I would like to introduce myself

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:52
ThreadID: 58786 Views:3137 Replies:13 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hello fellow forumites, as has been said many times before I am a "long time lurker'. I have used this site and the forum before to ask many questions and and tried to add my knowledge when appropriate to questions asked. I am constantly amazed (and often amused by the banter) by the knowledge that members and visitors to this forum have and are willing to share. Friday funnies are a favourite and often have me chuckling away to myself. I am in the last stages of planning my first Simpson desert crossing (leaving the Sutherland Shire 5/7/08) travelling with my wife and 15 year old daughter. We will be meeting my father and step mother at Cameron Corner and going via Birdsville track, Oondandata track, Mt Dare and across to Birdsville.
I feel this will be dads last big trip as he has recently (at 78)suthered a slight stroke and is all of a sudden showing his age. But as he says if he dies on the trip it is no different then dying in bed at home. I hope to catch up to a few of the EO crowd that may be lingering around Innaminka when we make it across. And before anybody thinks it is foolish doing this trip under the circumstances, we have a HF radio and are thinking of hiring a satphone from Mt Dare and dads wife is a nurse and we are fully aware of the risks. That said we are all looking forward to this adventure. Hoping to see a few of you on the track, William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:01

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:01
Sorry, meant to add that I used to log on as visitor "Willb".

AnswerID: 309995

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:14

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:14
Hi William B

I hope your trip goes well for you and your family,sounds like you have got every thing covered. I am sure your Dad will enjoy the trip
and his family, Good on ya mate.

Cheers

Daza
FollowupID: 575999

Follow Up By: justretired - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:41

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:41
Hi William B.
Just want to say good luck, and happy travelling to you and your family. Having lost my Dad exactly 12 months ago, being able to do this trip with your Dad, even if as you say it may be his last, you will have such great memories.
Best wishes to you all.
FollowupID: 576069

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:06

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:06
William,

Welcome to the nut house

I will be in Innamincka on the 8 until the morning of the 14th so call in and say G'Day if you are passing through.

Cheers Sir Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 309996

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:11

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:11
Hi Sir Kev, I will look you up if in town before you go, if for no other reason to discuss rationally how NSW kicked the cane toads back to Lang Park. LOL.
William. ( after a couple of wines feeling more like a peanut than a macadamian)

FollowupID: 575996

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:13

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:13
SIR KEV; gees the nut house,thats a bit harsh............ but yeah ya right :-0 he he he he he!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 575998

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 14:27

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 14:27
trying to invade yet another member and turn them crazy huh!

You cease to amaze me Kev!
FollowupID: 576114

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:43

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:43
Kiwi,

The more that are converted into MAROON supporters the better, and William of the Shire is a great place to start as "The Shire" residents have always thought they were the top of the mantel. So why not join the best State in all codes of Football ;)

But I still have not seen Cronulla win a premeirship as yet hehehe so that is even more reason to jump ship.

Cheers Sir Kev

QUEENSLANDER
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 576307

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:18

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:18
Thanks for that Dazza, I hope we have most things covered, but thats the beauty about this sort of trip, half the fun is in the planning.
William

AnswerID: 310000

Reply By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 23:44

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 23:44
G'day William

Welcome aboard mate, i say good on your Dad for getting out there...all the best with your trip , im sure you will all enjoy...

Cheers......Borgy
AnswerID: 310016

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 02:20

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 02:20
Welcom aboard and enjoy your trip, we are headed for Birdsville for the races in a couple of months time.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 310021

Reply By: CraigB - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 08:46

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 08:46
I too am leaving the Shire on 5 July heading to Cameron's Corner.
Might see you out there somewhere.
Cheers
CraigB
AnswerID: 310037

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:46

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:46
Hi WilliamB
Good see another shire boy joining up.

If the unthinkable happens to your dad during this trip you will at least have the pleasure of knowing that you were helping him to do something he obviously loves. Good onya for caring enough to let him continue to enjoy his remaining able-bodied time his way and with dignity. It sounds like you have better coverage than most of us normally would in any case with a nurse onboard.

With your comms, its a no brainer...I would definitely be hiring a satphone in your circumstances. If you don't need it good don't use it for minimal cost but if its there that's just a bit more built in safety.

I envy you your trip, I will look forward to a trip report when you all get back. I have yet to do a Simpson Crossing so i will be interested to see how you do it.

