where you can just pull up and setup where ever you want. if it's toilets you want then dundaburra and waddy campgrounds would be worth a look at, aswell as central station for a night or 2 if you don't mind moving camp. dundaburra would be more centralized to see everywhere if you just wanted to pick one spot and not move camp. we usually camp on the beach somewhere around cathedral shops, central to all places north and south aswell as easy access to supplies at the shop.
AnswerID: 310009

Follow Up By: TassieDave - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 08:54

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 08:54
Yes we took our van over as well no problems at all.

waiting for the barge at hook point.

We camped at Dundaburra.

There were a lot of people amazed that we had taken our van over there. I would do it again.
Dave
FollowupID: 576046

Sponsored Links