Defender or Troopy 76 as a tourer?

Submitted: Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 00:31
ThreadID: 64817 Views:11964 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hiya gents, and ladies,

I'm in the market for a tourer/daily driver. I'm looking at a newish (post 2007) Defender 110 or a 76 series Landcruiser. Both are approx the same size fitting into the medium-size category (can't be full-size since I need to drive it around Sydney), 4 doors, have the same fuel capacity (but will need to be expanded), approx same size tyres and definately aren't boring to look at.

Of course both are over-priced for what you get - no airbags, manual only, but at least the Defender has traction control, ABS, anti-stall. The 76 does have the nice TD V8 though :-)

Both will get the same amount of goodies - 2" lift, tyres and the usual camping bits and pieces. I'm not looking at a trailer or CT so will be living out of it.

I used to have a 75-series also. Does it drive much differently to the 76?

I know LandRovers aren't exaclty known to be the most reliable but I'm hoping a 2008 example will have ironed any bugs out.

Which would you choose?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:57

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:57
For ease of parts in remote areas and reliability it has to be the 76 Yota.

Also the V8 will leave everything else for dead from the torque and power perspective.

Drive them both and its chalk and cheese.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 342665

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:51

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:51
As I recall, Defenders have a reputation among many as possibly the most capable, true off-road vehicle around...... while there are devotees of course, the appeal for many ends right there. Without being rude to any happy owners, I considered a new one a few years back but could not understand how anyone could find any comfort at all in there, for distance travel. Maybe its me....... ? ............... some magazine reviewers have been quite disparaging re "a total lack of attention to ergonomics" ......... but that's magazines and who would trust them ? ........anyway ........ who would want a car that Queen Elizabeth II used to drive ? :-o)
FollowupID: 610376

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 18:41

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 18:41
As John (Vic) says.....
If you are spending serious time in the bush, it is not a question of which is best, it is a question of getting bits and finding experienced people where you happen to be.

Cattle stations, miners, tour operators......only buy ONE brand.

There will be a spare rear spring under the next tree.

And this from an OKA owner.......

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 610444

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 18:51

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 18:51
Funny you should say that Peter, Some have 2 brands as I have 2 OKA's and 3 Toyota's, Should I get the Contract with parks that I am after, I will get a V8 Troopy as well.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 610446

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 21:08

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 21:08
Steve, there are some jobs that even a Tojo can't do.......

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 610462

Reply By: ross - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:32

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:32
I dont think its a contest. Leave the LRs to the fanatics.
As for no traction control on the landcruiser,they have optional front and rear lockers instead.

This a South African TV comparison between the Defender and 76 series Landcruiser.

He seems to think the LR is slightly superior because of its traction control.
But the only difference really is the Landcruiser lockers do not engage automatically when you shift into 4wd.(which I find preferable)

He still prefers the Landcruiser overall though : )

Part 1
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=ptiE501ZdwM
Part 2
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=PMhOhT5nwZk
AnswerID: 342682

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 12:07

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 12:07
That was quite interesting, no V8 over there it seems??

Here is the videos to make it easier to view.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 610385

Follow Up By: ross - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:11

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:11
I forgot they dont have the V8. Its to do with the emission laws.
I guess he would like the 76 even better lol
FollowupID: 610448

Reply By: Mark Taylor - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 13:55

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 13:55
As a Land Rover owner (Current car Disco 3) who has had 4 Series and Defender models... Landies and their owners fall into 2 catergories.. either they hate the car and will never own another.. or they love the car and would not drive anything else.

See if a dealer will let you have a drive car overnight for both Tojo and LR and see what you think.

Should you choose Land Rover, you will be in a minority group.. but hey it might just be what you want!

