A bit of a giggle

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 09:27
ThreadID: 6320 Views:1905 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
i had the joy earlier this week to go through the gammit that is obtaining a firewood permit and as i live in a box ironbark forest which is now restricted it was a lengthy process for 1 i had 1 day before the cutting of dry felled trees finished for the season (of course i needed dry) so i filled out the 3 page application stating why i needed the wood and signed my stat declaration and calculated the price a whopping 60 or so dollars for 2 metres even though i only wanted 1 metre(hardly what i call sustainable but oh well) then headed off into the bush with no 1 son to get my first metre , slim pickings but i got it ok then returned after lunch for my 2nd metre and just as we cut the last log into a length we spied the ranger in his new Prado trying to get to us post haste but was unable to cross a culvert (in 2wd) which i had no problems in with a trailer so he reverses out and takes a longer detour ,when he does arrive we were finished loading bar 1 last peice of wood he checked and signed our permit then inspected our load and said we had enough which was fine as we had finished but we couldnt get the last peice (a bit picky?) .
No worries we said we are leaving now , Mr ranger then reverses out in the prado and hits a tree in his haste leaving him with a busted rear lights and a bent bar , we found this hysterical after his efforts to reach us .
I wonder how much 4wd education these guys get nowadays?
And it poses an interesting question on government insurance as this track is not marked in my fire map so therefore not a marked road ,
From now on i wont be getting local wood , I'll go back to my dads on the river for redgum like i have before cheaper and easier as they are pickier with their wood up there and i often pick up cut lengths already cut.
cheers
hey Diamond what a re ya doing up a dogs blurter(legend?)
lol1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hank - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 11:55

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 11:55
It sounds like the fee is to cover repairs and recovery of Ranger vehicles!!

The red gum around our area leaves a lot of ash. We get jarah, as long as you only get trees that are already down and you leave your vehicle on the road, rather than cutting your own road, and thats to prevent the spread of die back. There is no fee here either, but our interpretation of the rules could differ from our friendly Ranger's.

I went to a driver training day that was attended by some govy workers, the next day one of the attendees drove a ride on lawn mower up the back of a landcruiser!

cheers Hank.
AnswerID: 26611

Reply By: bigboy - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 16:19

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 16:19
I HAVE TOWED HEAPS OF RANGERS ON AND OFF THE BEACH
ONE WAS IN A NEW F - TRUCK ON IT BELLY

LUCKY I WAS DRIVING A TOYOTA
AnswerID: 26661

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 21:08

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 21:08
Toonie,

The guy MUST have been a 4WD legend getting a Prado into 2WD, i thought those things were full time 4WD, maybe its only the garden variety issued to smashem-up derby rangers that are 2WD....or maybe they make em 2WD so they cant get too far into trouble.

Go you good thing!So many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 26788

Sponsored Links