lens for digital SLR

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:47
ThreadID: 65136 Views:6382 Replies:20 FollowUps:33
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I am looking at buying my first Digital SLR and already have a Pentax MZ-50 film camera which was barely used before I discovered digital
It has two Sigma lenses - a Mini Zoom Macro 28 - 80mm F3.5-5.6 II Aspherical, and a 100-300 F4.5-6.7DL.
My question is will these fit a Pentax Digital SLR?
Obviously I can save a significant amount of money if they do as I can look at getting a Pentax.
Would appreciate your comments please.
Thanks,
Heather G
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Col G (WA) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:00

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:00
Heather

I dont know the answer to your question but would suggest that a good look at a site called Dpreview.com which could answer your questions. You could also look at the different types of Pentax DSLR's on offer and even compare them to other makes and models. Im a Nikon person myself so can not offer any further advice.

Good luck in your inquiries.

Cheers

Col
AnswerID: 344396

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:04

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:04
Take the lenses with you into the camera shop.

They should certainly be able to help.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344397

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:11

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:11
I was going to buy it online, but I guess I can take into a local camera shop and ask for advice there. Thanks Gone Bush

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612362

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:20

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:20
Hi Heather - Would your conscience let you do that? Service is the main reason why your local shop is more expensive that buying on line. A bit cheeky having it both ways?

Does the on line store have a 'contact us' section? Sometimes they can offer advice, but mostly are just on selling an item in a box.

Motherhen

Who bought her cameras from Hong Kong
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612363

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:35

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:35
You are probably right but i did buy the original camera locally... and paid a couple of hundred dollars more for doing it! We pay considerably more here than the big retail chains can offer them, but next time I am passing a Harvey Norman or similar I might take it in and ask.
I had to return my Olympus digital compact to head office in Sydney for repairs last year so didnt get local service for that.
Bit cheeky buying yours in Hong Kong too Motherhen!!!
Heather G

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612365

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:46

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:46
Yes, my Olympus played up (kept saying 'no batteries'). That one had been purchased from DSE as a pocket cheapy when i was working at a Real Estate office and got sick of the boss pinching my Sony when he misplaced his camera. I posted it back to the DSE store and they sent it on for repair.

I know with the Hong Kong ones, i would just have to assess paying for a repair v buying a new one. None are SLR, so it isn't huge money.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612368

Reply By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:20

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:20
Been there - done that.

Be Careful. The shorter lens may be OK. The longer lens may suffer from chromatic aberation. That's where you get colour fringes on contrasty things around the edges of the picture, worst near the corners.
You'll have to try it and see.
Here's an example.
Image Could Not Be Found
cropped from the corner of a picture from a 300mm nondigital lens on a digital SLR.

From my experience, The longer lenses need to be designed for digital camera use.

Lex
AnswerID: 344402

Follow Up By: Mark Taylor - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:43

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:43
To correct for Chromatic Aberration you need a long lens made with Low Dispersion glass... which usually means you need a high dispersion wallet!! I have a nikon 300mm which produces stunning results because of this.

Seriously though, as a working pro photographer I support our local camera shop industry.... although the cameras are imported (mainly from China and the Philipines theses days) there is a group of people who get their employment from the wholesaling and retailing of these products in Australia.

When you import "Grey Market" direct from Hong Kong you aren't helping the Australian Economy.

It's called "buy your kid a job" when you buy locally.

Cheers

Mark T

FollowupID: 612367

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:30

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:30
Heather,

I killed my old Pentax MZ-50 and had the same lens as you had. I bought a Pentax 100D SLR Digital and have had no issues with either lens. I have only used the larger lens a few times though.

