Stockton Beach & Other good camping spots?

Hi all

I was doing some research on the net and came across this forum. It seems that it's a good place to be if you like the great pout doors.

I am looking for advice. Myself and around 8 mates are planning a camp trip over the Australia weekend in Jan.

I have been looking at Stockton beach as a possible location for camping. It looks like an interesting spot gull of history and ship wrecks. My friend also has a Jeep but thats not the reason were camping.

My question is this - What’s it like at Stockton Beach?
From my research its a good spot but it can be a little windy at times and i was wondering if the fact you are so exposed ruins the experience in anyway?

Also, we have a couple of females on our party who to be fair to them are not prima donnas but would appreciate a flushing toilet if possible. I know that on the facilities are fairly basic on the beach but is there a pub nearby where the girls could wash in the mornings?

I have read that they have changed the camping ground recently, has this effected the enjoyment of the camp trip?

If any of you guys know of any spots between Sydney and Newcastle please let me know. we are looking for a site without hundreds of people, preferably wash room or toilets, next to a good fishing spot and camp fires are a MUST!!!!

Please help!

Thanks for you time in advance.

Benje
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cram - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 15:26

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 15:26
I have never camped on Stockton Beach but I am fairly certain that you won't find any flushing toilets or washrooms on the beach....
AnswerID: 343229

Reply By: Ozboc - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 15:58

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 15:58
HI Benje - drop me an email directly on Boc1971@hotmail.com - makr it in regards to stockton beach

will send some photos, details and such as i am there ALL the time ---

Boc
AnswerID: 343230

Reply By: brad81 - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 17:50

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 17:50
Three days on Stockton beach hope you really like sand

Went there for two day in august I must of ate half the sand on the beach

Great fun for a day trip

GOOD LUCK

AnswerID: 343237

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 21:06

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 21:06
Noticed there was a bit missing last weekend --- could you please return the sand when possible ;)

Boc
FollowupID: 611106

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 19:44

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 19:44
Benje,
There are absolutely no camping facilities on Stockton Beach.

Everything you need must be brought in and more importantly taken out with you.

The Beach is actually part of the Worimi Conservation Lands and is administered on behalf of the Worimi people by the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS)

You will need a Beach Access Permit, these cost $30 for an annual permit or $10 for a 2 day permit. (I think it's 2 days, it may be 3. I always buy the annual)

I think you'll find now days the NPWS require campers to have their own chemical toilet and to remove the toilet waste from the beach to be disposed of responsibly.

The speed limit on the beach is 40km/hr. A concept very difficult for quite a few people to grasp.

Fishing is generally good, I prefer beach worms as bait. They can be caught at low tide if you know how.

In the 40's and 50's the sand hills were used as a bombing and firing range by the RAAF. Mate of mine tells stories of collecting the unspent cordite out of the sand hills and using it as fireworks.

Things to see,
As stated elsewhere, Tin City is worth a quick look just to say you've been.

The tank traps can be found if the sand hasn't covered them over at the moment. (GPS co-ordinates for them can be found here: Stockton Beach)

My grandfather when he was alive reckoned there was almost a continuous line of the tank traps from Birubi to Stockton!

The wreck of the Sygna is still in the surf line, well actually the stern. The bow may well have been made into the razor blades you used this morning. It went up on the beach in the 70's. I still believe that was the wildest weather I've ever seen in Newcastle!

Enjoy your trip,

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 343263

Reply By: just goin - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:51

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:51
Hey Benji.

Stocko beach is a thrill seekers paradise.(just keep an eye out for motorbike and quad riders). Huge dunes and great fishing. For the ladies you could set up base at birubi beach caravan park about a kay up the road from the beach entrence at the port stevens end.
cheers
AnswerID: 343286

Reply By: 96 GXL 80 series - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 21:15

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 21:15
A bit on the news the other night showing Stockton Beach, drivers being booked (Speeding}/ vehicles checked and they said over 1800 vehicles per day over the Christmas new year period.
AnswerID: 343292

Reply By: Benje - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 09:38

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 09:38
Hey guys. thanks for the replies i really appriciate.

all the best

Ben
AnswerID: 343358

Sponsored Links