Nice Place to Visit "WILDERNESS" with 4 x 4 Access

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 22:41
ThreadID: 6005 Views:1961 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Notice I have now added "L" after my name to help destinguish if any other Donalds are out there.
I would like to share of a nice place to visit for a "LONG" Weekend or plus if you have the extra time to spare. But not so good in the Hot Weather: Best in Spring / Autum. The many flat, well grassed campsites are all along the river flats and near Bendethera in the Deua National Park, 2 hrs modest drive South West of Moruya on the South Coast.(just below Bateman's Bay)
We go there every Easter & the Odd long=weekend with the Family & have been for 12 years or so and we all love it.
The best entry is along "Womban" and then "Little Sugarloaf Roads" out of Moruya.
If it is wet you wil need BFG's A/T's or equivalent for traction. Very steep & narrow in parts, Pick the right time of day to travel as you cannot pass in places & difficult with camper trailers to reverse / turn etc. (we take our trailer)
There are still a few fire trails still open on the ridges also. Nice drives. We left there one year direct from Deua to Araluen along the "Merricumbene" Fire Trail, that was a mean drive especially with the camper trailer. (Not sure if this trail is still open??) Last Easter we had a few bikers ripping the place up but a deputation of several of us Serious Campers encouraged them to move on.
New "Clean" Pit Toilets, Clean Running Water, Roo's, Wombats & Possums.
Mobile phones don't work down there, only Sat phones etc. Deep Valley.
If you want to lay back & do nothing in the Wilderness,, this is the place. Excellent for kids. Hope to see you down there one day,
Regards
Donald
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 19:00

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 19:00
Thanks for that Donald. I have had a look at the area on my Natmap Raster 250K maps. Next time I am on the east coast I will definitely check it out.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 25128

Follow Up By: Donald - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:02
Willem,
Some more info. I took some Way points with my GPS last year, they are GDA94 GPS Data. I hope they are on the roads & not in the trees or underground!! (Signposting is lousey & some have been burnt)
Heading South throught Moruya from Batemans Bay turn right at the round-about (Princess Highway turns left) and follow the bitumen road curving to the left for a few KMs. Turn left onto Womban Road at 35.922440'S 150.049870'E The road is bitumen for about 1/2 K & then dirt after a small narrow bridge. Tight r/hand bend at another plank bridge a bit further on. Take the right fork at 35.999670'S 150.007940'E which is the start of Little SugarLoaf Road. Continue on this road until the Large Deua NP sign on the left. 35.971100'S 149.817450'E. Just beyond this point it is definately slow 4WD territory as it becomes very steep.
On one of the steep climbs you will have to turn an abrupt LEFT fork at 35.948890'S 149.797050/E. Don't go straight ahead or you will end up at Braidwood.
Just keep going down to the valley below on the Dampier Mountain Fire-Trail. (2 shallow river crossings) Take the right fork to go to Bendethera. 1st river crossing at 35.969450'S 149.747150'E
Second crossing shortly after after N Park information sign.
After the second river crossing, the pit Dunny is immediately on your right and time for a cuppa.
Camp, explore & enjoy.
catcha later
cheers
Donald
FollowupID: 17005

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 01:50

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 01:50
Bendethera is a great spot - although it can be frequented by idiots at times. I havent come in from Moruya side, but the Western approach is an easy trip - from Braidwood/Cooma Rd via Dampier Moutain FT. I would be interested to know if the Merricumbene FT is open.
Don't forget the torches to explor the caves ! Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
AnswerID: 25171

Sponsored Links