HTH

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344404

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:39

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:39
So the sigma lenses do fit then Kev? My original Pentax is in almost new condition as I bought it a couple of years before digital cameras started to become popular and hardly used it.
Thanks Heather G

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612366

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:18

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:18
They most certainly do,

If I had another camera I'd take a photo of it hahaha

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612371

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:11

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:11
Thanks Sir kev (or maybe Your Highness would be more appropriate???) Much appreciated.
I will investigate further now with the Pentax SLR.
Heather G

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612374

Reply By: chisel - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:36

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:36
If the old camera is full-frame then the lens will have extra zoom on the digital-SLR. So 28-80mm will be longer ... i think 1.5x longer. This will help your telephoto but 28mm probably won't be wide enough (usually digital SLR lenses start at 18mm - equivalent to 27mm)
AnswerID: 344405

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 21:35

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 21:35
nope the crop factor is 2x with pentax so she will be missing any kind of a wide angle on the pluss side the lenses will have plenty of zoom but another negative they are veeeery slow lenses so very high ISO will be needed on the long end say for birds to get high enough shutter speeds which will lead to noise
FollowupID: 612467

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 21:42

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 21:42
uh uh I thought pentax used 4/3 sensors but they dont so they would be around 1.5 crop
FollowupID: 612469

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 17:32

Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 17:32
Yes, the crop factor is 1.5.
FollowupID: 613084

Reply By: Bat30 - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:59

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:59
Cannon has new camera out ,not slr but has rave reveiw,the reveiwer said it would take the place of most lens.
AnswerID: 344411

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:10

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:10
Just ring Pentax and ask them.
AnswerID: 344413

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:33

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:33
I just bought the Canon Powershot SX1 IS , which is an awesome all rounder, you get a 20 x Optical Zoom-Widescren Lens , it also does full 1920 x 1080P HD Video recording. It's not a full on Digital SLR, I wasn't ready for that, this is a nice allrounder. If you want to buy a good digital SLR and don't want to break the bank can't go past the Nikon D90. Unfortunately you will need to invest in a lens to suit , there are some good bundles going.

AnswerID: 344420

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:17

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:17
Yep, Nikon and Canon both make great cameras, however I would like to see my sigma lenses used rather than gather dust in the back of the cupboard. And this will be my entry level SLR so I will probably upgrade in a few years anyway.
I have a small compact Olympus which is great when bushwalking as it slips into a pocket and is lightweight.
Thanks.
Heather G

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612376

Reply By: landed eagle - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:16

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:16
I recently bought a Pentax K200D DSLR with Sigma 18-55mm and 70-300mm+macro lenses.
Purchased from a small operator (local). I paid a bit more for it than online or from H-Norman/JB but being new to digital photography I wanted to be able to pick the guy's brain occasionally when issues arose.
Considering I spent the money in his shop he's always helpful. :)
Cant fault the camera. All its auto settings work great and you can set everything manually if you wish.

Try this website

www.photoforum.com.au

a wealth of info and great pics too.
AnswerID: 344423

Reply By: Mandrake - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:31

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:31
The Lenses will fit the camera as the Pentax mounting system is the same - However film lenses are usually longer inside the camera housing and this can cause serious problems when the mirror swings up out of the way - usually very expensive problems - I don't own a Pentax but Canon has similar problems -- Check Pentax website and it should tell you if those lenses are fully compatible or not ...

Rgds

Steve
AnswerID: 344430

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:18

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:18
Thanks Steve,
have just sent Pentax a question re this and hope they get back to me before too long. Couldnt see any lenses other than Pentax mentioned on their website but maybe I wasnt looking in the right place.
Regards,
heather G

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612381

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 17:34

Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 17:34
How can film lenses be longer ??? Film SLR cameras used the same swing-up mirrors.

You're thinking of rangefinder cameras.
FollowupID: 613085

Follow Up By: Mandrake - Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 19:10

Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 19:10
Mike ,

I am not sure which way round this is but a digital sensor and a film cartridge are different thicknesses so the end of the lens that is inside the camera can be a different depth - It most definitely is for Canon EF-S lenses because Canon state quite clearly NOT to use these lenses in any other of their cameras as the mirror will smash into the lens base ... It may well be different with Pentax as I said I don't have one == But the lenses need to be taken to a shop and popped into a digital body to see if anything goes crash ...

Rgds

Steve
FollowupID: 613103

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 09:30

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 09:30
"Canon state quite clearly NOT to use these lenses in any other of their cameras as the mirror will smash into the lens base "

That's something Pentax owners don't need to worry about.

