Camerons corner

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 22:46
ThreadID: 6331 Views:2783 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I will be heading up to the corner in a few weeks, and will be towing a camper with a 2.8 TD Hilux. I'm thinking of doing a loop( instead of backtracking to the hill) across to the strzeleki up to Innamincka then across to Thargominda, Cunnamulla and down to Bourke. Orrr cutting across to Wanaaring and Bourke. I read in Ron Moons exploring aust. by 4x4 that the strez crossing from the corner to Strez track is fairly hard packed but could I tow a camper safely/ easily. And I've heard stories about the Wanaaring road is very bad. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Athol.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slunnie - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 07:46

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 07:46
Gday Athol,

You will have no dramas on the road from Tibooburra to Merty Merty than Innamincka. The road between Cameron Corner and Merty Merty is currenty in great condition, though there are a few spots near Cameron corner with some wet weather damege due to the recent rains. Just be wary not to brake in the bends with a camper as despite the hard surface, the top has little rock like marbles on it which are slippery. You will also go through a lot of Gibber country.

Sorry, I can't comment on the Thargominda - Cunnamulla route.

The road from Tibooburra to Wanaaring is very good fast dirt (110km/h), though between Wanaaring and Bourke it deteriorates into a looser surface with buildups between the tyre ruts (100km/h was fast, prob 80km/h with a camper). I passed a 2WD ute on the Wanaaring road.

Regards
Slunnie
AnswerID: 26649

Reply By: GB - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 11:04

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 11:04
G'Day Athol,

You may want to think about taking the Bore Track from Bollards Lagoon north up to Innamincka. It costs $10 (payed at the homestead) and is worth the trip. Interesting country and not much traffic. Comes out just east of Innamincka. I was there a few weeks ago and despite a fair bit of recent rain it was easy going (and no problems with a trailer).
AnswerID: 26653

Follow Up By: duncs - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 15:56

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 15:56
Athol,

You will be fine with the trailer just take it easy and enjoy the scenery. Remember it is not a race.

GB I assume that you pay the bucks to the homestead at Bollards Lagoon. If the track was totally dry would it be soft, ie bulldust and sand. Or would it still be easy going. Despite what I just said about it not being a race I am planning a trip up that way and time will be a consideration. Not because I'm in a hurry but I can't afford to waste time by getting stuck.

Duncs
FollowupID: 18239

Follow Up By: GB - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 22:42

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 22:42
Duncs,

Yes you pay at the homestead (just off the main rd - its well sign posted). They give you a mud map and away you go. Unless it was straight after heavy rain it would be easy going. Good quality station track at the worse. Took us 3 1/2 hrs from the homstead to Innamincka with a few stops.
FollowupID: 18260

Reply By: athol - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 16:38

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 16:38
Thanks guy's will the hema outback map be enough or should I get some topo's of the area. Are the roads well signposted ?
AnswerID: 26668

Reply By: Slunnie - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 21:43

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 21:43
If you have had a Desert parks pass, those maps are ok, though the Hema Road Atlas book is also a good one.

Regards
Slunnie
AnswerID: 26714

Reply By: B.P. - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 21:18

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 21:18
Athol
Beware of the road? from innaminka to the tar going to thargo, its the worst bloody road ive been on. Its extreemly rocky and corregated.!!!! Ripped a shock off my trailer there a month ago.

Concider cam corner to nocundra pub as a bypass. lots less trafic.
AnswerID: 26790

Sponsored Links