Fuel prices- how cheap is this!

Submitted: Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 15:48
ThreadID: 6307 Views:2288 Replies:9 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Unleaded fuel in Rockhampton at the woolworths servo with the discount voucher is now 67.9 cents per litre. Wish I had a 1000 litre tank to store it in.

Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: J_in_WA - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 16:06

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 16:06
I wish... We are paying around 95 cents per litre over here in Perth today and even on our cheap?!? days we pay around 80-85 cents per litre.

How many jerry cans do you have?!?
AnswerID: 26553

Follow Up By: Ray - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 16:11

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 16:11
Wasn't game to fill jerry cans. There is a line up as far as you can see, took me 1/2 hour to get in. Still it's 20 cents cheaper than the norm so a good saving on 100 litres.
FollowupID: 18168

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 17:18

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 17:18
just goes to show how much profit is the fuel pricing if you can 30c differance between the states makes you wish for price regulation
Bruce
AnswerID: 26560

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:01

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:01
i know you all might think that i sit at home and think of conspiricy thoerys but where im origanally from (gunnedah) woolies have set up a fuel shop there and scince 2 or 3 petrol shops have gone bust one even sold up before they got there not wanting to take the risk. because everyone is doing it tough out there 3c/l is alot, now woolies is taking advantage of the fact that 1c/l profit in all shops is still a lot of money to them. what do you think will happen to the cost of fuel in 2 or 3 years when they run the other 3 (i think) servos that are left out of town?
please no-one get me wrong im not having a dig at anyone for buying cheap fuel i think fuel companies are up there with insurance companies but its just another angle to look at i always make a point to go to another sevo back home when i know itll only save me 2 or 3 dollars.
did anyone know this?
i work with a bloke whos girly works high up in the food chain for a fuel company, now in sydney a board set a price of fuel. if a shop runs at a loss for the month and stick to that cost of fuel that shop will get a rebate, if a shop is caught not running that price and still run at a loss they wont get a rebate. and ive been told that this "board" do have contractors who check stores all the time for these prices.
yes i know its 3rd info but i believe it.
AnswerID: 26565

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:25

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:25
IN general where ever Woolies has opened up fuel outlets the local fuel prices have dropped at all servo's, in places like Parkes & Orange the majority of servo's prices are lower than say Bathurst where they don't have a woolies outlet. most of the servo's are still in buisness, people will pay a fe w cent's extra for drive way service. the end result has been better fuel prices for everyone. some small towns have no competing servo's. same prices every place in town & over Priced all the time. wathc what happens with coles buying a few hundred shell servo's. you will get the two rival's compeating for your dollar. they still employ people to run the servo's
FollowupID: 18188

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 23:55

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 23:55
Woolies have bought out majority of Shell Service stations.. you think they had pulling power before???

WAIT AND SEE!!!
FollowupID: 18207

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 18:56

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 18:56
I think it's Coles who have done the Shell Outlet purchasing so many places, so little time !!!
FollowupID: 18227

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:15

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:15
Now that coles have entered the fuel business, it does worry me that in a few years we'll all pay for the Woollies/Coles discounted fuel but could that be any worse than the way we've all been held to ransom by the likes of Shell, BP and Ampol for years before Woollies came along???

Our nearest servo is a BP. Went by there last week and fuel was 97.9c/L so I drove on a k to Woollies. With my discount voucher I bought fuel for 81.9c/L. That's a saving of 16c/L for driving around the corner. I filled the Nissan from almost empty ~130L saving $20 which is considerable. BP get real!!!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 18365

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:29

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:29
Melissa.. theres gotta be a reason its so cheap, and with everyone cuttin and diluting diesel with all sorts of crap, Id almost drive to the next servo.

Same here the BP and SHELL within 300mtrs of each other are 96, but the Mobil up the road is 88..

HOW?
FollowupID: 18367

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:35

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:35
Truckster,

Something I've been wondering for a long time too. Also, why can the independents generally sell fuel cheaper than the big fuel companies?

FollowupID: 18368

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:37

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:37
Well you pay for what you get, you get Diesel, heating oil, old sump oil and more.

look at that company that got nailed for $55 million in fines, the crap they were 'cutting' diesel with is scarey.

I NEVER buy from those no name servos at all.
FollowupID: 18369

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:45

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:45
Maybe it is the adds that enable cheaper fuel prices, I don't know. But we've made a point of looking for the cheapest fuel for years now and have never experienced any fuel related problems. Having said that, our GU runs petrol not diesel. Mind you, we never had any problems with our old BJ40 either but perhaps the older diesels without all the elctronics aren't as sensitive as the newer ones.

FollowupID: 18370

Reply By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:11

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:11
Cheap days (Mon - Wed) the price here (Eatons Hill on Brisbane's north side) is between 69 - 75 cents/l. That is at most of the servos, not woolies.

Thursdays it jumps to around 85 cents/l then on Sunday it starts creeping back down again.

Tell me they are not racketerring.
AnswerID: 26568

Reply By: Lyds - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:23

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:23
According to my Service guy, they have seen a few victims of Woolies diesel here in Sydney south.