Every Pentax SLR lens can be used on every Pentax digital SLR. My 50/1.4 I bought in 1971 works beautifully on the K20D I bought in 2008.
FollowupID: 613163

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:28

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:28
Hi Mike - I received the following email yesterday from Pentax advising that this is indeed the case after I contacted them late last week.

'Dear Heather,

Pentax past and present digital SLR cameras will work with your existing Sigma AF lenses. However for optimum image quality it is best to use a digitally designed lens.
Thank you'

It is very handy to know when you are the already owner of an SLR (Pentax) camera.
I received my new K200D yesterday from Stephen in Clare SA and have already taken some experimental pics. Love it!
Regards,
Heather G

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613168

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:46

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:46
Hi Heather
Providing that the lens that you have are the same mounts that is on the camera (By the sound of what you have said, they will be), you will have no problems at all. We have sold lots of the Pentax Digital SLR Cameras at work and people that have old Pentax Lens' use them with no problems at all. The only time one customer had a problem, it was the fact that his old Pentax SLR film camera was not auto focus. The new Digital SLR had to be switched to manual focus when using his old lens and no Problems, still giving the correct exposures etc.

Make some enquiries about the K200 D. Those suppliers that still have stock at the old prices (We do at our store) can sell you a new K200 with a Sigma 18-50 lens for $699 or Pentax K200 with the Pentax 19-55 lens for $749. You will not have any problems like the above post said what happened with the Canon Camera re the problems with the shutter.

The down side is that the K200 is being replaced (It is a 10 mega pixel camera, over 60 weather seals plus lots more) with a new and smaller model. The new models have no weather seals, only come with the Pentax 18-55 lens and will start at $999

Look around for the K200 and you will have yourself a very good cameras. Keep looking and if you can not get one, contact me at work while we still have old stock of the K200

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 344446

Follow Up By: wigger - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 13:30

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 13:30
Stephen,
would you mind clarifying something. You refer above to a Pentax 19-55 lens but when I was looking, the K200D came with a Pentax DA 18-55 lens. Whats the difference. One of the difficulties when getting into SLRs is that a lot of them come with kit lenses which obviously you are going to replace fairly soon if you're serious. The next step up is a single lens at about the $700-800 mark so the jump can be a large one. Are you saying that the Pentax as opposed to the Sigma is a good compromise and if so, is the lens I'm referring to in that category?
FollowupID: 612720

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 14:09

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 14:09
Hi Wigger,
Sorry about that, it is a typo error. It should have read 18-55 Lens.
For only $50 dearer, you got the Pentax lens compared to the 18-50 Sigma lens. This 18-55 lens is a superb lens. The only setback with any brand of camera, is that there will be times when you want that extra distance out of your lens. Having said that, I had a look back from the photos that I took on this years outback trip into the Gibson Desert. Of the 1100 odd photos that I took, there were only about 20 photos that I took using the telephoto zoom lens - with focal length greater than 70mm, so in real terms of photography of my personal usage, the standard small 18-55 lens will be used with excellent results for over 98% of my shots.

The next question that will be asked, what camera and lens do I personally uses???

My first DSLR was a Pentax K100 D Super with Pentax 18-250 Lens, which I still use in conjunction my second DSLR, the Pentax K200 D with Pentax 18-55 Lens.

I hope this is what you wanted to hear.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612725

Follow Up By: wigger - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 15:22

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 15:22
Tks Stephen,
Very good to hear that you're happy with the 18-55 and it's enough of a recommendation to go out and buy. A couple more questions if you don't mind.
This lens is designated DA, why not AF?
Is the battery setup supplied a drawback -AA's as against the lithium ion battery that others come with?
Have you personnally found the lack of liiveview a disadvantage?
Does the company you work for have any other outlets, say Nthn
NSW- Q.land?

FollowupID: 612740

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 17:37

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 17:37
Hi Wigger
For me, the standard 18-55 is a great set up, like I said there are only a few times only that I required the extra focal length. The lens is definitely an auto focus lens, so there is no need to worry.

