Help & Advice Please

Submitted: Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 20:53
ThreadID: 64749 Views:2816 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Having lived in Cairns for the past 26 years and enduring another very hot and steamy summer we are starting to think of cooler areas to go to this time of year. Ballarat & Bendigo come to mind but all other suggestions will be appreciated. We have a Camper Trailer and there is only the two of us.
Many Thanks
Sue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: austastar - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 21:22

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 21:22
We got caught on the mainland in January 1971 - stinkin' hot.
The Snowy Mts gave us some relief from the heat before we could get the boat back to Tas.
cheers
AnswerID: 342321

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 21:25

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 21:25
Bendigo is bloody hot over summer and very dry. The difference is the lack of humidity I suppose. What about places down along the Victoria Coast. Cape Patterson, Inverlock, Lakes Entrance or even west of Melbourne along the Great ocean Road. Gippsland even. Cooler and close to the mountains and the beach. Warragul, The Latrobe Valley, Maffra, Yarrum, Sale. Heaps of options.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 342322

Reply By: wendys - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 22:36

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 22:36
Mick O's suggestions good. Would also add Tathra area (commercial parks and National Parks), Eden area (ditto), Mallacoota is wonderful - again caravan parks or National Park camps. If you can be away from power etc, Wingan Inlet and Thurra River in Croajingalong NP are superb. Tidal River at Wilsons Prom. Several commercial parks on Phillip Island. The whole of the Victorian coastline would take ages to properly explore and enjoy. In the west, apart from the Great Ocean Road, Narrawong and Nelson are good. Problem is that over the Xmas and school holiday period, everywhere is booked well in advance. Even the best National Park sites have balloted bookings for which you have to enter by approx mid-year, I think. If you are prepared to commit and book well ahead (like now) for next summer, you should get somewhere for that month. Once it gets to late january you are more likely to find spots as you go or on short notice. Also, consider Tasmania.
AnswerID: 342337

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 23:28

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 23:28
The couple of times I've travelled near you I found the mountains behind you FREEZING!

Aren't the Atherton Tablelands cooler?... Maybe humidity is high still though?

Otherwise come on down to Gippsland Vic. We have lovely cool highlands to visit, or the 90 mile beach... take a dip if you are too hot.
AnswerID: 342340

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 03:48

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 03:48
Honey,
26 years in Cairns, plus a camper trailer, and you're considering Mexico??
Strewth Lady....???
Go West, Sue, go West. Cost about a jerrycan of fuel each way.
Bugger me, I've swallowed the bait again eh.

Nah! Spat it out. Nobody, but Nobody, could live in Cairns for 26 years and remain ignorant of the high ground on your western doorstep.
So what is it you seek, Sue?
Herberton has a lot to offer, climate included.
It's a shame you're not a member: we still have interests up that way.
Honestly, I'm gobsmacked Sue. Are you in the legal profession, or similar?
Best I stop, true.
Jeff.
AnswerID: 342355

Reply By: Best Off Road - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 07:31

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 07:31
Sue,

Having lived in Townsville for eight years I understand your plight; it's a godawful place to be at this time of year.

But be warned, between January and March in Victoria you will strike some hot spells. These generally run two to five days of temps between 35 and 42. It is a dry, searing heat. If you've ever been to Hughenden in the heat, you'll have some understanding.

I would suggest you budget to spend some time in Cabins/Motels with aircon.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 342362

Reply By: heartbeata - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 12:12

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 12:12
Thanks everyone for your help. You have helped us to pin point that the Gippsland area in Victoria just after Xmas holidays could be the way to go, also Bright, Myrtleford area. We would travel in our own backyard but at this time of the year the weather is the same all over up here. Just spent a week at Herberton and had to come back .... Hot as hell.
Cheers
Sue.
AnswerID: 342405

Reply By: wendys - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:53

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:53
Certainly is not as hot as hell in Vic at the moment. This does, so far, seem to be a colder than usual summer. Had to put the central heating on last night - in Melbourne. Even when we do get a hot spell, if you are along the coast, there is usually a cooler breeze later in the day. And we usually do not go for too long without a change in the weather - the variety can help.
AnswerID: 342443

Reply By: Madfisher - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 20:27

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 20:27
Central tablelands area of NSW is also quite cool esecially above 900m. Went to thomsons creek dam last night flyfishing and nearly froze. Mist was coming off the water, would have been about 10c, but with the wind chill felt a lot cooler then this. For the record I had on a winter singlet, moleskin shirt and a polar feece and I was still cold. This is near Mt Lambie between Bathurst and Lithgow. Oberon only rarely gets over 30, and this year most days out their are in low 20s.
Their is a function on this website that shows the temp in most of the main cities in Aus.
I feel for you as I hate heat and humidity, that why we are off to the snowy in a few days time. I will expect a frost while we are down their. Where we camp is 1240m with surrounding Mts up to 1750m
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 342469

Reply By: JamieOzz - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:30

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:30
I take it you are primarily considering Victoria. We recently visitedBendigo and must say we had a great time with our young family. It has a great mix of facilities, history and parks, lakes, attractions etc. It is not over-run by tourists. Depending on how 'small' a town you may be looking for, Beechworth is also a great little town but on a far smaller scale than Bendigo. Melbourne of course has everything you could want in terms of entertainment, facilities and restaurants but it is becoming very congested. The outer suburbs of Melbourne can offer the best of both worlds. Where ever you decide I think it is safe to say that the humidity will be far less than Cairns. Good luck
AnswerID: 342536

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:49

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:49
Sue, I guess if you've lived somewhere for 26 years you must be approaching my age group.

We are West Aussies but visited Eden on the SE coast of NSW about 18 months ago in our caravan.

Very impressed with the Council caravan park. Very clean, right on the beach. Beautiful town.

The local RSL clubs come and pick you up for dinner and some pokies (a novelty for us West Aussians) and bring you back.

The whaling museum is great. Have you seen the ABC docco about the Killer Whales of Eden? Get that from an ABC shop first, you'll love it. From Eden you can nick over to Bega and taste some cheese.

As I said, even if it's on the way to/from Gippsland, it's a beaut town.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 342540

Sponsored Links