which battery charger?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 18:16
ThreadID: 64994 Views:2764 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Have just purchased a 100amp/h deep cell commander battery to run my waeco 35lit fridge probably for 3 weeks of the year when we camp.
Now should i spend money on a "smart" charger or should i use my arlec 18amp battery charger that I dont know how it charges; its a loner from my father and as such is many years old.

Will a "good" charger extend the life of my $260 commander battery?
It seems there is so much to learn about what i thought was a rather simple topic!!
Deano
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark Taylor - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 20:16

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 20:16
Mate, you'll need a "smart" charger for your battery. I have a 100 amp hour REMCO in my camper trailer and leave it permanently connected to a smart charger. As I have an analogue voltmeter (VDO 60mm brass marine type) and it draws around 200 m/amp so the charger is always cycling.

Nether the less, a smart charger will maintain and prolong the life of your battery.. I use a CTEK and it is very good. There are other brands around but the CTEK seems to be the most popular.

If your arlec is not a multi stage charger you will eventually stuff your battery if you leave it hooked up permanently.

Cheers

Mark T
AnswerID: 343615

Follow Up By: 1964Deano - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 22:26

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 22:26
Mark what model Ctek do u have and how much was it?
Deano
FollowupID: 611457

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 21:20

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 21:20
Deano,

Have a Ctek 7 amp charger here, as well as a Ctek 25 amp, and I'd go for the bigger, albeit more expensive one. ($525)

We have a few vehicles here at present that aren't being driven regularly(no staff), and this morning, started charging all the batteries. Using the 25 amp charger, expected the N70Z battery in a 100 series to be fully charged tonight, but its not. Even if I forget it tomorrow, there'll be no damage to the battery.

The 7amp Ctek are a good, lightweight charger but they are soooo slow, that it would cost you a fortune in fuel, to run them off a small generator. However, if you're only using the battery for 3 weeks/year, then the 7 amp one might suffice, and you could leave it charging permanently, when you're not camping.

Regards,
Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 343622

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 00:25

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 00:25
For competitive pricing on Ctek (and other) chargers, check out the offerings from ebay seller " 4wdextreme "

site link

I have no affiliation with this seller, but I have purchased several items (incl. 2x 15A Cteks) from him, and have been 100% satisfied with each transaction..

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343643

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:18

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:18
Hi Deano
Do yourself a favour and just go out and buy the ctek 25000 (25amp) you won't regret it and next time you need a new battery for your fridge get a Century Marine Pro 600 it's what all the tour operaters in Kakadu are using now and getting up to 3 years out of them which is pretty good in our heat.

Rick P
AnswerID: 343858

Sponsored Links