Batteries??? Well I will probably get shot down by some, but the Pentax Cameras are very good for power consumption, to the fact that I could not believe what I actually got out of the K100 with the Silver Energiser Lithium non rechargable batteries. In the shop where I work, we have seen various people from overseas and interstate that have left their battery charger home for their rechargable batteries to recharge the batteries=flat battery, not being able to take those special holiday shots. At least with the AA batteries, you can get them in any country store. I took over 1800 shots with my K100 D before I replaced the first set of batteries and have taken over 900 shots in the new K200 D with the same set of batteries, so battery life is not a problem. I always have a spare set on new batteries in my bag just in case though. Our camera rep said that they tried out a set of Energiser Lithium batteries in a K100 D to set for themselves how many shot they could expect, and they achieved over 2200 shots. The K200 D is a bigger camera, very similar specs to the old K10, but without the rechargable battery pack.

As for live view, I have never liked looking at the small screen on the back of the cameras and have always preferred to used the viewfinder.

Our store is a Retravision store in Clare SA. As far as I am aware, their are only 3 other Retravision stores in SA that can get the Pentax DSLR cameras. Look around the camera stores where you live if you are after the K200 D with the Pentax 18-55 Lens. We only have 1 left at $749 and a few with the Sigma 18-50 lens at $699. As I have said before, when they are sold out, that is it, which is a real pity, as they are a very under rated camera for their money. One internet report that I read on the K100 D Super before I purchased it when they were selling for $1499 with the 18-250 lens was that if they were $1000 dearer, more people would have purchased them, for the fact only that most people thing that you had to pay good money for a good camera

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612763

Follow Up By: wigger - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 19:01

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 19:01
Thanks Stephen,
I thought would buy from you guys but now you tell me that you're R V, it's not poss because as you say a lot of the stores don't stock DSLR's. Latest local R V catalogue only has compact digitals in it. With your knowledge aren't you a bit wasted not working in a specialist camera store but then again I don't know Clare.
Thanks for your guidance. It's been very helpful. I'll go ahead with the 200D because of yours and Nige's recommendations.
FollowupID: 612781

Reply By: Mandrake - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:51

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:51
This is a link which answers the question but also poses a minor problem for you ...
http://photo.net/equipment/pentax/

All Pentax digital SLR bodies are compatible with older Pentax film lenses (FA, F and A mounts) as well as newer lenses (DA and DA* mounts).

But you may not like this comment --

cheap slow low-quality lenses from Pentax's film years
Pentax FA-J 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 AL, $50, (effective 42-120mm on a full-frame camera), this provides an unusual normal-to-telephoto range.
Pentax FA-J 75-300mm f/4.5-5.8 AL, $125, (effective 112.5-450mm), potentially useful for wildlife photographers on a budget, as long as the wildlife is standing in very bright sunlight.

It might pay you to find a camera / lens setup for around the same price as your Pentax body - I would think the Canon1000D kit would now be at a reasonable price and is an excellent beginners DSLR - I have a 300D , 350D and 400D and an Olympus E-520 with 300mm Lens ( for Birdies !!) ..

1000D Twin Kit - about $900 - Pentax K200 Body around $600 ..

Depends on the budget and financial controller .. LOL

Rgds

Steve
AnswerID: 344448

Reply By: HGMonaro - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:30

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:30
You're lenses will work on a Pentax DSLR (Pentax has the best lens compatibility of any SLR)

However due to the 'crop-factor/multipler effect' the 28-80 will not be a very useful general purpose lens which it was on a film camera. It will look like a 42-120mm which although not useless, is not very useful. Add to that the fact that Sigma consumer lenses are not highly regarded in the 1st place (there are a few exceptions) I suggest you still need to get another lens to suit the camera anyway. Depending on how large you print, and how well you can take a photo in the 1st place (focus & exposure) the 100-300 would be worth hanging on to if you decide on a Pentax. A Pentax K200D is a valid option regardless of existing lenses you might own. Pentax's kit zoom, the 18-55 (Pentax, not the Sigma) gets very good reviews so an option would be to buy a K200D with the DA18-55 and then keep your 100-300 for telephoto use (the macro capabilty of the 28-80 might mean it's worth hanging onto rather than selling for $20 which is what you might get for it). Not sure what your MZ-50 is worth, best to check past eBay sales for a guide.