Good Luck

Cheers

MArk t
AnswerID: 342718

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 17:30

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 17:30
"Should you choose Land Rover, you will be in a minority group"
I doubt that's the case Mark. There would be far more Defenders on the road than 76 wagon's, they're as rare as hens teeth in Victoria & for good reason. IMHO they are the 3rd worst 4x4 Toyota have ever built behing the Tercel & Bundera!
Cheers Craig.........
FollowupID: 610430

Follow Up By: Mark Taylor - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:47

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:47
Hi Craig.. my "minority" comment was in relationship to people who post on Eo forum.

I usually never comment on vehicle choices as i get shot down by the Crusier/Patrol crew who delight in telling me I drive a POS!

Cheers

Mark T
FollowupID: 610455

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:20

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:20
Hi Ben

Don’t be put off by discussions on reliability; generally any well maintained vehicle (of any brand) will serve you well, just familiarise yourself with any known issues so you can monitor them.

In terms of commuting and touring, you need to consider what the balance will be. Being a Defender tragic I have a Defender 130 kitted out for touring and commuting is in a Defender 110 (mind you it was never intended that way – just happened!), however there are plenty of other commute vehicles that would fit the bill better than a 110 especially if you will be doing more commuting than touring. You may want to consider a Discovery.

If you are looking for a robust vehicle that will take you anywhere than don’t rule the Defender out, you may find that you don’t need to spend additional money on upgrades. The new Defender 110 is quite refined, when compared to earlier models, but many will say that is subjective.

For me, I prefer to stay with the pre-electronic versions of the breed…and that is a view I have for all vehicle makes. Less trouble in the bush…

Good luck with your choice.
AnswerID: 342729

Reply By: OzTroopy - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:25

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:25
Neither ... but as food for thought .....

Late model, bland and mundane motoring with normally ... a good degree of mechanical reliability ... go a japanese brand.

Quirky, standout motoring ... something exotic by todays australian standards ... Landrover ( which used to be an aust std until clever jap marketing ) or maybe even a 4dr chrysler JK wrangler - something which has a lot more features than both the other two put together. ( not that Im recommending it of course - the last paragraph of this post excludes it from MY want list. )

Are odd brands really an issue ???? ... As an example, my 12yo jeep cherokee has had less problems than the best vehicle I have ever owned ... an 84 troopy.

As for parts ... A discount card with a freight company will probably be your best friend for any brand parts supply - when away from major centres. Late model tojo parts ( other than std service items ) are just as hard to come by in remote areas as any other brand.

Any thing with electronics is a breakdown waiting to happen. No servicing ability of the parts, no indication of impending failure, no reason for the failure all makes electronics a bigger risk - for remote travel - than a leaking jerry can. It does however widen your range of options for purchase of later model vehicles ... as they all suffer from the OVERUSE of electronics.
AnswerID: 342732

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 17:38

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 17:38
Depending on your percentage of touring V's daily driving, a 120 series Prado may be far greater value with plenty more features & far superior handling than both of them. With a few modifications they will tour almost anywhere in oz including remote trips like the Madigan & in far greater comfort.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 342758

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 20:16

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 20:16
If you've owned a 75 series at least you will know exactly where you are going to fit all your accessories. The interior hasn't changed for 20 years.

I have a TDV8 trayback and it's a great 2 up tourer.

The other interesting thing to consider is that the rumour mill says Toyota will bring out a whole new range to replace the 70 series this year, 2009. The mill also says that there will be dual cab and extra cab variants. It will have the TDV8 engine.

Personally I'm hoping for twin turbos and a 6 speed auto as per the 200 series, an extracab, all the safety stuff, ABS, airbags etc (actually that's a given because a lot of mining companies, mainly BHP sites, aren't buying the current 70 because it lacks these things).

Why not hang off for a few months. See what the new range brings. See how desperate the economy makes the dealers.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 342775

Reply By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 17:41

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 17:41
Go the 76 ours is great towed our 21ft van to North west WA fro 3months it was great. Seen a lot of Mine 76 series while up there also a lot of Britz 76 series. Very popular up there.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 342891

Sponsored Links