Latest water availability on the Canning Stock Route

Submitted: Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:13
ThreadID: 58853 Views:2476 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi friends

I will be travelling the CSR in September.

Can anyone give me the latest well condition and water availability - any new developments would be appreciated.

Thanks heaps.

Trauma Hawk
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vivid Adventures - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:30

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:30
Here's some - all that mattered for us a few weeks ago.

Pierre Springs - great.
Georgia Bore - brilliant.
Well 33 - great.
Well 46 - somewhat flavoured by snake bleep but okay (still 2 king browns in the well).
Well 49 - pretty muddy around the edges may be the problem - no longer pleasant.
AnswerID: 310348

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:31

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:31
Water at Diebel Springs okay, but frequented by camels.
FollowupID: 576355

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:36

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:36
Diebel or Durba?

Nice water at Killigurra in an emergency

Cheers
FollowupID: 576369

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:41

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:41
Oops - I mean Biella Spring.

Nothing at Durba - not even in the toilet ;-)

Didn't see any at Killigurra either but perhaps were looking in the wrong spot?
FollowupID: 576372

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:20

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:20
Biella was dry in '94 when we went that way.

Went looking for Diebel Spring in 2006 and eventually got to the end of the track and looked through the binocs but coudn't see any water in the distance and decided not to walk the 500m to look.

Was the fire that destroyed the Durba toilet started by lightning?

Cheers
FollowupID: 576378

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:29

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:29
Quite a lot of water in Biella with a lot of frogs.

We didn't end up going out to Diebel.

Lightning... well, I wasn't there when it caught fire so I can't say for sure.

It is the second time it has burned down from what I was told.

As much as it is a metal structure standing some 4 or 5 metres off the ground, I doubt that it would attract lightning more than (say) the big gums that are in the gorge, but lightning is funny stuff.

The Parngurr mob think it was some revenge attack for their native title restrictions on the track, but I have no idea if they have any evidence for this, or it is just conspiracy theory.

The dunny has a reputation for being particularly smelly for whatever reason. Perhaps someone thought it was just too smelly and put it out of its misery.

I have no idea if the processing system might be prone to over-heating and catching fire - perhaps methane?

Whatever, it is unfortunate, because there is already too much dunny litter in the gorge... ughg...

BTW, the Martu have removed the date palms in the hope that that might coax the water back into Durba Springs - I said "nothing at Durba" - well actually, there is a little stinking pond by the kangaroo art but I don't think I'd be drinking it.
FollowupID: 576382

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 19:42

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 19:42
Well 15 has some of the best water on the track. Was a bucket and rope there last year.
AnswerID: 310379

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 19:52

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 19:52
just a rope now as I recall... I think a blue sail rope (sorry I can't describe it better)...
FollowupID: 576391

Reply By: V64Runner - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 07:41

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 07:41
Heard on the reliable grapevine over the weekend that due to the petrol sniffing with the Aboriginals at some of the locations on the CSR, that they are no not going to be selling ULP at some of these outlets in future. As I stated, it only heresay at this stage so hope fully someone with some knoweldge, can clarify this untenable situation as as I dont want to be carrying 300 litres of highly flammable fuel in the back of my 4x4 plus food and camping gear and fridge. Of couse if there is a any truth in this, then it does not bode well for Petrol powered vehicles on the entire CSR
AnswerID: 310451

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 08:46

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 08:46
Well there are only a few places where fuel is available anyways:

Cotton Creek (Parnngurr)
and
Well 33 (Kunawarritji)
and Billiluna

As far as I know Parnngurr is diesel only, but perhaps there is a stock of drums somewhere there that I didn't see from which they sell ULP - call them.

Kunawarritji is building a new store and separating the fuel bowser and putting it on the outskirts of the community so that tourists don't need to come in. They sell ULP and I don't expect that to change - but then again, change is a certainty in indigenous communities. Perhaps they might change to OPAL, but there were quite a few indigenous driven petrol vehicles there, so I don't see it being cut off any time soon.

Billi has a newish fuel bowser set up and have OPAL and Diesel.

Picking up the phone and calling these communities is not hard really - perhaps the phone might not be answered out of hours or at lunch, but just try again - you will get through.
FollowupID: 576494

Sponsored Links