Fuel Economy - Post Turbo Install'n

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 10:20
ThreadID: 6052 Views:2128 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

I installed a Safari turbo + intercooler to my 100 ser LC some time ago. The chap doing the installing said that a boost compensator isn't really req'd as it is merely a smoke prevention device for urban areas.

Since the installation my fuel economy has dropped "overnight" from approx 8 km/l (12.5/100) to approx 7 km/l (14.3/100) on lightly loaded higway runs. I was, if anything, expecting a slight increase in economy. My driving style (speeds and acceleration etc) post turbo install is more conservative than the pre-turbo days.

My question is this: Would the addition of a boost compensator improve the economy at all or should I be looking at other areas such as tuning......

My truck is a 2000 100 series GXL manual LC with 50,000 km on the clock. The turbo was installed at 36,000 km.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers
StephenDon't die wondering !!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 16:14

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 16:14
Hi Steven
With the turbo/intercooler setup, you have the opertunity to pump in alot more fuel to get the maximum amount of power from the setup. You have probably chose the worst scenario to do a economy run, towing heavy or into the wind will/should get you better than std economy. These two things i think are worth looking at...
1 air filter- if it is a foam one, try a paper again-more surface area and less restriction of the extra amount of air going through it.
2 exhaust- if you have not optioned the larger exhaust, then think about doing this-3 inch is the go.
Andrew
ps the compensator will reduce fuel usage, but if you are soft on the pedal, it will be marginal. With 50k on the clock, it is a little early to look at the injecters and pump, but you will most probably find more power and economy tuning it in which case, the compensater should be added whilst there. Makes for better tuning of Air fuel ratios.
wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 25351

Follow Up By: djm67 - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:16

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:16
A paper air filter will increase airflow over foam?

Jeez if you are right then either uni/finer filter (and all the other brands) better get their dyno's and airflow meters checked or maybe we should all sue them for false advertising?

(tongue planted firmly in cheek)

FollowupID: 17285

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:28

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:28
Hi DJM67
Did you know the Toyota filter is washable?
Finer/uni catch more contaminants than pleated paper, and have less surface area. These facts are indesputable. Do u think they will also flow better in the real world where the filter is less than spotless and the usual DIY person over-oils them aswell?
FWIW i use one also, the part about filtering better won over more power.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 17287

Follow Up By: djm67 - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 20:47

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 20:47
That's why I usa a K&N, all the surface area, but with the better air flow and better filtering. Oh and yes, much more power with a K&N compared with paper.

Worth the extra $$$$$ over the foam ones. The company claims that a dirty K&N will still allow more airflow than a new paper filter. Had them in my motorbikes (FJ1200) and cars (5l Commodore & 2.6 Rodeo) for nearly 8 years, can't fault them.

A mate just fitted one to his 2.8D Hilux (non turbo) and he said the difference was staggering on a road trip to Sydney (from Brisbane), more power for overtaking and better fuel econ.

FollowupID: 17302

Follow Up By: Birdie - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:32

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:32
Foam Elements??/
Foam has severe limitations, dirt can penetrate at 12 -20 hours, will pass right through.
The dirt then becomes sandpaper on the pistons at 400 ft/minute+

Foam must be changed daily in dusty conditions.

Paper elements are a huge,convoluted surface area, some aftermarket elements have less paper and as such are cheaper.
They block quicker. Try to use genuine during warranty period.
FollowupID: 18127

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 07:56

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 07:56
Stephen,

Check Post 6038, some tojo fuel figures there. At 7km/L I'd be happy with that turbo/intercooler set-up. We get about that out of 97 turboL/C, and 79 series turbo ute.

Hooroo...

AnswerID: 25389

Reply By: desert - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:23

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:23
The installer is stooging you! He has "opened" the main fuel screw up to give it more fuel to go with more air (Turbo), consequently, on light or no boost runs, it is actually overfuelling and dumping out the exhaust. Tell the bastard to fit the compensator and do the trade justice or get out of business. If he won't, then take it somewhere else, have it adjusted on a dyno and do the emissions, your pocket, and our clean air a favour. To many cowboys in that caper!(bolt on idiots).
AnswerID: 25403

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:45

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:45
My GQ has suffered the same, a mates GQ the same, and lots of othes in the club the same.

Fuel economy dropping, mine is scarey now, I dont want to know.
The fuel Aneroid is only needed when you run high boost, EG 13+lbs.

You wont get an BETTER fuel figures. I dont know anyone who has had such success. The other thing is you now have more power, and tend to stick the slipper in a little more!

Boost compensator will do nothing, but getting your 'chap's settup checked by someone else may be an option. Maybe he hasnt set the fuel correctly. Some only up the fuel until it blows smoke, then back it off a little.
AnswerID: 25415

Reply By: Simon - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 21:25

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 21:25
Crikey,
I get 15l/100km out of my Petrol lightly loaded on the hwy!
AnswerID: 25434

Sponsored Links