getting more for more money

Submitted: Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:45
ThreadID: 6165 Views:1387 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi groovers, just something that i have rang around on but it might help all us "little engine mob"
i own a 93 2.4ltr T/D surf. according to one of the shops in wollongong who specalise in turbos and other good gear.
as most of us who own a t/d surf they are fitted with and efi system and that causes a hell of a lag at low speeds. i rang them and floated a few ideas past them and the sugestioins that they came up with might help somone so i thouhgt id bang em off on here.
all prices are guestimates on site unseen over the fone

*to replace the electronic fuel pump with a mecanical is approx $800-this will bypass the computer and and give you an instant gut full of fuel

* kick the turbo boost up by a few pound $200 ( bearing in mind that the "standard boost for the surf turbo is aprox 8 to 10 pds )

* fit intercooler $1000

total cost for me (war office allowing) is $ 3000 ish

another option that the guy sugested is for $4000 a reconditioned 3ltr D take the turbo off my 2.4 and fit it plus fit an intercooler

so there you go pay your money and take your choise
hope this helps guys

cheers rexy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 13:04

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 13:04
I would go the 3.0 transplant you get more bang for your bucks.
AnswerID: 25893

Follow Up By: REXY - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:20

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:20
hi tony that is what i definatly thinking of going for.just got to get the $$$$$$$$ but we all know how that goes

cheers rexy
FollowupID: 17782

Reply By: kissyeah - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 17:36

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 17:36
rexy,
completely off topic, however I am moving to Nowra at the end of August (navy) and am keen to know where too go 4wding. I am a homesick Victorian and all I see NSW as is a place that doesn;t seem to support my favourite hobby?
AnswerID: 25912

Follow Up By: Member - John- Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 18:42

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 18:42
You will find that there are a few 4WD clubs that have their own places for 4wd-ing, as well as running trips. I am in the Toyota Landcruiser Car Club, and they have two tracts of land around southern Sydney, but I am also aware that quite a few other clubs also have their own space. Might be worth a look for starters.
Jack
FollowupID: 17608

Follow Up By: REXY - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 15:44

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 15:44
kiss , im at SSSS at creswell drop me a line at lee.hunt2@defence.gov.au a few of my mate and i (pussers and civies) there is normally abuot 5 cars sometimes 10 go out at least once a month somtimes every weekend and we figure the more the merrrier. the guys i go with are really good ( im off my "l" and now on my "p"'s when it comes to 4wd ant they are really good for advice and alot of "how too" e.g i didnt feed enough fat into it to get up a pretty good hill (L2) and managed to stall it 3/4 of the way up. rather than bagging the bleep e outta me all they did was walk back down the track, lean in the w9indow and tell me how to get up it again. there is none of the "what cant do it pussy ?" attitude that comes with a few people out there....

so drop us a line when you get here (bring a heap of warm stuff) and we'll work somethign out

cheers

rex
FollowupID: 17789

Sponsored Links