Terrano cargo barrier

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 20:24
ThreadID: 6488 Views:1754 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi does anyone have a Nissan Terrano with a cargo barrier? I have a 91 model and the shops I have checked out, pull out their books, search for a while, and then tell me they only make them for the 97 model and beyond!
Is this really the case? I beleive the early pathfinders were very similar to the Terrano, but is the interior space indentical? Any info appeciated

Thanks
James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 20:35

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 20:35
have a look at below post they might be able to helpgot over no fraser.
get on with life(more weekend fun)
AnswerID: 27372

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 21:50

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 21:50
Jimmy
I would expect that the Pathfinder and the Terrano would be identical.
The '97 model is not a "Terrano" it's a "Terrano II", made in Spain.
You don't say if you checked for a fit for a Pathy.
The Terrano has the split rear seats but I'm not sure that the Pathy had the same.
You won't get too many responses Re: Terrano's on this site. I suspect that there's only a few of us.
Do you have any probs with your Terrano??
Sorry I can't be of more help
Oskar
AnswerID: 27391

Follow Up By: Jimmy - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 19:11

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 19:11
Hi Oskar

I did enquire if the pathfinder barrier would fit the Terrano but the bloke was pretty vague and unsure so I didnt press him to much. There is an amazing amount of info available on this site so I was hoping somebody knew for sure. I will have to track one down at a dealer, take my tape measure and try not to look to weird while I check it out!
I have had my Terrano for about 8 weeks and mainly bought it for work with a little bit of recreation on the side.
I found it was more comfortable on the road than a lot of the other 4wds around the same price and had a heap more creature comforts!
I had it checked over before the statutory warrenty ran out and the only real problem was the torsion bar on the left was fully adjusted and the left front was down by 10mm $600 for new torsion bars and things will be fixed.
This is my first four wheel drive, all of my previous 4wding was in a two wheel drive! So I am very keen to hear from anybody how they really go offroad. I hope to head to fraser and North straddie before to long and to this end I tracked down some sand on Sunday and proceeded to get bogged, but it did take a some pretty soft sand to stop it and I had not dropped the pressures (wanted to be sure I could get out) I think the main problem was the ground clearance, as the ruts got deeper it turned into a bit of a plough.
I would like to hear if you have had any problems or can pass on some advise as to the limitations of the Terrano also if you know of any forums or websites where Terranos are welcomed!
Thanks for the contact
James

FollowupID: 18914

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 16:32

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 16:32
Jimmy
Regarding your torsion bars...
Make sure that the torsion bars are actually dead before you replace them.
There are a number reasons why the front may have dropped.
The front spline on the Terrano bar is not "master keyed" or "master splined" like some others and can be rotated to bring the rear adjuster back up to an adjustable position.
If the gearbox has been removed then the torsion bars will also have been removed and have not neccessarily been replaced into the right rotational position and hence not adjusted correctly.
I found this out, to my detriment, a couple of years ago when I got stuck in some deep ruts on Fraser Is after a gearbox repair. I tried to get off the beach to go up behind Indian Head forgetting to shift into 4WD.
The combination of deeeeep ruts, sooooft sand, collapsed front suspension, and 2WD brought on the embarassment of having to be snatched out by a Suzi. To make it worse the driver of the Suzi was one of my past students (I'm a school teacher - Manual Arts).
You can be sure that when I got back to my campsite I jacked up the Terrano's front end, whizzed out my trusty spanner and cranked up the torsion bars to an approximate, suitable height.
Just thought of your front end this morning when I was out traipsing along some sandy tracks on Bribie Is.
You might have already checked some responses I have made regarding the Terrano on the beach in some threads in the forum. If you haven't, use the search term "Terrano" or "Fraser" for dates over the last week or so. We love our Terrano on the beach.
If I can offer any advice on this vehicle, don't hesitate to post me on the forum.
Cheers
Oskar
FollowupID: 19119

Reply By: jules - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:19

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:19
We have had our Terrano (92 model) for about 4 years - have been all over - Palm Valley etc etc - as well as Fraser - did not have a problem anywhere - we took our camper trailer onto Fraser - no probelm there either - tho I wouldn't do it again - not good backing with a trailer when a tour bus is coming at you and demanding right of way - but as to sand and ruts - no problems. We have had very few problems with our Terrano - presume yours is diesel? always do your oil changes at 5000k and filter at 10000 - petrol filter 20,000 - find a good supplier of spare parts such as a trucking/4wd shop and you shouldn'at have a probelm - we have done over 100,000k since we got our car and will probebly keep it for quite a while yet - never had a problem on this site with talking to other Terrano drivers - and I believe the interiors are the same - we used to have a 2.4 91 model Pathfinder (gutless wonder) and it had split seats in the rear.
good luck - stay at McKenzie lake campsite - great spot - unless you want to stay on the beach -which we didn't (had no problem with wild animals at McKenzie)
Jules
AnswerID: 27576

Follow Up By: Jimmy - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 19:33

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 19:33
Thanks Jules I appreciate the info.
It is good to know the Terrano is a capable 4by I mainly bought it for work but a couple of trips just off the bitumen already has me thinking of bigger tyres, higher suspension etc but I must resist.......
Actually if a really looked into it I think the prices would put me off!
I have managed to find air filters, oil filters, oil etc at repco and assume most spare parts for pathfinders will fit if required, I am pretty sure the book says to change the oil filter every 5000kms cant hurt anyway I think the oil filter cost me about $18 the air filter was the killer and 6 litres of oil ain't cheap either!
Thanks

James
FollowupID: 19024

Sponsored Links