In summary, I don't think your current lenses should stop you looking at other makes if they take your fancy. If you've haven't used your current setup much, maybe a decent P&S or bridge (SLR like without interchangable lens) might suit you better. probably more questions for you to decide upon than answers.. sorry!

Nige.
AnswerID: 344452

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 19:52

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 19:52
If you buy from an overseas seller be very careful as to warranty conditions.
Most cameras are warranted ONLY in the country of purchase. Some like I think Olympus have worldwide warranties but NIKON and Canon wont want to know you here if you have problems with an Ebay purchase.

Lens however from NIKOn have a worldwide warranty.
I bought my D200 on Ebay from an Australian Nikon dealer and my lens from an American Nikon dealer. Saved lots like that.
Not sure about Pentax but the advice posted seems good.

AnswerID: 344493

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:45

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:45
Was looking at an Australian seller online Graham but after so much good advice it seems I have a bit to think about before I make any decisions. thanks

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612454

Reply By: dizzy - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 01:37

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 01:37
Hi Heather,

I am a Nikon person myself. However saying that, go for the K200 D the B in L has one and a very good camera. He also has a couple of sigma lenses to which he aquired adaptors to suit the new camera. They appear to work quite well. I think the auto focus worked too.
You could look at the Nikon Coolpix, I think that is what they are called. The only problem is that you wont be able to use your old lenses.
Have fun,
Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344541

Reply By: dizzy - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 01:49

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 01:49
Heather,

I forgot. Go to the nikon.com.au web site or any other camera manufacturers site they should give you the details of all their cameras.
The honerable gent by name of Stephen sounds a reasonable gent to deal with even though he is in S.A.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344542

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 09:18

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 09:18
Hi Heather, I have the Pentax K10D & use Pentax 35/70 lens
without problems. I also use a Sigma 100/300 & it works fine.
Both lenses were off my SFXN film SLR. If you use fully auto mode
the amount of info given to your printer is much reduced & lower quality prints can result. Much better to use another mode such
as P while making adjustments to your exposure compensation &
white balance. Sounds complicated but it isnt really. Your camera
will be loaded with features & to use it on "idiot mode" only does
little justice to the cameras technology. The beauty of digital is that your results are instantly available...make another adjustment
& shoot again. For low light shots & the best overall results a
tripod is a good idea. Good luck with it. Any K mount Pentax lens will fit your digital, even those without autofocus.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 344568

Reply By: HGMonaro - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:04

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:04
There's some mis-information in this thread. Being a Pentax DSLR user I'd like to correct some of it.

All Pentax DSLRs have image stabilisation built in to the body. Nikon and Canon have IS lenses. Until recently, that meant buying their 'pro' lenses but both now have consumer kits lens with IS on them. With body based IS, any lens you put on will have IS, even the old manual focus stuff. Generally, both Nikon and Canon cameras will focus quicker than Pentaxes, but Pentax does a 'double check' so will more likely get it accurate. None of them a infaliable.

Pentax cameras have APS-C format sensors, so 1.5x crop factor.

The K200D is not being replaced by the KM (K2000 in some parts of the world). The K200D may be replaced by a "K300D" later/next year. It has the weather seals and sensor from the K10D but includes 'scene' modes which the K10D (or K20D, it's replacement) doesn't have. Note that without a weatherproof DA* lens the camera is not fully weatherproof.

Any lens (Pentax, Sigma, Tokina, Kirron, Tamron, many others) with P/K on the mount will fit a Pentax DSLR (*istD, K100D, K100D Super, K10D, K200D, K20D & KM). Some Ricoh lenses have an extra lug that can lock the lens on the camera, so if you don't know what to look for, don't put a Ricoh lens on a Pentax. With an adaptor you can use M42 screw mount lenses that date back 40 years (Pentax Takumars and many others). Note that any manual focus lens from the past will still be manual focus, they don't start AFing all of a sudden. Depends on the lens features what camera metering method will be available.

