Melb to Coffs via National Parks

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 21:47
ThreadID: 65029 Views:2755 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning a trip from Melbourne to Coffs Harbour at the end of April/start of May. I have 7 days to get to Coffs via the back roads and national parks, 1 day in Coffs then 2 days back to Melbourne via the blacktop.

I am after any recommendations of camping spots/national parks. Not after any hard 4x4ing - easy/medium if anything. The missus wants to go bushwalking and maybe some snorkelling. Plan to camp in the bush and stop at a caravan park once of twice on the way to Coffs. Maybe towing a camper trailer.

Cheers in advance for any tips/info.

Nick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 22:04

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 22:04
Its a damn shame you hav to rush like that,if i were you i'd wait and at least swindle another week or two...

Goodluck

Cheers
AnswerID: 343795

Reply By: Member - Graeme (NSW) - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 17:25

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 17:25
Nick
You are doing yourself and family a big disservice by not spending more time in Coffs as there are two treks I could point you to which are easy 4wd treks.
One is to the Junction which I traditionally go to with my wife every Christmas Day (when I am not away working that is) and the other is to Bangalow Falls. These two treks are just a sample of what there is to offer here.
Each is a nice day trip through some very scenic country and you will see the true beauty of this remarkable part of this area of northern NSW.
Unfortunately at the time you will be up here I will be on my normal work rotation on the dark continent, else I would be only too pleased to show you around my patch of Paradise
Graeme
AnswerID: 343903

Follow Up By: nickb - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 17:36

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 17:36
We spent Christmas with some family there and thats why we want to go back! The itinerary is only a guesstimate as I need to be back at work in Adelaide after our 2 week holiday. The weather was fantastic and I couldn't believe how green it was.

If we plan to spend more time in Coffs, I will get some more info from you.

Cheers
Nick
FollowupID: 611779

Follow Up By: Cruiser .- Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:46

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:46
Graeme,

Can you tell where is Bangalow Falls and the Junction is please.

I just spent 10 days at Coffs and can't seem to find any reference to either of them at all.

Would like to add a few more places to visit for my next visit.

Cheers,

Cruiser
FollowupID: 611925

Follow Up By: Member - Graeme (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 17:07

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 17:07
Cruiser
When I get back home from work (in Africa) next week I will give you some references as they are 4wd tracks. The falls are near Dairyville on the edge of the Dorrigo plateau about 30 km from Coffs and The Junction is on the Nymboida River near the road from Grafton to Armidale and both have NPWS provided facilities. They are only local knowledge places.
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkGetThere.aspx?id=N0055. This is the Nymboida/The Junction campground.
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkHome.aspx?id=N0131 This is the reference for the Bangalore Falls
For any further info do not hesitate to contact me gvsambell@aapt.net.au
Cheers, Graeme
FollowupID: 612010

Follow Up By: Cruiser .- Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 17:37

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 17:37
Graeme,

Thanks for that info. All duely noted for the next visit.

Cheers,

Cruiser
FollowupID: 612018

Follow Up By: Long stroke - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 21:34
Hi there
We live near coffs (just north at woolgoolga) we know the junction and have heard of the falls but havn't been there yet, there are that many other places to explore we havn't had time.
Where more into the remote skinny scratchy tracks for fishing and harder 4wding, but do love the general camping etc.
We can give directions to the junction but dad is usually pretty buisy with work so not real flexable with days to go 4wding.

CHEERS TIM.
FollowupID: 612066

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:20

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:20
Try Mansfield ,camp along the Howqua River -Vict High Country
Then another good spot is Deua National Park-I think it was called Big Hole but memeory gone a little,Bendethera Caves then onto
Abercrombie Caves -south of Bathurst -need 2 nights to explore the caves. Then New England National Park -East of Armidale
Mansfield is the entrance to the High Country and if you have the time you could travel through down the Zika Spur Track into Wanagatta Valley and out throughDargo, Dogs Grave,Omeo over towards Buchan and stop along the Snowy River
Have fun - lots to see on those Back Roads.We love the Area and travel Melbourne to Coffs on lots of diff tracks
AnswerID: 344041

Sponsored Links