rip off child restraining device

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:33
ThreadID: 6009 Views:4365 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Im not sure how many people have dual cab utes like me without factory restaing points but i rang around this week for prices to install another device behind the drivers side rear seat to match the passenger side rear seat for our up and coming new addition in 6 or so (i hope) weeks.
I would never skimp on my childs safety for a few bucks saving but $300 to install a device is just absolute daylight robbery and i rang 5 different places because i did'nt believe them but they have to be authorised and qualified repairers (fair enough ) but this is as dear as the seat for the bubs sometimes dearer i think like many others i suspect that because they get the vic roads /racv authorisation it is a license to print money and i have had a unhappy incident with the local racv who does it in my town but they are all similair in price .

My 2 cents

arghhhh thats a load off1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray M (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:50

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:50
The Installation price includes the cost of the bracket does it?
I had the dealer install two as part of the deal when I purchased the rodeo. He said they cost $400

Hooroo
AnswerID: 25070

Follow Up By: Jason (macca) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 06:55

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 06:55
$300 seems ridiculous. I cant see what they do to justify charging
this sort of a price. I think its a case of "we can charge what we want" because the majority of people will pay top dollar as it
involves the safety of their children.

FollowupID: 16920

Reply By: Member - Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 07:48

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 07:48
Hi Toonfish,

Mrs Al here, one thing we've learned, [we have a 2 & 3.5 year old] that no matter what you buy for the little tackers it cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and if you're vehicle is slightly out of the norm, that is, not the family truckster, then it's even more $$$$$$$$$$$$$, personally I think that brackets, and car seat points, should be mandatory in all new cars, regardless if they're a family sedan, or dual cab ute, it's not good enough. Al just purchased a new Ute [Ford one, V8] and it has child seat points in it, which is great because you can bet you're last $, when you think the kid doesn't want to go with dad, it does, and it simply means swapping a seat over, of course the next drama will be, WHO gets to travel with dad, and who wants to stay with me.

All the best for the new arrival...

Lyn [aka Mrs. Al]happy driving, and if you can't find em...grind em..
AnswerID: 25074

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:54

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:54
Is the device the bar that goes Across, or just an anchor point?

If its the bar that goes across from one side to the other, then its probably worth $200, but yea, they can charge what they like, specially since theres LITIGATION AROUND.. If something went pearshaped with their item, causing death.. you can imagine Lionel Hutz(simpsons lawer) onto the case instantly looking for $...

You will probably find *IF* it is the bar, then it has to pass Engineers Certification, which would be part of the cost.

If its just the anchor bolt, then someone is raping someone with no KY
AnswerID: 25086

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:45

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:45
Yes truckster the barcket goes across the rear window it is a ver solid unit but just dear for what it is .
When installed it comes with no Engineers report but i have a ADR sticker on the other one.
What really annoyed me is there is one qualified fitter at the local racv guys but he said if he is not ther eto show the other mechanic where i want it?????
so i guess he has not much idea except maybe the other guy showed him which doesnt seem right .
I'll see what the other thread from sydney said and give the Melbourne office a ring.
cheers1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
FollowupID: 16954

Reply By: mq swb - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:30

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:30
Toonfish, just had the 83 swb patrol fitted with the bar across the back and with 2 child anchor points total cost $215 and all under a hours work, there is a couple of different web sites around which give prices, this may be of little help as I'm located in Sydney. just thought I'd try and help
mq
AnswerID: 25093

Reply By: mq swb - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:25

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:25
Toonfish just did a bit of ringing around here in sydney and asked for some prices, now I take it your car 99 navara dual cab and the rear seat will not fold down, I was told fitted $185 it's called a dca (i think) this company is located in sydney and melbourne if the rear seat will fold down $125 fitted, now their number is 1300 728 363 (national number for melbourne and sydney) and if they need to know where you got the price from tell them it was their blacktown office in sydney. see what they say
just some help, hope it works
mq
AnswerID: 25104

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:46

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:46
The rear seat does fold down on my model but i will now ring the number and see how that goes.
cheers will let you all know1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
FollowupID: 16955

Reply By: andy - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 16:04

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 16:04
I hadf one fitted in Seaford (Vic) 2 years ago by the local RACV dealer for $175.00 into my Landcruiser Ute. The device was a padded bar with a plastic cover and mounted vertically behund the passenger headrest. It only required 2 bolts and did allow the seat to be folded forwards. I didn't need an engineers report but the device was built to Aussie design rules and was approved by my insurance. I am not sure what the "bar across" is so I cannot comment. It sounds like this device allows you to fit a restraint in any of the 3 seating positions. I now have a current model Hilux SR5 Dual Cab and it has 2 mounting points factory fitted. I am sure that the mounting points are standard on all cars now. My 60 and 80 series LC wagons both had them standard.
AnswerID: 25110

Reply By: GOB member vic - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:30

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:30
hi guys & gals
unfortunately as most of us can tesify to as soon as you say 4x4 they think of a price double it and then add a couple of zeros for good luck when ever you buy stuff for your toy
steveits arrived just got to get photo and download
only 32 sleeps to go then off nth to darwin yeah
AnswerID: 25146

Reply By: Slammin - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 23:46

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 23:46
I've got an Hilux extracab and had the mini rearseat installed for our new arrival. Aftermarket - seat base, pair of seatbelts (child bolts standard l/r), cost @$600. I think you need a trip into a different town.
We had ours done when on hols in Sydney from Tanami Desert.
AnswerID: 25166

Sponsored Links