DiscoverAus to Hemanavigator

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 18:33
ThreadID: 65289 Views:1777 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Has anyone loaded DiscoverAus onto a Hemanavigator?
Jon W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 18:44

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 18:44
Do a search for "Hema" and u will get heaps of threads.

also ask the question on GPS australia forum as they have experts on the subject
AnswerID: 345244

Reply By: Isuzumu - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 18:48

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 18:48
Hi Jon, how are you? I would not think you could put DiscAus onto the Hema GPS as most of these have there own programming for there mapping. The only one that you can put other maps, I believe, on is Garmin, like Shonky which is made for their program. Have you got a Magellan GPS and DiscoverAus CD? I am now trying to put DiscAus on to an external H/D so I can use it on my EeePC 901, having a lot of problems trying that to.

Cheers Bruce.
AnswerID: 345245

Follow Up By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 19:14

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 19:14
Hi Bruce,
Thursday is looming!!!! No doubt Anne is as excited as us.
My reason for asking is that I thought DAus may be able to be converted to the Oziexplorer format for loading onto the card. Because it has town streets it will negate the necessity to change from 4WD Navigation mode to Street mode.
Regards,
Jon W
FollowupID: 613234

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 19:11

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 19:11
Jon, in short, NO. HEMA navigator will take some navigational software like Tom Tom, NavnGO iGO which is excellent and Route 66, which I think it is supplied with.

Being basically as WinCE system, it will also have a capability to run OziExplorer or the lightest of light mapping programs Memory Map. I think it comes with these. Running Oziexplorer means you can convert lots of maps including paper maps to Ozi. If you use Memory Map, you will buy everything to suit it's proprietary map extension maps.

You may think I don't like Memory Map. It is so simple you will soon look for more.
AnswerID: 345253

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:19

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:19
Jon,

DiscoverOz is proprietary software only suitable for the Magellan GPS.

Earlier versions had a PC loadable capability to assist in planning, etc.
The later version has no PC capability at all and I don't use it any more.

As the Hema Navigator uses OziExplorer for moving map navigation Australia wide, it is a much more practical product than DiscoverOz. I cannot comment on the quality of maps Hema supply but would assume them to be as good as anything else.

I use OziExplorer on both a laptop and a PDA (hardly use the laptop in the car now) and NATMAP Premium 2008 for the background maps and find it's all I need.

Bill
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 345343

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 17:21

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 17:21
"The later version has no PC capability at all and I don't use it any more."

Hello - you can use Mapsendlite V2 and the newer VantagePoint to view Magellan format maps supplied on sd card. Mapsend Lite has been out for years and can be used with Meridians and eXplorists. VantagePoint can be used with eXplorists and Tritons (and maybe some of their street nav units ..not sure).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 613359

Sponsored Links