HJ 61 rear diff repair

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 04:03
ThreadID: 6121 Views:2474 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all,i am at a bit of a loss as to where to get repairs done on my HJ61 after haveing 2 bad experiences in the last 4 yrs one with a wheel coming loose 500 k after repairs and more recently a front brake caliper bolt falling out and the other one finger tight and the caliper swinging out and hitting the rim,then my mate had a back left tyre come off his old ute the other day after getting new tyres fitted 2 weeks earlier.i have had problems with a rear diff pinion bearing being loose for some time now and am not sure where to get it repaired PROPERLY, i bought the vehical about 5 years ago and decided to get ARB air lockers put on it and so took it to the local ARB shop (or so i thought,as i had other work done too wich was not to a proper standard, which they didn't want to know about when i went back and then a few weeks later i came accross an ARB stand at a field day in S.A. which i brought up the issue with the rep who was more arrogant than the shop and also didn't want to know about it as he said the business concered was not an ARB dealer, which i said what are people supposed to think when the shop has big ARB signs out front????,any how another another learning curve) so after having the air lockers fitted i was about to set off to melb 550km away toget on the spirit of tassie that evening and so all packed up ready i thought that i would just give the old girl a quick grease and as found the the yoke on the rear diff had too much play up and down,but i had to go so i thought that i will nurs it along and get it fixed at devonport (the so called ARB man didn't think that i should have expected him to notice the problen while fitting the air locker???)so i went to toyota at devon port and they had a look and said that it had a non genuine yoke on it and the spline was worn,so they got one sent from launceston and fitted it with new seal and nut so all was well,so i thought.10000km later the seal is leaking but there is't any play so i go to a toyota dealer in vic who pull it to bits and say that it had a non genuine washer installed which they did't have but had sourced one from the wreckers for me ,so all good again, then 10000km on and in WA getting a wheel stud replaced at northam toyota (top blokes) i ask them to check over the vehical,loose pinion bearing,unfortunatly i was on a deadline and had to riskit back to vic,but they said that to fix it properly that it needs to be pulled completly to bits and a full bearing kit installed and also a new collapsable spacer installed and that they will only do the job if they send it to pearth,but now i am in vic and really have no faith in any one,i am almost thinking of sending it to perth or even to the new holand dealer who does our tractor repair and has never stuffed up yet.sorry about being a bit long winded but i would appreciate details of a diff expert who is willing to back up their work with a worth while warranty,an who can also handel the air locker side of things .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:29

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:29
Hi Dingo
I do all my own work, because i suppose i can rely on it most times..(i draw the line at auto trannys) i used to own a hj60 with ARB lockers (self install) and on my way back from Perth, with Caravan on the back, got this bad noise from the rear diff...it was a pinion bearing, anyway, not much oil was falling out, so i continued home, then after a few weeks decided to pull the diff. I was amazed at the condition of the bearings... inner was good, outer had square rollers but was still going strong. I am sure i had 4 or 5mm up and down play at the uni...but no other damage had occurred yet...(go the 60)
Bottom line here is i put all new brgs in, aswell as the OEM collapsable spacer and new end nut (more $$ than brgs can you believe the nut is $10.60) set it all back up beautiful.
If your Holland dealer has a good reputation, then go there, its not rocket science with these diffs, just bearings and a dial indicator will do the job.
Andrew Wollongong NSWwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 25667

Sponsored Links