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 26570

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:40

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:40
Lyds
What sort of problem's with the fuel?
eg bug's , water, dirt contamination????
was the fuel tested and the outlet notified of problem and asked to please explain why?

we get all sorts of stories about Brand "X"s fuel causing problems. each week the "X" is differant
our local Diesel Mechanics see heaps of vehicals, using fuel from all over the place, most common fuel delivery problems the see are from the smaller places that don't turn over much fuel & get water + bugs building up. plus of course if you where in victoria you have possibly been buying heating oil& kero for diesel, something a large national company is un- likely to do!
FollowupID: 18189

Follow Up By: Lyds - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 21:10

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 21:10
I believe it had to do with where they get their fuel from and it having insufficient lubrication. This would result in damage to the fuel pump(?), particularly in more modern diesels.

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
FollowupID: 18196

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 14:44

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 14:44
Thanks Lyds for that, there are a lot of older vehcials suffering injector pump seal leakage now that the sulphur level is being lowerd. new seals of the correct material to suit the low sulphur fuel fixes the problem(they have been using low sulphur fuel since the 1970's in europe)

if the owners & the service people are sure if the problem originating from the one source I would be intersted if they have payed for the repairs like BP in queensland have?

As for lack of lubrication from the diesel oil, if the fuel was that bad you would expect to see the hundreds of vehicals that fuel up out of the stations tanks pulled up on the side of the road after a few tank full...
dont laugh it has happend with petrol stations with leaded fuel full of water in the past,
Thanks
Jack
FollowupID: 18221

Reply By: relaxed QLD - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 23:11

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 23:11
In Maryborough (the QLD one), unleaded sells for 78.6 cent/liter, deisel 77.3 cents. 30Kms down the road in Hervey Bay deisel is 84.9cents, don't know what unleaded is cause I own a deisel and don't look at the petrol side anymore. But it must be dearer, cause there are a lot of people coming up here to do there shopping and fueling up. Hervey Bay businesses are are getting really cranky because of lose of trade.
95kms down the road in Gympie, deisel sells regularly for 74.5cents, always fill up there when going to Brisbane.
Relaxed
AnswerID: 26592

Reply By: Westie - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 23:28

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 23:28
In southern WA now all fuel is transported by road in fueltankers. Someone tell me how a town such as Esperance which is 720km from Perth, population of 15,000 is ALWAYS at least 2-3c cheaper than Albany which is 450km from Perth with a population of 30,000.........the sums just dont add up.

.....Remember the days of driveway service....these days the "console operators" dont move their butt off the stool behind the cash register. Recently I used a servo and there was no water in their "watering can". I had the nerve to ask if it was possible to get some fresh water, he replied "we only do it at the change of shifts".

Want more, another servo I WAS a regular at stopped putting in a homebrand type windscreen washing fluid (worth about $1.65) in his 2 washer buckets in order to "save costs"....obviously he saved a packet because he didnt need my $120 of fuel a fortnight anymore....

.......anyhow.....thats my 2 cents (a litre) worth.......
AnswerID: 26593

Follow Up By: Slammin - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 00:12

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 00:12
Westie, I understand where you're coming from and probly the guy was lazy but I'm sure if he did break the "rules" and got a gun in the face, the boss wouldn't say the customer is always right.
FollowupID: 18208

Follow Up By: Hank - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 12:12

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 12:12
Westie, we have the same problem, we are less than 400kms from Perth at Manjimup yet our fuel is regularly well over a dollar/litre. We also have a drive way service, the guy comes out and watches you put fuel in your bus, watches you check the oil and wash the wind screen. The other thing is they all shut at 6.30pm in winter!!(its been dark for an our and a half by then, no wonder i want to go to Darwin).

Hank.
FollowupID: 18219

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 16:39

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 16:39
One reason fuel is cheaper in Qld is the Govt doesn't collect as much fuel excise. (so I'm told!)
In the ACT region the fuel can fluctuate up to 10c /L from week to week - can't work out why - maybe it goes up on pay weeks, or weekends to hit the tourists?

I reackon Qld & WA should pay more for fuel than the Southern parts of Aus - they don't have to spend as much money on warm clothes in winter! Had a Max of 8* the other day !Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
AnswerID: 26625

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 11:18

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 11:18
The Queensland goverment actually subsidises the price of fuel, with money from the federal goverment, when the GST came in QLd wouldnt sign up until they got the money to keep doing it!

the ACT is much like the rest of NSW that surounds it! we see fuel jump 10-12 cents a litre from tuesday then creap back down until monday or tuesday it's at it's cheapest. baically they follow the pay packet cycle, every fourtnight pension day it goes higher, they say it's driven by supply & demand!

Rule number one, always buy fuel on Mondays!
Rule number two NEVER buy fuel on payday!
Rule Number three Never go Shopping on pension day!
FollowupID: 18237

Reply By: Graham - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 18:11

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 18:11
If you want cheap, we were in Iran a few years ago during a London-Kathmandu trip and were paying 0.75 of one cent per litre.
AnswerID: 26632

Sponsored Links