A Question on Oziexplorer

Submitted: Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 00:06
ThreadID: 6354 Views:1992 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am having a look at the Oziexplorer tool and have a couple of questions.

I have a copy of NATMAPS and am trying to use it with the OZI tool to plan a trip I want to make.

I will purchase the tool if I find it useful to do this. At the moment I currently don't have a GPS so may not get the full benefit of this tool.

I may be using this tool incorrectly and this is the base of my question.

I am finding it very difficult to plan a trip that goes over a large distance (Canberra to Proserpine area). I want to go the back way and take my time but because I can't get an over all view of where I am it is hard to plot the trip. I have an index map of Australia which helps but it is not good enough for what I want.

The tool that comes with NATMAPS seems automatically loads up the next map when navigating from place to place (Oziexplorer requires you to do this manually). But this tool does not allow you to put waypoints etc.

Perhaps Oziexplorer is not the right tool for what I want - I do not know, but it does appear to offer many good features but not the one I need (I think).

It would be nice if OZI kept another screen open which showed you where you were and allowed you to plot on this, drilling down to another map when you wanted more detail - or does it???

Also, I don't know if this is just the trial version of the product but I find the Cursor Zoom facility very unclear and hard to read (this may be the maps??? or my resolution - 800x600) - the Natmaps tool is able to display OK though.

Thanks in advance,
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew O - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 13:41

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 13:41
Sounds to me as thoug you are using the wrong scale of map to start with. Join the oziexplorer user group on YahooGroups and you'll find some larger scale maps available for download (including the map file). From the maps you rough out the route, then drill down to the 1:250K maps you have to wok out the detail. You'll also find a wealth of other information here to help you.

With regard to the zoom - its just pixellation of the maps. They are not vector maps (a type that describes the map), rather a bitmap image. Zooming in or out on these kinds of things, when done the fairly simple way Ozi does it, gives this result. You could probably improve your screen resolution as a first step.

Cheers
Andrew
So much to see, too little time ...
Andrew
AnswerID: 26757

Reply By: Ray M (Vic) - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 15:37

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 15:37
As Andrew mentioned you need a larger scale map. Put the cursor at any area of the map, right click, click find map at cursor and a list of available maps will show from which you can select a new map to display. It takes me only a coupla seconds to flick between maps but can be terribly slow with a slow processor.Hooroo
AnswerID: 26763

Follow Up By: richard - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 22:10

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 22:10
Thanks Guys,
I have downloaded lots of stuff from the groups - now to use it.

Which map do you usually start with. Do you use an index map

It appears that the Australia_full150.map for both index and hi-level is a bit better than what I have had.

Richard

FollowupID: 18339

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:11

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:11
Richard, I don't use an index map - I find the scale too small and not really of any use. Start with a state map for the state in which your journey begins, then follow the instructions above. BTW, you can get Ozi to load the next map. The ability to create a route, add comments like "15.2 kms to left turn", save the image and print it, will really help you plane the trip (and have fun doing it). You'll also be able to give a copy of your intended route to family/friends for fun (and safety). For $99, its one of the best value bits of software you'll find.

Have fun.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 18364

Sponsored Links