Scorpion Generator 800watts

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:12
ThreadID: 6146 Views:11680 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
On impulseI bought Scorpion Generator mod ET950L, 800watts, in Katherine NT. We are moving from Sydney to Nhulunbuy and we were using our Trailblazer and Engel’s fridges as freezers, to ferry in meat & frozen food, so we needed the power. We tried to start it at Mainoru Store 300km from Katherine, and the recoil start does not work. Very annoying.
There are no addresses or contact phone numbers with the warranty papers, nowhere is the name (or county) of the manufacturer or importer.

The road into Nhulunbuy is pretty rough, 750 of mostly bad dirt, by the time we got here there was not a tight nut or bolt on the unit. It still has never been started.

If you are considering one of these then check into it more thoroughly than I did.
Skips@Nhulunbuy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - dolfn - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 14:10

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 14:10
Thanks for that info, I have seen these units advertised by the importer on eBay. There are alot of them on there. I nearly bought one, but was luck enough to find a second hand never used Honda Ex10. I paid only $800 for it. It works a treat. Sorry your unit is not as reliable.

Kelvin
See you on our travels

H,K & A
AnswerID: 25784

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:58

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:58
gday skip.
i bought a different type genny from china but might be the same brand with a different name.if its the same looking as the ones for sale at helton.
www.helton.com.au they are a copy of the yamaha and spares avail;able from yamaha.i can get service and parts from importer here in vic but no good to you up there.
shame you had trouble ive used mine heaps and not one bit of trouble.new job coming so no fraser this time:-((
AnswerID: 25817

Follow Up By: Cobes - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 23:59

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 23:59
Hi Diamond,
Just wondering if you can provide a little further detail on your generator?
What have you run from this unit?
Was it on 240 volts or 12?
Have you ever measured the dc voltage output for charging batteries?
I believe that it needs to be around 14 volts to charge a battery.

I would like to purchase one but people are saying that they are only good for running lights because of the quality of the power produced.

Others have mentioned that they should be fine if you use a form of spike protection.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Cheers
Chris.
FollowupID: 17552

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 16:37

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 16:37
G'day Diamond,

I am contemplating the same genny as you have. What do you run from it? Is it stable enough to run a smart charger?

Any info appreciated."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 17604

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:34

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:34
I just purchased one virtually identical to the one at Heltons, but it was branded "Millers Falls", 950w peak, 850w continuous.
Price was $295.00 at Toolpower in Oakleigh, Victoria.
FollowupID: 17665

Reply By: Member - Tony and Helen - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:07

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:07
Hi fellas
These genies are fast getting a good reputation, sounds like they forgot the predelivery on your unit, as with most imported gear they need a good going over and a tighten up. I quite often find bolts that need another turn and we also run all units under full load prior to sale. I have a 650w,2.5kva and a 25kva gen and have found them to be a very reliable unit.
Let me know if your stuck for repairs or parts
Cheers
Tony
Diamond arnt you suposed to be in qld???she said you're
not going
down there with
me in here!
AnswerID: 25874

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 18:15

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 18:15
gday all.
we took our genny for a huge work out at easter.
used for running the bar fridge used it for the kids to watch tv/video/dvd/stereo during the day with out any trouble at all.
used it to caharge 12 volt battery also run the little battery charger(camerea batts ect) we were camping no where near any one so at tea time we run a few lights to see what we were cooking.
there very quiet.
i think we used is for roughly 30-40 hours and used about 12 litres of fuel.
no smell.
i also use it at home to run a 850watt angle grinder no probs.new job coming so no fraser this time:-((
AnswerID: 25915

Sponsored Links