Air compressor

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 22:14
ThreadID: 65297 Views:2960 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, This question has probaly been asked before. As you know I have a Hi Lux and at the moment I have a $80-00 air compressor. I have been told that this is not good enough for a 4by. Which air compressor do you all recomend?
With most things I buy for the truck I like to the best or nearly the best.
Thanks in advance
Love the bush

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 22:42

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 22:42
Hi Damien,
Does it work?

Wouldn't have been the local 4wd store that told you that would it?

Mate, maybe the $80.00 jobby isn't as long lasting as the $300.00 puffer, but hey, are you enjoying your outings?

Anything man made regardless of the price will eventually break.

We just expect the higher purchase price to guarantee we have to wait longer for it to break.

I guess I'm just trying to say, how often do you use it and how far from civilisation are you when you do use it?

If you are 2k's from the servo on the local beach when the $80.00 compressor dies, who cares?

If you are 2,000k's from a backup compessor it might be a problem!

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 345305

Follow Up By: Member - Damien L (Cairns) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 23:05

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 23:05
Geoff mate, I was told the cheap one will not pump up all 4 tyres if I have to lower the pressure if going through sand etc. They said it would get too hot. I have used it to pump up one tyre and worked OK, BUT???
Love the bush

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613271

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 23:22

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 23:22
"I was told the cheap one will not pump up all 4 tyres "
Some cheap ones are better than others but in general they all struggle to pump multiple tyres up (particually the larger oversized ones) as they have a very poor duty cycle. As Geoff is alluding to there is no point buying a super compressor if you don't need it. On the other hand it could be seen as pointless carrying a compressor that has a high chance of failing when you need it most ;-)
Cheers Craig.........
FollowupID: 613272

Follow Up By: Boobook2 - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:28

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:28
How often will you use it, how much time will you have to take it easy when inflating, and will you have to pump up your mate's tyres?

I took a tiny $30 Supercheap one away to the GRR where I hired a vehicle ( I had to put it in the plane luggage). Not the fastest compressor in town but it did the trick.

If you aren't too far from a servo, why not let the tyres down then see how long it takes to get em back to normal.
FollowupID: 613292

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 23:14

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 23:14
Damien I recommend the Bushranger Maxair as a good value portable, medium capacity compressor which has excellent warrenty & a resonable duty cycle.
I like the new ARB compressor for mounting in a vehicle with slightly better capacity, compact size for fitting in a tight space & a quality unit that should last.
The best one if size is not a factor is the 'Boss' unit off ebay. It by far has the highest capacity of any of the electric stand alone compressors & Hobzee sells tham with cut out switchs, alloy tanks, braided lines etc for under $500. These will reseat the bead on a tubeless tyre & have a fan for continuous running. Mine is one of the original one's & has been going hard for 7 years. Only problem is they are large & require a fair bit of space to fit. To do better you'd need to look at the Warn winch/compressor all in one unit or a belt driven endless air type system.
Cheers Craig.......
AnswerID: 345309

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:13

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:13
Damien,

A good quality Air Compressor comes into its own when you really need it and you are in a remote area.

If you need it for more than adding a few psi, to your tyres or pumping up the kids footy or basketball, you need a real air compressor and these come at a price.

A compressor needs to do more than put a bit of air in your tyres.
It must be capable of reseating the tyre bead when inflating a tyre from flat.
It must be capable of operating consistently, with a reasonable air volume and not overheat. If you need to "air up" after driving with reduced pressures in sand or dirt based surfaces, you will appreciate the higher volume.

There are several good air compressors on the market, but if I was looking for another one today, the ARB portable compressor is a very good choice for quality, practicality and price.
I own a "Big Red" compressor that is contained in a "toolbox" so it is both portable and protected. It includes an on/off switch on the box. The ARB compressor is also available in this form and provides the best flexibility for most uses, unless you need an "on board" compressor for air lockers, etc.

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 345326

Reply By: ingo57 - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:42

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:42
G'day Damien

I have just bought an ARB in car compressor, these are supposed to be excellent from the research that I have done, but time will tell.

However for the past 5 years I have used bushranger power air $99.00 job, this has performed faultlessly and still is going strong.
They carry a 5 year replacement warranty and will pump up 4 tyres no problems at all....Great value for money.

Cheers
AnswerID: 345329

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 13:40

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 13:40
I have given mine a fair go over the last 6 months,no probs at all,gets a bit hot but thats normal...

Used it yesterday to reinflate 8 tyres one after the other on a 40 degree day...

Its better to buy a high flow one for beds,mattresses etc etc

Cheers
FollowupID: 613317

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:48

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:48
You might be interested in this Pump Overlander 4wd did a comparison on pumps

Go right down to the bottom and you will see a compressor comparison chart that rated all the top pumps. The sidewinder looks pretty good for the price and I might buy one for my next pump or as a spare for a big trip.

I currently run the older style ARB pump and find that it's doing a great job for the lockers and to air up again!
AnswerID: 345337

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 14:18

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 14:18
If you keep a cheap comoressor, its worthwhile buying a second one. It means that you can then pump twice as quick and also means you have a backup should one fail.

I managed with two Kmart compressors for about 10 years until buying a Blue Tongue III in 2000.
AnswerID: 345353

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 14:25

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 14:25
G,/day Damien,I have a Sidewinder from ABR,it does the job for me,I spend 3 months of the year beach fishing, so it gets a fair bit of use.
AnswerID: 345356

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 16:18

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 16:18
Damien, have you thought about installing an ex-aircon compressor, may require a bit of tinkering. You should be able to pick one up from any auto aircon repairers for next to nothing.
AnswerID: 345378

Reply By: Member - Damien L (Cairns) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 20:22

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 20:22
Thanks for your replies fellas, This will give me a bit of homework to do now. I will let you know what I get.
Love the bush

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 345412

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 17:15

Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 17:15
Damien. Autobarn Cairns sells the Kingcomde version. Good Quality, Good Price. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 613500

Sponsored Links