off road camper trailers

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:00
ThreadID: 6109 Views:1946 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys and girls.

I am looking at buying an off road camper trailer. Does anyboby have any advice for me. I am a new comer to this stuff, so can you go easy on the "jargon."
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:27

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:27
Hi Michael,

Hard to offer any advice without knowing more about your circumstances. ie how many people, buying new or second hand, specific needs etc etc. What I can say is that once you start looking at campertrailers, the range on offer can be mind blowing.

I suggest you start by analysing exactly what it is you want by way of features. eg pull-out kitchen, water tanks, heaps of storage, off-the-ground accomodation for everyone or just mum & dad etc and know your budget. You could also look at hiring a few different types of trailers for a weekend or longer to give you some grounds for comparison etc.

Also, there are several on-line groups for campertrailers who can help you locate manufacturers, evaluate features etc etc. I run the WA campertrailer list at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa_campertrailers
You don't have to be a West Aussie to join so feel free to drop in and have a chat to the members there.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 25581

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 22:02

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 22:02
Michael,
As mentioned in the reply you need to know what you are going to do and how much you have to spend. I bought my first camper trailer about three years ago, secondhand for about $6500, I'm struggling to find something better when I look around for my budget. The Trailer is made by O'Brien they are over East somewhere they have a web site. This particular trailer has a full length draw which is the envy of a lot of our club members, I have my wife and two kids when we go away, the trailer also has an 80 litre water tank, gas storage and three wooden draws that go the full width, the canvas is good quality and easy to erect, has an Orac coupling and four smaller storage draws on either side of the wheels, two on each side, loads of ground clearance an awning, an wait there more, reflectors, mudflaps, a really firm mattress and easy to manouvre when detatched from the fourby.
This is very much a personal choice thing as to your needs, budget etc. I'm more than happy with my purchase I think it was just luck, right place right time, I0 would have another one of these anytime, I didn't have the 20 odd grand to buy a Kimberly. It would be as well to buy cheaply first to see what it's all about and find out what's important to you, from there you can be more specific when you upgrade.
Hope this is some help. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 25641

Reply By: djm67 - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 22:16

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 22:16
When you find out what you want, check the 'trader' area of this website, there are second hand ones there that may suit at a reduced (from new) price.
AnswerID: 25644

Reply By: Member - Donald L- Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 23:11

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 23:11
Michael,
Watch out for the suspension, there are traps, search the Forum etc
Cheers
DonGet out there and use it.
Life is too short not to.
All the best...
Donald
AnswerID: 25650

Reply By: Mike - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 01:02

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 01:02
Don't! Buy a tent as you can get more places, it's cheaper, you don't have to repair the thing all the time and you will use 4l/100km less fuel on road!

Why do you want to pay $10k to pull about your mattress?!

If you really must we hired a Cavalier OffRoad once for a trip round the Goldfields and it was pretty good - but we only did it because we were staying on tracks between caravan parks!!! My wife made me do it honestly!
AnswerID: 25657

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:14

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:14
Mike,

I couldn't disagree more. We're onto our second off-road campertrailer and have towed both all over the place in all conditions and all terrain types. We've NEVER had to make a single repair to either trailer except replacing worn rubber seals around the rear tailgate. General maintenance rather than a repair. Anyone who is constantly repairing their trailer more than likely has a trailer not properly suited to the conditions and/or is not driving to the conditions.

The only downside I can see is slightly increased fuel consumption (although we found it comparable to having a roof rack on the vehicle, which we no longer need with the trailer) but that's a small price to pay for the conveniences and comforts our campertrailer affords in return. You know, things like camp set-up in 5 minutes flat, off the ground sleeping for 4 (which we've discovered enables us to camp in places we never could with the tent), heavy duty canvas affording superior protection (compared to even the best tent) from the elements, water tank, 12V power supply, 2 x gas bottle holders, 4 x jerry can holders, heaps of storage and much, much more.

We've kept our tent for those occasions we can't take the trailer somewhere but so far in 5 years we haven't needed to resort back to the tent. BTW, I love tent camping too but when it comes to tent vs. campertrailer its like carp vs. barramundi.

:o) Melissa

Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 17417

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 15:26

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 15:26
I'm with Melissa and, like her family, we have kept the tent for quick, bare-bones over-night stops or for places we just can't get the trailer.

The trailer allows for more comfortable longer stays and I've not seen a tent yet that could match the weather protection of the trailer. We suffered 30 to 40 knot gusting winds on Fraser Island last week and didn't even have the canvas pegged down. Try that with a tent.

Anyway, like almost everything discussed on this site, its horses for courses.

BTW Michael, after 12 months of research and shopping around we had our trailer and the canvas custom made separately to our specs and paid a mere 60% of what we would have paid for a "known brand" with less canvas. So, take your time, lots of time, and shop wisely.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 17427

Reply By: Member - dolfn - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:48

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:48
If you have a spare $35K, buy the ultimate. It will go anywhere and is made to last. Not that I am biassed at all ;)
See you on our travels

H,K & A
AnswerID: 25679

Reply By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:24

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:24
Can't add much to all Melissa's comment above. I have an Aussie Swag and am most impressed with it, but there are different designs available in every price range. The 'you get what you pay for' principle applies, but depends what your needs, desires and budget are like. There are some occasions where a trailer isn't suitable, but we've enjoyed the change. Good luck!Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 25683

Reply By: Gary - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:39

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:39
18 months ago I bought a second hand camper, just a basic setup with one BIG difference. The Annex is 12 foot wide rather than the standard 8 foot, you would not believe the difference it makes. Also ensure plently of flow through ventilataion... lots of windows, as they do get warm in hotter climes.
I found starting with a basic model I was able to determine what I really wanted as I went along and have modified it as I was able to suit my own purposes.
A few examples, some trailers have the wiz bang pull out stove a sink etc I made my own tail gate unit for storage and stove and just bought a std camp sink unit with sits beside the tail gate ($80). There is plenty you can do if you are a little savvy with the tools.
But if you can afford go for a wide annex. My wife and I travel with friends a lot and they have tents and we use the area for all meal prep, storage and eating particulary when it is wet.

Enjoy what you can afford
AnswerID: 25716

Reply By: andy - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 20:06

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 20:06
I Build camper trailers in coffs harbour NSW I work for coffs canvas if you reqiure any information I can give you help if you need.
AnswerID: 25723

Sponsored Links