Taking pictures on Green Mode, P mode or any other mode results in a picture with the same amount of information as any other mode. How it represents the scene (exposure) you pointed the camera at may be different.

The majority of my pictures are taken on P mode. I use the exposure compensation button when I need to and the hyper-manual wheels (you can change aperture or shutter speed at any time and it changes the other for you to suit). Occasionaly I'll go to another mode. You can see some examples (not dial up friendly... each page is about 1MB) atmy gallery

Cheers, Nige
AnswerID: 344591

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 14:31

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 14:31
Hi Nige
Re the point about the K200 D not being replaced by the K-M
When I spoke to the people in Adelaide this morning, I asked this very question and was told that when their stock on the K200 D and the K20 has been sold, they will not be bringing any further stock into Australia and the new K-M will be their new Digital SLR Camera, even the K20 will not be replaced at this stage.
The new K-M does not have as many features as the K200 D, yet will be a lot dearer because of the Australian Dollar factor.

I am only repeating what I have been told from the Importers.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612557

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 14:39

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 14:39
Stephen,

Ok, that's a local view (which we have to deal with if it's the importer rather than an individual shop) as opposed to a "Pentax" model line-up, which I'm pretty sure will still have the current models until replacements materialise.

Bit of a worry if they run out of K20D's and don't bring in any more... one way to get rid of your user base!

Cheers, Nige
FollowupID: 612563

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 14:53

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 14:53
Hi Nige
I agree 100% in what you say. CR Kennedy are the Australian Importers of the Pentax line up and I said that they must be mad, they could not even understand themselves why Sydney was going that way. There must be logic somewhere being their decision, perhaps to hasten the introduction of their newer 3000 series quicker.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612564

Follow Up By: wigger - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 21:44

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 21:44
Hg Monaro (or anyone else who doesn't mind responding)

I have been looking for a DSLR and a Pentax 200D was on my shortlist but didn't go ahead becaus it doesn't have liveview. I realize that bright sunlight can affect the image but I suspected that a viewfinder wouldn't have sufficient diatropic adjustment because my right eye is bad following a retinal occllusion. What is the experience of bods who have LV. Do you regard it as being like buying a Hilux with no turbocharger?
Is the Pentax 19-55 lens you talk about still a kit lens as oposed to the Sigma?
I've done a lot of homework looking at sites such as DPreview etc
but the mass of technical detail leaves you feeling a bit overawed.
(Eos 1000D, E 520, Nikon D60VR.............
I am principally interested in photgraphing buildings.

Any thoughts
FollowupID: 612650

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 23:37

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 23:37
Hi wigger,

I don't know what the K200D has for diopter adjustment, my K10D has some built in but I don't know the specs. Just checked the book and it says -2.5 to +1.5 (it uses some weird measurement m to the power -1, whatever that means!). It goes on to say there's an Diopter adaptor that has -5 to +3 available. No idea if the K200D is the same or if that adaptor fits (most likely does). I imagine most camera systems would have similar accessories, I remember my 35mm Nikon did. It's something you really need to have a look through to see if it's ok or not as you might find you can't see the edges of the viewfinder if the adaptor makes your eye further away from the viewfinder..

If you were to use live view for all your compositioning, I think you can get LCD protectors that have shades built in to block the sunlight. My sister has a E-520 but I've never used liveview with it, didn't know it did that! If you put your camera on a tripod (buildings don't run away on you!) then using live view would be feasable, you only have to see the image good enough to compose and focus. Use the histogram to confirm exposure and don't fuss too much what the colours look like on the LCD (which you need to train yourself to do anyway). I use a 4x5" View camera and it's focusing screen is sorta like live view... just need to put 'ya head under a darkcloth to see anything!!!