Best Wishes
AnswerID: 310047

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:50

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:50
Yep, we're another group that is doing a Simpson Crossing about that time, but we're doing it in the opposite direction. If you see a convoy that includes 2 Ultimate Camper trailers, that'll probably be us.

Cheers and have a great trip William,

Roachie
AnswerID: 310048

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 11:20

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 11:20
Thanks for your kind words and thoughts.
We are all looking forward to the trip, weather permitting.
We are hoping to get to Byrock the first day then Tibooburra the next, then an easy trip onto Cameron Corner to meet up with Dad and Dianna and sort out some gear between us. The rest will be as it happens. dad will know some places to camp as he has done this trip a few times.
We will be in my silver Jackaroo (EO sticker front and back) and a current model silver Prado.
Looking forward to possibly catching up along the way.
William

AnswerID: 310067

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 14:31

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 14:31
Best of luck with your trip and hope all goes to plan! I was pregnant on our trip 2 yrs ago and people thought I was mad, (went Innamincka - Birdsville - Boulia - Alice - Ood....etc).....kinda proved it though when I fainted at the Birdsville Museum - but they had a great nurse out there and had back up at Boulia if I needed it (which I didnt!).......so you'll be right!!

Im down in Nowra so if your ever driving through here let me know!

Let us know how you go with you trip!

Laura

(Ill be at Innamincka 8th - 12th with hubby and 3 kids and the outlaws too)
AnswerID: 310098

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 17:09

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 17:09
Thanks Laura,
I was down your way last weekend.
I wanted to give the roof rack with jerry can holder, and the storage unit i have fitted to the rear on the Jackaroo a decent test to make sure it all stayed put.
I thought where can I test it, so I went from Nowra to Nerriga along the Turpentine Rd.
That Bleepy road didnt let me down. I cannot think of a road close to the south end of Sydney that is that bad for that long.
It took a few schooners at Nerriga for me to recover.
William

FollowupID: 576162

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:18

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:18
Its pretty nasty hey!! I know some people that live out at sasafrass and they go through about 2 sets of shock a yr - doesnt matter what they buy - they pack it in! and a mate Paj has lost about 4 tyres this yr on it (but his tyre pressure is soo wrong!!)
with all the trucks constantly going out there, they have no hope, yet, of having a decent run!! That bridge will be really good when its done. I wanna buy a couple of those propertys out there now before they become another town!!!
Nerriga Pub is always good for thrist quenching work, although their pies arent homemade anymore and they are warmed up in the microwave......
FollowupID: 576303

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:14

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:14
William welcome to the forum - we did the Simpson several years ago. With camper trailers we went via the Rig Road without any problems at all - Tell your Dad (tongue in cheek) that there is a grave half way across - not sure of the history - from recollecdtion some Dutchman or German who asked to be buried in the middle of the Simpson - actually a beautiful place
AnswerID: 310162

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:33

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:33
Hi Trekkie, i have jokingly said to Dad if he has expire on the trip that I would stick him on the roof rack to dry him out then sell him on ebay so peolple can use him to as the second passenger on the T2 lanes.
William

FollowupID: 576204

Follow Up By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 20:53

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 20:53
Ha Ha .... just like Aunt Edna with Chevy Chase in National Lampoons Vacation .... strapped her to a rocking chair on the roof
FollowupID: 576227

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:38

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:38
WilliamB,

Good on you, your family and especially your Dad. I know for a fact that my father who is 81 feels the same way. Far better to go "out" doing something you enjoy that sitting quietly waiting for the end. Hopefully you and your Dad have many more trips ahead of you beginning with this one across The Simpson.

Best wishes for the trip

Viv
AnswerID: 310171

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:50

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:50
Thanks Viv,
I feel that this is the last big trip but there is no reason we cannot do a few week long trips.
The Darling River run is one that springs to mind.
Dad was a policeman at Brewarrina when I was young, so maybe a few trips ouy that way might be on the cards.
William

FollowupID: 576209

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:29

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:29
Takin' your Dad across the desert at 78 years old?????

Good on ya mate! I wish I had the opportunity to have taken my Dad across the desert like that!

Wishing you a safe and healthy trip.

Cheers

Brian (Gold Coast)

AnswerID: 310283

Sponsored Links