storage systems/builtin draws for Nissan

Submitted: Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 13:56
ThreadID: 65360 Views:3252 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G;day .. I read in an archived thread about someone building storage systems for the back of 4bys ... suggesting they could do it alot cheaper than the commercial folk ... any advice on the best people for this in wa would be appreciated... Black Widow have been mentioned ... any opinions?? cheers... sassy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 14:32

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 14:32
I believe you are looking for Jim at Best Off Road.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 345650

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 14:44

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 14:44
Sassy

There are plenty of commercial outlets for a variety of storage systems and a variety of prices. It depends on what you want and what your needs are.

I prefer to do as much as possible myself. I am no carpenter but have built a multitude of storage systems in the back of my 4x4's over the years using MDF Board, steel angle brackets and steel hinges.

If you have power tools and some knowledge of how to cut to size and how to work out the dimensions you need, it is a breeze. I have spent about $100 initially on bits for my storage system and have rebuilt the same about 5 times thereafter with little extra cost. The additional rebuilds is just me experimenting to find the right outcome for travelling.

Cheers

AnswerID: 345651

Reply By:- Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 17:09

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 17:09
I agree, build your own, much more satisfying and you get what you want and need.

I have the carpentary skills of a blind blue heeler and I built mine which needed to house a boat motor, fridge and storage draw for recovery gear and a day travel kit for food, plates, billy, etc.

It is made from ply, carpeted and has hettich runners for the fridge and motor slides.

The same item commercially made would have cost between $2-3 thousand; I spent less than $700 and that includes the mistakes along the way. I know I could build it for a lot less now knowing what I know and allowing for a couple of design changes.

Have a crack yourself, plenty of advice and ideas on this forum and others; thats where I got all my info from.

AnswerID: 345666

Reply By: pepper2 - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 17:44

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 17:44
Were do you purchase those flash T bar shiny catches that the professionals used to finish off home made drawers,not the cheaper patio bolts.
AnswerID: 345669

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 06:10

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 06:10
UES or Concept Latch in Melbourne will be able to help you.

Jim.

FollowupID: 613686

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 22:26

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 22:26
After looking at most of the commercial Drawer Systems available, I chose the Black Widow System.

IMO they are simply the best.
One of the main features of the Black Widow system is that they are upgradable if you change cars. You simply purchase the "wings" to suit the new vehicle so they are a lifetime investment.

They don't rattle, operate easily, are very practical but tough and above all, they look good. You can order through any of the distributors and they can install the system for you if you wish.
No additional mounting points were required to install.
Another option is the built-in fridge slide, which I like because when the fridge is not installed, you have a completely flat surface.

Well worth consideration.

WA Distributors

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 345688

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 23:45

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 23:45
Hi Lindl,
As mentioned, Jim at Best off Road would be a place to start. Black Widow are also very good (read expensive) and the system you choose will be decided on, IMHO, the amount of use it will get and your budget.
Basic carpentry skills are an advantage if you have the time, as Willem does, Black Widow system if you have the money.
I have neither and my wife picked up a drawer system of e-bay for much less than the materials would cost, not taking into account the weeks it would've taken me to build them LOL. It was fitted into the vehicle a week and a half before our road trip last September and served us well while we were away.
You too could be fortunate and I hope this helps a little.

Cheers,
Wayne.
AnswerID: 345699

Follow Up By: Member - lyndl b (WA) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 14:06

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 14:06
Thanx all ... I have a friend who is a cabinet maker he should be able to give me a hand ... if now I;ll check out Black Widow
FollowupID: 613736

Reply By: Pezza (Bris) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 15:02

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 15:02
Hi lyndl,

Have a look at my blog, if you are interested in building something like that yourself let me know and I will add more info in a couple of days, also quite happy to ring you and explain on phone if necessary.
I can't remember the total cost, I think it was somewhere round $350 without the food grade stainlees tank.

Cheers
Pezza
AnswerID: 345735

Follow Up By: Member - lyndl b (WA) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:39

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:39
Hey Pezza ... thanx man... cool ... that will be really helpful... will be in touch further for advice if necessary... cheers again!
FollowupID: 613786

Follow Up By: Member - lyndl b (WA) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 18:20

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 18:20
Hey Pezza... would love a bit more info please man... since discussing it with my partner... did you cut the aluminium yourself / are the joiners readily available / did you make the draws yourself / are fridge slides & the locks you used readily avail / stainless steel tank???? Cheers .. look forward to hearing from you... ciao for now... aka Sassy
FollowupID: 613890

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 14:55

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 14:55
Lyndl,
yes I cut the alloy sheets myself, if only making the one then you might be better marking them out and taking them to your local sheet metal shop.
The drawers are made the same way the frame is made, will stick another couple of pics in blog.
Check out this post for your other questions.

Cheers
Pezza
FollowupID: 614141

Follow Up By: Member - lyndl b (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:48

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:48
Hey Pezza... thanx so much darl... great info & a good look... very professional.. though I couldn't spot where you have the stainless steel water tank...(is it at the back of unit) how is it attached to the floor of your vehicle (I read that they are attached via existing tie down points but can't visualise it ... will have a squiz at Melissa's thread also ... just did but it is archived & she is a lapsed member so I couldn't view her photos.. is there some way I can... thanx again darl.. will be in touch if problems arise... oh .. do you have measurements or basic drawings .. we have a GU Patrol.. ciao for now.. Lyndl aka Sassygypsy
FollowupID: 614334

Reply By: Member - Vic S (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:55

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:55
Hello
we have just finished a fit out to my sons Rodeo ute with two drawers a fridge slide two jerry cans and holders foe the gas bottle and fridge battery. All 19mm form ply covered in marine carpet and aluminium corners all up just under $500
Vic
AnswerID: 345848

Sponsored Links