Pentax cameras are regularly sold as "kits" with Sigma lenses or Pentax lenses. Just need to make sure you're getting what you want when buying. As I said above, the Pentax DA18-55 gets very good reviews. I've got a 16-45mm so can't give 1st hand experience. If you had a look at my link about, all pics where either taken on the 16-45 or a Pentax DA50-200mm (which is the one that's usually in the kits).

Cheers, Nige

P.S. Stephen, may they know more than they are letting on! hope so!!!
FollowupID: 612673

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:06

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:06
Nige,
I just had a look at your gallery and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - I will be more than happy if I can produce similar shots with the SLR.
It has been probably close to 10 years since I used my SLR and I look forward to learning all about the digital one.
Thanks so much for your input.
Heather G

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612711

Follow Up By: wigger - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 15:39

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 15:39
Tks Nige,
Good info. As I said to Stephen (above) it's a good recommendation when you guys say that the DA(why not AF designation?) 18-55 lens is a good one and sounds like you could live with it rather than having to go out and replace the usual kit lens with something better.
I think that I can manage without liveviewand this will be the tradeoff for doing better lenswise. The in body stabilistion has been criticised as being less effective than the lens stab. that
Canon etc use. Is this Valid?
Does the 10D have the same battery setup i.e.AA's that you would probably need to replace with lithium ion.
FollowupID: 612743

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 17:11

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 17:11
the DA is the Pentax line of lenses that are only suitable for APS-C sensors (I think there are a few exceptions but generally true). Only a worry if you think you'll buy Pentax's "full frame" digital if they ever release one (the DA lense may not cover the sensor without vignetting) DA* are Pentax's "pro" lenses, which happen to be weatherproof. I think for the Pro Nikon and Canon lenses it's generally accepted that in lens stabiliation is better than in body, no idea about the new consumer ones. Most reports give Pentax a 2 - 3 stops (shutter speeds or aperture changes) for their IS. I uploaded an example of what can be achieved. Not sure this is due to the skill of the operator (that's me... lol!) or the camera :) see example (a handheld shot @ 1/3sec)

The K10D uses a special battery (lithium ion) and can't use AA's like the K200D. I have a spare (eBayed from Hong Kong for about $15 inc postage) and the 2 combined I can take a lot of pics. Not sure how many, but probably over 1000.

Cheers, Nige
FollowupID: 612756

Follow Up By: wigger - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 19:05

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 19:05
Thanks Stephen,
I thought would buy from you guys but now you tell me that you're R V, it's not poss because as you say a lot of the stores don't stock DSLR's. Latest local R V catalogue only has compact digitals in it. With your knowledge aren't you a bit wasted not working in a specialist camera store but then again I don't know Clare.
Thanks for your guidance. It's been very helpful. I'll go ahead with the 200D because of yours and Nige's recommendations.
FollowupID: 612782

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 19:35

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 19:35
Wigger
You will be more than very impressed with the K200 D You may have problems tracking them down, and the usual selling price is $749, even though their selling price should be a lot dearer. We still have one left in stock with the Pentax 18-55 lens. If you are still having problems tracking one down, get in contact with me. I have sold one to Heather, and she should be receiving it in the next couple of days by post from Clare in SA to NSW
I am a jack of all trades in the shop that I work. Clare is a small country town in the Mid North of South Australia.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612788

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 16:57

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 16:57
Thanks to you all for your suggestions and information. I have decided to buy the Pentax with a pentax lens (19 -55) and dont think I will be disappointed with the choice. And I have dealt with an EO member to do so - thanks to Stephen L who answered questions about battery choices and memory cards as well as answering the question I originally posted. No worries about the warranty as it is purchased in Australia either.
Hopefully you will see some high quality photos in my profile in the future, from our next big trip to SA and WA later this year.
Regards,
Heather G

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344655

Reply By: Rolly - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:50

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:50
Can I just add to this well covered topic by recommending a web site:
http://pentaxforums.com/
It is an enthusiast forum and is chokkers with good gen. It is *not* an official pentax site so often has info relating to the bad and the ugly as well as the (very) good.
AnswerID: 344935

Sponsored Links