Thanks evebody: you change my mind!!

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 03, 2008 at 20:52
ThreadID: 61372 Views:3349 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Dear friends!! I am very grateful with your replies. Thanks to: Peter S, Footloose, 3.0turbob, Mr Pointyhead, Serg (VIC), JohnF56, robak (QLD), unko, Steve63, Landy, Mfewster(SA), Tony B (QLD), equinox, Michael ( Moss Vale NSW), Louie the fly (SA), TrevorDavid, jezza68, Willem, Matt M (ACT), Vivid Adventures, blue one, Crackles, Dean, Mick O (VIC)...

May be with your opinions and advises, you save my life!

Now, I understand that may be my plan is not possible for several reasons. Obviously, the Simpson desert, the most known part for you, It is impossible by bike and without support car.

Unfortunely, I can't come back next April to Australia. But, before the "great expedition", I want to take experience in Australia. I think this is my problem. I don't know Australia, nevertheless I have searched since months all the possibilities. I would like to do the "easy variant" (nothing is easy in the Australian Outback). I think is possible to join the west coast with the east via Tanami Track, Oodnadatta, Lyndhurst, Innamincka, Tiboorburra, Sydney; or the same variant via "Great Central Road".

These variant are compacted tracks, there are more water, and the occassional traffic would help me in a emergency situation.

Sorry for to be persistent, but... What is your opinion about these "safe" variants?? In the central hours, I will stop and protect myself for the high temperatures with a thermal blanket.

If I am not persistent, I never have crossed the Amazon, Urals, or Scandinavia in winter... Sorry all the inconveniences.

Thanks a lot for the help!!!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 09:55

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 09:55
I'm speechless! After 395 views not one reply or follow up?
Good one you mate I reckon you have made the right decision.
M.
AnswerID: 323763

Follow Up By: Wisey - Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 18:50

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 18:50
Mal

quote "I'm speechless! After 395 views not one reply or follow up?"

Not sure what you mean, his previous post had 12 replies from ppl and 14 followups, 6 of those followups were from the spanyoli

Andy
FollowupID: 590880

Follow Up By: Wisey - Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 18:56

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 18:56
Mal

OK, Re-read and I think I get it now. Ignore the babble above.
FollowupID: 590881

Reply By: JohnF56 - Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 10:13

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 10:13
I'm sure you've made the right decision.
The Timing - October - for you is unfortunate. During our winter - say April to August - and with a support vehicle is worth considering - if that is what you want to do.
All the best.
AnswerID: 323766

Follow Up By: spanishxtremcyclist- Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 17:54

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 17:54
Mmm... A don't like support vehicles. I like the self-sufficency.

But I will think about.

Thanks!!! ;)
FollowupID: 590872

Reply By: Nav 8 - Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 10:25

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 10:25
G`Day spanishextremcyclist,,,,You have made a wise decision. If you start your crossing from the west from Kalgoorlie through the Great central road through Eyres Rock (Ularu) to Alice Springs then other routes east as suggested, that alone will be a great achievment. Australia is a country with a vast area of desert in the centre that can be a great adventure to many people with various modes of transport. However it can also be a very dangerous place for the unwary and ill prepared with the heat and almost total lack of water. It has taken the lives of many people over the years including Australians that should have known better. Anyway I am glad you have made a wise decision and I wish you all the best with your trip.
Regards
Nav
AnswerID: 323767

Follow Up By: spanishxtremcyclist- Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 17:53

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 17:53
Hi NAv 8,

Which variant do you advise me, Tanami road or Great Central Road??

Thanks in advance!!
FollowupID: 590871

Reply By: deserter - Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 15:23

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 15:23
Let me understand - you wish to cross Australia west to east via the desert tracks on a bicycle? How long do you think it will take ?
AnswerID: 323798

Follow Up By: spanishxtremcyclist- Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 17:49

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 17:49
Hi deserter!!

Yes, you are right. I want to cross Australia from the west coast to the east (Sydney). I am going to start in October. I know that is late, but I don't have another chance. I can't go to Australia from April to September. It's impossible for me.

It will take between 3-4 months. It's a push bike, not a motorbike. I want to pass the most difficult area before December an January, the hostest month. In the central hours of the day, I will stop, and protect myself with a thermal blanker. I will carry a lot of water with me.

Best regards from Spain!!
FollowupID: 590870

Follow Up By: blue one - Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 20:47

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 20:47
Entonces mi amigo que va a morir y su madre nos maldicen. Lo que proponemos es estúpido y egoísta ... Usted tiene que pensar en la gente que buscará por usted y pueden morir en el proceso.

Usted ya está muerto, aunque se buscará para usted. Estoy cansado de que estúpido aventureros que hacer todo el mundo arriesgan sus vidas.

Crecer.

No venga aquí.
FollowupID: 590916

Follow Up By: spanishxtremcyclist- Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 22:14

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 22:14
Hey Blue one! But what is the problem??

Tanami road or Great central road are compacted track, and yes, I don't have much water, but I can ride 70-100km per day, and I can get every water point every 3-4 days.

Only, I must take care about the central hours in the day.

I love my live. I don't think that with this variant I am going to die... You think so?? Why??

Thanks!!
FollowupID: 590943

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 17:47

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 17:47
Senor, ola. I am sure you made the right decision not to do a crossing of the Simpson Desert but there are many quite extreme treks you can do.

Driving up to Poeppel Corner from the Warburton Crossing on the Warburton Track we saw two such cyclists that had ridden to "The Corner" and were riding back to Warburton Crossing - a dry river crossing. The trip would be about 400kms total and a lot more bearable on some more stable road bases than the shifting sands of the SD.

They had a vehicle for their supplies and support but I am not sure they didn't do a supply drop at the turn-around point. That was in July when the weather was mild. It has to be a consideration.
AnswerID: 323808

Follow Up By: spanishxtremcyclist- Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 22:18

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 22:18
Thanks for give this idea. I will study, but I think I will take some easy variant, because when I arrive in this area, It will be in December. It will be too hot for to try risky variant.

But let's see. I want to start, and see!!

Thanks a lot!!
FollowupID: 590944

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 22:04

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 at 22:04
WANK question ....wasting members time and pity David and Michelle couldn't wipe it. Wasters like you screwing this Forum up..Fair Dinkum people just bleep off from sites like this ..they got better things to do ..
AnswerID: 323873

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Sep 05, 2008 at 19:29

Friday, Sep 05, 2008 at 19:29
Spanny, here's your problem. I think your new plans may be achievable, providing all goes well. But. At the time of the year you are travelling, if you have any problems, such as bike breakdown; tyres etc. Your water wont last. You will be relying on a passing vehicle turning up quite soon. On those roads at that time of the year, this is a big gamble. In the cooler months it is a reasonable bet that someone will be along with reasonable frequency. In the hottest months, traffic becomes much rarer. You also need to be aware that the weather is highly unpredictable and you need to be carrying gear that you may never need for weather that may not happen.
AnswerID: 324022

Follow Up By: spanishxtremcyclist- Saturday, Sep 06, 2008 at 23:52

Saturday, Sep 06, 2008 at 23:52
I will be very very aware!! I will carry with me some push bike accesories, for any mechanic problem.

Thanks for your advices!!
FollowupID: 591243

Sponsored Links