Porta Bote - Better Than a Tinny!

Submitted: Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 11:14
ThreadID: 6222 Views:16528 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Are you sick of carrying a 60kg+ tinny on your roof? You should check out Porta-Botes. They are a fold up boat that is lighter (20kg), and in most ways superior to a tinny. The fold up to the size of a surfboard, they have a large draft, they are strong, flexible, easy to assemble, and look exactly the same as a tinny.

I have found mine to be fantastic, but unfortunately have been forced to sell it due to financial reasons (see add in trader section).

I have been using it up north amongst Crocs and I reckon it would be harder to tip than a tniny (due to its flexibiliy).

Check out www.porta-bote.com

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: paul - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:17

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:17
and i just saw my first porta-bote fully made up but transported upside down on top of roof racks on a jackeroo (spotted near Childers on the Bruce Highway). that opens up new possibilities for where to put the internal parts, can obviously just keep the whole boat set up on the roof - and a few hundred kilos lighter than a tinny to get off.

saving, saving, saving .....
AnswerID: 26160

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 20:32

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 20:32
I've had one for over 20 years, has a sail kit as well, we've carted it all over Oz, used it anywhere there was enough water including after flood in the Simpson desert. Have had it out in the open sea a few times too, biggest restriction is the size of outboard around 4hp. But hey when you are on hols time doesn't matter. It travels really well on roof racks, takes up about as much space as a big surfboard. The seats can be put in bag and put up there too.

Peter
FollowupID: 17810

Reply By: Rick - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 19:46

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 19:46
Hi,
Just saw this post.
I have had it in the back of my mind that this was the way to go. Surprised me with your comments re the Porta bote up at the Cape. I am going next year but was a little reluctant in amongst the crocs. Has anyone heard much or anything in regard to crocs taking on boats?
That was what I was concerned about. I would appreciate peoples comments on the sizes of the botes. I was thinking of the 10ft unit but would appreciat peoples comments on the 8ft and 12 ft units. Basic useage woud be fishing in freshwater using either a 4 or 5 HP 4 stroke O/B.

Regards
Rick
AnswerID: 26278

Reply By: possum - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 16:30

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 16:30
I am up in Nhulunbuy in Arnhem Land at present and can give you some info . . .

Basically crocs do not take boats. The do not tip boats. They usually do not even approach boats at all. They are not an aggressive predator, and they do not expend energy in predation. They are an opportunistic predator, or a wait and pounce predator. ONly on the Mary River, where they stupidly teach crocs to jump out of the water to take food (for tourists sake) would I be worried.

The porta bote is more flexibly than a tiny, and more difficult to tip over (if you are still concerned). I would opt for the 10ft model. 13ft is a bit large for transportability (if its not that portable why buy it?). 8ft to small for comfortable fishing.

I would also recommend buying a 2stroke (preferrably a Tohatsu) as they have more grunt, and are not a sensitive about how they are stored on the vehicle when travelling (wrong angle of storage can flood them with oil - a real pain).

I guess it is up to you. It is fine to talk about this stuff - but when you cruise past a 5 metre croc you might just change your mind!!! I generally stick to the smaller creeks and rivers where the big ones are less common. If one looks dodgy then move on quickly.

Good luck

And remember that mine is for sale. I am coming to Sydney soon and can bring it if you are interested in buying it.

thanks
Poss

AnswerID: 26442

Follow Up By: Rick - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 13:22

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 13:22
Thanks for that Possum,

Yours sounds fine but I am a little cash strapped right now and I am afraid that the Boss would object. You are offering it about six months too early. If only more cash.

How old is yours by the way? I believe they have about ten years warranty. It was the way I was planning on going but just too early. If you do not find a buyer keep me informed.
Regards
Rick
FollowupID: 18558

Reply By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 13:13

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 13:13
Just got a reply from the Australian distributor.

2.82m (8'6") $2590
3.27m (10'8") $2680
3.7m (12'4") $2790

Portable Boats Australia
28 Moores Rd
Glenorie, NSW, 2157

Ph (02) 9652 0707
Fax (02) 9652 0808
portableboat@ozemail.com.au
AnswerID: 26531

Reply By: possum - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:23

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:23
Hi Rick
Ours is about 3 months old- we bought it just as we set out on our trip........They are not a cheap item- as you can see - and we too put ALOT of thought and time into its purchase. We searched high and low for second hand ones and they are like hens teeth. In the end I justified it by giving it to the boss for mothers day- a good way to get around a new toy........
Anyway, even with a year of preparation we have still run down the bank balance faster than we thought- hence why we put the boat up for sale. However the longer we keep it, the harder it is to part with. We have now left East Arnhem Land and are heading west over the next few months and we are strongly leaning towards tightening the belts and keeping the boat at least until we get to Perth and see then if we need a cash injection. It is too much fun and quite a good conversation starter!!! We also reckon as soon as we get to WA we will regret its sale big time.
My email is : possum2000@hotmail.com or bigd_train@yahoo.com.au- stay in touch, it could be the answer for both of us!!!!
Cheers Rick
Possum (Dave and Kristi)
AnswerID: 27577

Sponsored Links