New Garmin Maps and Software - TOPO Australia & BaseCamp

Submitted: Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:01
ThreadID: 65167 Views:11098 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Product Announcement

TOPO Australia
Topographical mapping for all of Australia

Garmin Australasia is pleased to announce topographical coverage for all of Australia, now available on preprogrammed microSD™/SD™card and DVD.

TOPO Australia provides the best scale multipurpose recreational coverage for Australia. The DVD and preprogrammed card include up-to-date 100K coverage, with coast to coast 3-D DEM (digital elevation model) shading accompanied by 20 metre contour coverage and route elevation profiles in compatible units. With routable roads, getting to your destination is made simple with turn-by-turn directions on compatible units. Plus, you can search for points of interest by name or proximity to your location. Whether you are navigating in town or cross-country, TOPO Australia will ensure you’re ready for your next bushwalking, camping or 4WD adventure
The TOPO Australia DVD features Garmin’s new computer application known as BaseCamp™. This new software allows you to view and manage waypoints, routes and tracks on your computer and GPS, as well as organise trip data into folders. This application also includes geotagging of photos, enhanced printing with full page and higher resolution images and more.
Special features include:

Coverage for all of Australia

Terrain contours at 20 metres approximating 1:100K maps

Routable road content provided by NAVTEQ and HEMA; includes everything from urban streets to national highways including famous outback routes such as Birdsville, Strezelecki, Oodnadatta, Canning Stock and more

Railways, tracks, paths and trails; includes 4WD destinations

Water coverage of perennial and seasonal lakes, rivers and streams

Searchable points of interest in urban and outback areas including lodging, entertainment, food, airports, parks, campsites, caravan parks and more, provided by NAVTEQ and HEMA

Searchable landmarks, place names and cities such as mountains, water bodies, regions and more

National, regional and local park coverage

Elevation profiling and 3-D view, DEM shading on compatible units allows you to estimate terrain difficulty

BaseCamp software, included on the DVD

The TOPO Australia DVD allows the user to install the product in full to their computer from a single disk. The preprogrammed microSD™/SD™ card allows the user to access the data by inserting the card in the unit. Both contain the same topographic features.

Use with Garmin’s Colorado™ or Oregon™ series navigators to unleash the full feature set of TOPO Australia, including full 3-D view and terrain shading. Also compatible with the following units: eTrex Legend® Cx and HCx series, eTrex Vista® Cx and HCx series, GPSMAP® 60Cx series, GPSMAP 76Cx series, Edge® 705, nüvi® 500 series and zumo®.

BaseCamp software, on the DVD, includes 2-D and 3-D map views, rotated map orientation, elevation profiles and animated playback of routes and tracks. The software also allows the user to transfer trip data and photos to and from compatible devices.

-----------------------------------------

Some screen shots in this thread

Looks the goods - same price as OzTopoV2 but better overall product by sounds of things.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:59

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:59
I see you state the 500 seris but what about the the Nuvi 760?

cheers

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 344589

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:06

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:06
Hello - sorry wouldnt have a clue - I just cut and paste. I am also not sure if, in the section where they quote model numbers, they are talking just about the 3D compatability or the maps as a whole?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612534

Reply By: Chris & Sue - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 15:19

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 15:19
If I order it from Garmin, will it turn up any faster than the City Navigator CD that I ordered from them 6 months ago? It still hasn't arrived.

They also seem to have lost both the e-mails I sent to their tech support address asking about the delay.

I rang and got a totally wrong answer from their support line(as confirmed by Mr Appleseed in Brisbane).

Nice product; pity about the support.

Chris (AKA Grumpy Old Phart)
AnswerID: 344636

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 15:36

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 15:36
Hi - thats no good. Certainly indicates you are better off ordering from a dealer and not direct as you are more likely to get better support. JA and GPSOZ have very good support for products they sell. I don’t think eXploroz sells the range of Garmin map products for some reason, but would also recommend them if they did. OctaPC in Perth is also on to it.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612575

Reply By: Chris & Sue - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 16:00

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 16:00
G'day Greg,

I'd certainly buy it from JA here in Brisbane if I could get it. They've advised me that all they can sell me is a complete new copy of City Navigator (not the cheaper upgrade that's only available from Garmin). My 276C needs the CD, not the 'NT' card that the Garmin Support person told me to get.

I've had nothing but good advice and service from JA.

Cheers,
Chris
AnswerID: 344644

Follow Up By: Chris & Sue - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 16:01

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 16:01
Sorry, Greg.

That was supposed to be a follow-up to your answer.

Cheers,
Chris
FollowupID: 612581

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 16:15

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 16:15
No worries - I dont fully understand your issue (except the card one as I am familiar with 276 cards)..maybe GPSOZ can help - they appear to be able to upgrade maps for you if you send them your data card ..and some money.

/garmin_mapping_cnv2009.htmGPSOZ garmin Update Info

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612586

Follow Up By: Chris & Sue - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 16:44

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 16:44
Greg,

Thanks for that. I'll give them a try if Garmin don't get back to me within a few days. While my update isn't needed for trips in Qld, we're off to Canberra via Sydney in March and my current maps don't have the newer freeways, etc around the Big Smoke.

While I could happily avoid Sydney, SWMBO's brother lives there so it's an essential stop if we're ever within 200kms of the place.

Hope WA's not too hot today. The thermometer outside has just hit 37 here in Brisbane. :-(

Cheers,
Chris

FollowupID: 612591

Sponsored Links