Winds on the Nullabour

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 20:23
ThreadID: 65098 Views:2224 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys travelling to Perth in March/ April, from Sydney but concerned about Head winds at this time of year, also our return trip in June. Any thoughts on the best time to make this journey would be appreciated. thank you Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 20:59

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 20:59
I usually get a headwind everytime, no matter what direction I'm heading!!!
Nothing you can do about it, except sit behind a truck.
AnswerID: 344180

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:42

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:42
Phil's right (except for the truck bit!). The strongest headwind we ever had on the Nullabor was when we were travelling east. We stopped very early that day. Next day was calm. Usually heading west there is some headwind. If it is bad, stop and wait rather than use up your fuel.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 612083

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 21:07

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 21:07
picketts

Just about all of our weather in the southern latitudes comes from the Souther Ocean via the Westerlies.

As Phil says, you are going to get a head wind most times. If you look at the local TV News weather chart you will see how our weather moves from west to east.

Have a look at http://www.bom.gov.au/

Cheers
AnswerID: 344184

Reply By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 01:39

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 01:39
Pickets... with all my crossings the MU with its 80l tank would make it from Mundrabilla to Noresoman (E to W) no probs...but I had one instance when I had to use the Jerry in sight of Mundrabilla (W to E).

I believe the winds in Summer are worse W to E so I assume you are dont the best possible.

Still not that bad... its about 700km from Ceduna to Mundrabilla (best fuel stops) and could do it easy.

Dont stress, there are plenty of fuel stops, even if running low on the E - W but its just a diffenrence of cost.

All the best

Matt.
AnswerID: 344224

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 02:34

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 02:34
Hi picketts, if you had the freedom to wait until there was a large high in the bite the Easterlies would then be behind you coming over, going back in June should be OK as most of the weather is coming from the SW/West so you will have a tail wind to go home with. When ever my parents went accross the Nullabor Dad would always watch the weather and use the tail winds.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 344227

Reply By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 07:53

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 07:53
Picketts

Having crossed the Nullarbor around a couple of dozen times, westerly winds of varying strength are the norm, calm days do occasionally happen, and easterly winds are a rarity. Travelling west when doing a full days travel 1200-1500km it is somewhat interesting travelling through 2-3 different weather fronts in one day. March you can still get hot weather where as by April temps are normally fairly mild. Head of the bigh and Cocklebiddy Caves are definietly worth stopping for a look and you buy fuel at Port Augusta, Ceduna Mundrabilla and Norseman if you can't make it to Kalgoorlie, although don't take a gamble as running dry out there could be a costly experience.

Regards

Snowy
AnswerID: 344236

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:22

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:22
Snowy,
Cocklebiddy Caves were closed to public access a few years back because of rock instability at the entrance. As far as i know, that is still the case.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 612183

Follow Up By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:25

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:25
Well that's a dam shame, they are quite spectacular.
FollowupID: 612185

Reply By: furph - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:05

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:05
Google "the winds across australia" which will bring up the site which shows "wind roses" right across and north to south for all months.
I used the information last year, travelled from Winton to Perth then back to northern NSW with only one day of headwind in 3 months. (June-Aug.)
We did stay put on a couple of occassions due to both wind and rain conditions.
We had little time constraint, so waiting a few days was neither here nor there.
furph
AnswerID: 344237

Sponsored Links