Booking ahead ??

Submitted: Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 13:06
ThreadID: 65358 Views:2376 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are going to St George in Sept via Mungo , Alice Springs , Uluru , Tennant Creek , Mt Isa , Winton , etc ..

Going to do a few bush camps along the way but mainly Caravan Parks as we are on our own ( at the moment -- will be seeking company later on if anyone's travelling that way ) --

Just wondering if it is necessary to book sites ahead or would a phone call the day before be sufficient at that time of the year ?
( assuming the phone is in range !! )

Jeep does about 450 Kms to the tankful when towing and about 550 on its own .. Will 2 Jerrycans 20Lt be enough - I don't wander too far off the tar but there are some big open spaces on that road !! It looks like there's fuel every 300 kms or so - does that sound reasonable ?

Any advice is better than none ..

Cheers

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DesF - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 14:27

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 14:27
Hi, Yes that sounds about right for the fuel, but as we always go up that way in August / Sept, we find that you have to book ahead at most of the caravanparks. some times if you get in before lunch you may be OK, but usually they are booked up.
have a great trip , Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 345648

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 14:30

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 14:30
The gathering in St George is in the 2nd week of the Queensland school holidays so it may pay to book site in advance for at least the Queensland leg of the trip.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 345649

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 16:09

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 16:09
Steve, not sure which way you will be going to get to Mungo, but there is no fuel at Pooncarie the last time I heard.
The store there has closed.
So you will need fuel to go from Balranald or Mildura to Mungo and then to Wentworth or Menindee.

There should be plenty of room at the campground at Mungo at that time, and it is about 13 Kms from the campground to the Walls of China.
There is also a 65km optional drive around the Mungo National Park.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 345658

Follow Up By: Mandrake - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 16:18

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 16:18
Thanks Dave - last time I went up the Arumpo Road - got rained in a 2 man hiking tent - BIG STORM !! and missed going to Kinchega ... Grrrr -
Hopefully it won't rain again and I'll get to Kinchega Lakes ....
I have 2 photos hanging at Mungo lodge ( I think ) unless they sold them ...

Cheers

Steve
FollowupID: 613624

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 16:54

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 16:54
Steve, hope you have better weather along the Arumpo road this time.

Not sure if you have been along the road to Pooncarie via Garnpung.
It's quite a lot different to the Top Hut Rd. Brings you out right in Pooncarie.

Another good way to get to Kinchega is along the west side of the Darling. Cross the bridge at Pooncarie, then up to Tandou.

Nice photos on your website too.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 345664

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 18:09

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 18:09
Might be tempted to book for powered sites.

Mt Isa was booked out for a few days in advance last August, but that was local workers, might be different story now with the mines winding back.

We travel with our own 12v power and ask for a tent / unpowered site and most c/parks can usually 'squeeze us in down the back' when we turn up with out any prior notice.
AnswerID: 345672

Sponsored Links