Anyone who has done inland roads Nth of Sydney??

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:16
ThreadID: 5918 Views:2340 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
people..

still planning the big trip and just looking at an "Explore Australia by 4 x 4" book.

The book gives the usual step by step illistrations and the minister for home affairs and myself were just wondering if anyone has done the Sydney to Gloucester leg, which takes us through the Gt dividing range, Freemans water hole, Kurri Kurri, Booral etc.

The next leg is Gloucester to Kempsey.

Has anyone done these tracks and would you recommend them? I won't be travelling with another vehicle unless i'm lucky enough to come across someone doing the same thing. (Anyone want to join me???)

I'm travelling in a GU 3.0 TD with a camper van. It will be during November.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:29

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:29
Andrew, we recently did the Gloucester to Kempsey leg, staying at Mooraback camping area (great place). It was a good track with some difficult sections - take an axe and the bush saw for clearing though. In the book they describe one section that should be avoided if wet, I think it was Grassy Ridge Fire Trail. Heed this advice. We went up when it was slightly damp and it was the first time my wife has ever feared for her life. If you loose forward motion on this hill your going to slide and roll. Should have realised before we committed to the hill, there is a small sign at the botton stating "Hell Hill" I wouldn't do it again by myself. Another good spot to stop on this trek was Dingo Tops Picnic and camping area - good set up and well maintained. We didn't actually make it all the way to Kempsey, after Mooraback we headed for the Oxley Highway and went to Wauhope (spelling?). It was also one of those treks that seemed to take a lot longer than what you originally planned (but don't hey all)Moggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
AnswerID: 24654

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:39

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:39
Cheers Moggs.

Would you say it's worth the trip to people like us who have never travelled the main road North of Sydney either...would you still go the bush road???

Also, the steep hill you mentioned, is there an alternative route around it if need be???

Thanks

Andy
FollowupID: 16578

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:43

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:43
Just another thought

How's the funnel web spiders in that part of the world???

I heard they come out at night. Of course, I'm not scared, no way..just thinking of the Mrs!!!! LOL
FollowupID: 16579

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:51

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:51
Yeah, there is a diversion around it, basically you just head straight for the Oxley Highwayand head along it 3km to hook uo with the original route (should be in the book).

As for whether it is worthwhile .... yes and no.

It is a great trek wth some beautiful scenery and spots to stop at, however it is pretty long trip. if you are planning on camping I highly recommend the Mooraback camping area.

If we do it again we will probably do the gloucester to Wauhope section again and then head up the highway if we are heading further north. I reckon this is a good way as you can head into Port Macquarie at the end.

Depending on what you are after in travel time and what you want to see should dictate which way to go. Gloucester is good for a day, nice town, as is Stroud and all along the main road in.

Anyway, I reckon you should do some of the inland trek and some highway.

Funnel Webs, didn't see any, but Mooraback is on reclaimed Pastoral land with plenty of Roos around. Went trough there once in summer and there were plenty of leeches by the river and plenty of ticks around. I don't think either would be a problem in winter.

We saw a couple of snakes on tracks, but that was about it. It is a pretty secluded area though, which is one of the reasons its not overcamped and still is in good nick.

Some of the trek between Gloucester and the Oxley Highway was also a bit 'out of the way' I reckon if you get stuck you could be there for a while. My wife was a bit nervous about this, but we had a winch and full recovery kit. Give it a go, it's a good adventure.Moggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
FollowupID: 16580

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:57

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:57
Andy, ust re-read your original post - don't know about getting through with a van - the section before crossing over the Oxley Hwy. Might be a better idea to go the main road, then along the Oxley, then into the Werrikimbee Nat. Park. I have seen vans at Mooraback who have come in over the dirt with 2wd. Once there you can trip around - theres a few good short drives around. Someone else might have taken a van through, 90% of it you'd be ok - but no-one likes to turn back 90% in!

Moggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
FollowupID: 16581

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 00:05

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 00:05
Thanks again Moggs..

My mrs sounds a bit like yours. She loves the 4 x 4 stuff stuff wants to get there without any dramas. Might have to got he highway and check out the sights that way unless I can team up with someone else who also wants to go the back way.

appreciate your time.

FollowupID: 16582

Reply By: Willykj - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 18:00

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 18:00
Andy,

We did the Gloucester to Oxley Highway section recently & it was easy - you would have no trouble towing a camper over that section. We followed the directions in the Explore Australia by 4WD. The day we did it was wet & no difficulties experienced (other than a filthy 4WD). This book rates the Gloucester to Kempsey section as "easy" & having done several of the tours in that book we find the ratings are pretty accurate.

Enjoy the trip
Willy
AnswerID: 24720

Sponsored Links