in car dvd players.

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 20:01
ThreadID: 6486 Views:2405 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
looking at puting dvd player and a couple of screens in the gq.
picked up 12volt player for $199 with more options than our $450 sanyo.
been watching ebay for tft/lcd monitors and can hold of 2 units 5.6" for $440 delivered. cant find one for that price in stores.
question is does anyone know about theese units(lilliput)from china.
apparently a sony copy or does any one know of cheaper ones

thanks
got over no fraser.
get on with life(more weekend fun)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 23:23

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 23:23
Wheres Luke...

hes the Swami on this sorta lectrical crap.
AnswerID: 27403

Reply By: ramp - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 08:51

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 08:51
hi diamond, the price seems great $640 for player and 2 x 5" lcd screens. im sorry i cannot answer your question on the quality but hope all goes well.ive been thinking buying the roof mount srceen 10.4" 12v and with the xbox and inverter mounted between the front two seats on top of the consol,but for $1200 just for the srceen i can justify the price.sorry boys (3 of them )its back to gameboys and number plates. cheers
AnswerID: 27410

Follow Up By: PJ - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:34

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:34
ramp -
Strathfield have big 7" (never hear of roof mounted 10.4" screen??) for $700. Qaulity supurb. Xbox mounted in rear of GQ on custom made bracket to absorb shock - audio through fm modulator, then switch, then cordless head phones - PERFECT. Total investment $945 - Kids happy
MUM & DAD Happier

PJ
FollowupID: 18871

Reply By: boobook - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:07

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:07
I regularly go to Shenzen in China, just over the border from HK. Last week I saw the 5" screens for $130. 7" 16:9 for about $180 and a 12" 16:9 for about $300. This is about 30% less than last time I checked about 2 months ago. So the price is coming down rapidly. If you can, wait a few months, I am sure they will get a lot cheaper in Australia too. I am half thinking of inporting a bunch myself to for a few friends who have been interested.

There are many brands but a lot of them seem to be the same with a different sticker on them. They are all made in China, but then again I think the Japanese bands are either made in China or Taiwan.

At these prices it is getting worthwhile for in car kids entertainment connected to a PS. I have a Sunroof so the roof mount option is out of the question. I am looking at ways to mount the screen to, or near the consol between the front seats in a way that I can remove it when we are not on long trips.

Any ideas for a Pajero NM? I would like to do it ithout drilling in obvious areas.

Boobook

AnswerID: 27435

Follow Up By: PJ - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 14:52

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 14:52
boobook,
smaller mons on each headrest (and one for the wife up front) is the go.
FollowupID: 18893

Reply By: boobook - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 19:54

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 19:54
PJ that is not a bad idea. Do you know how I could attach them to the back of the head rest?

I did see them in a headrest of a BMW or something in a photo but it looked like it was a factory fitting. The headrest would look pretty messy by the tim I had hacked at it with a knife I think.

Boobook.
AnswerID: 27487

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:23

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:23
boobook,

You might be able to get an auto trimmer to the headrest work for you.
FollowupID: 18970

Reply By: Member - Terry- Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 21:14

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 21:14
Diamond, I bought from Strathfield a sansui dvd and 2 5 1/2 inch monitors for $1200 6 months ago. After many problems with lines in the monitors it was realized that the dvd was faulty. This apparently was not covered by warranty becuase I had fitted the unit myself.(of course there was nothing in the warranty stating this).Strathfield offered to fit the unit and monitors for $600.
After they begrudginly replaced the monitor every thing is great. I would never deal with this company again.
As to mounting the dvd it is set under passeger front seat facing the rear (for child access) with the remote sensor taped onto back of the console.The monitors had a bracket for mounting onto a dash or similar. I turned these around and used heavy double sided tape and long screws to attach to the under side of the headrests,the monitors stick out a little but is ok.
The job of fitting into the head rest of Jackaroo was to much to bear and looked too difficult. The kids use either the tiny speakers from the monitor or remote head phones. These headphones are good,however the are also radios and are easily knocked off the required frequency.I intend to fit normal headphones with a fitting similar to an aircraft.

The dvd is brilliant for keeping the kids quiet especially as they will watch the same few over and over. Check out Jaycar for monitors I am sure they had some at a fair price.
terry
AnswerID: 27505

Reply By: steve c - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 23:37

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 23:37
diamond,
I am also looking into the same thing. As a comparison, I found a guy in Sydney who is selling the combined DVD and a 5.5" monitor in a carry bag that fits either behind the seat or between the seat for $530 +$30 frieght. An extra monitor with holder for the head rest is $250 plus a splitter. You can find the site on Google under 'Zanon'. The monitors from China are a bit cheaper of course.

steve c
AnswerID: 27532

Follow Up By: pilbaralad - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:45

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:45
If you check out the Zanon European website the have much better gear. Maybe I'm paranoid but it looks like they are dumping the superceded stuff on us now they have moved onto better gear. I am going to wait a little while until the monitors are slightly bigger for the same cost instead of getting two of the 5.6 in monitors, wait to get a 7 or 9 inch.

Not travelling Newman to Adelaide (3 days drive) until November so I'll bide my time keeping an eye on ebay.

P.S Just picked up a set of Hella 4000 for $326 on Ebay!
FollowupID: 19071

Sponsored Links