Tyre life

Submitted: Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 23:42
ThreadID: 65368 Views:3043 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
The following is an extract from the B F Goodrich web site and seems to give a bit better life expectancy than a lot of seemingly unqualified opinions around the traps.

It is impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone . However, the older a tire the greater the chance that it will need to be replaced due to the service-related evolution or other conditions found upon inspection or detected during use. While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit. For tires that were on an original equipment vehicle (i.e., acquired by the consumer on a new vehicle), follow the vehicle manufacturer's tire replacement recommendations, when specified (but not to exceed 10 years).
The date when a tire was manufactured is located on the sidewall of each tire. Consumers should locate the Department of Transportation or DOT code on the tire which begins with DOT and ends with the week and year of manufacture. For example, a DOT code ending with "2204" indicates a tire made in the 22nd week (May) of 2004.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 08:06

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 08:06
Thanks for that,, interesting..Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 345704

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Respectfully- Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 08:22

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 08:22
10 years? I have a few in the shed that old. What happens to them if used? Do they dis-integrate?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 345705

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 09:03

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 09:03
The BFG's become Coopers then Bonz ;)

See ya on Monday.........................Not hahaha

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 613696

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:11

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:11
I guess they just become slowly harder Bonz.

My set of BFG AT which came new with the Patrol 7 years ago have always been kept as a reference
set and used a little every 3 months or so.
They are clearly harder now and I notice that they are just now starting to chip and as Kev said they are now like my Coopers were almost from new.

They seem to have kept very well, with about 70% tread still left , but I guess I'd better start using them up else I still have them at 10 years of age.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 614089

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 08:52

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 08:52
Interesting info. I have several 20 year old Dunlop Road Grippers
on splits with about 30% tread. They were original equipment on Hilux back then. I use them over summer on the hilux when set up for firefighting. They have seen some extreme conditions
including red hot embers, over the years without incident & I cant
see any reason not to continue to use them. I suspect they are that hard nothing can hurt them. They show minimal visible damage & are stored in the shed without any particular exta care
during the off season. I wont be using them for any outback
sorties...:))).........oldbaz.
AnswerID: 345711

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 09:24

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 09:24
I suspect that some of the current recommendations from tyre manufacturers is to do with covering their as**. in case of being sued.

I have also seen something about legislation in the UK and proposed in the USA about tyres not being able to be sold if over six years old.

AnswerID: 345717

Reply By: Member - Garth J (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:40

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:40
I guess also it is about the tyre aging and not being able to work to it's design characteristics.

Basically the rubber starting to perish and crack from UV exposure.
Hence less flexibillity before failure.

A sticky type tyre gets hard and is not as grippy as it once was..

Everything thing gets old and wrinkly and can't perform to design!!!

Garth
AnswerID: 345718

Follow Up By: Splits - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 11:29

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 11:29
Garth

There was a big story about this on Sydney TV last year. I think from memory it developed from tyres disintergrating on a used late model ute that someone had bought.

Industry experts were showing old tyres that were cracking after becoming hard with age. They said six years was about the limit. Some dealers were found to have new tyres older than that in stock.

I have noticed a set of 694 Bridgestones, one of a couple of sets I have for my car, are now developing tiny cracks evenly right around at the bottom of the tread blocks. They have very little life left in them and will be replaced in a few months. The worrying part about it is they were made in the 17th week of 2005 which makes them well under six years old.

It is not uncommon to see tyres disintergrate on long fast trips in hot weather while carrying heavy loads. It is usually put down to punctures, slow loss of air or whatever but I doubt if any are ever tested thoroughly to confirm it. Age could easily be a major, yet little understood, contributing factor.

Brian
FollowupID: 613717

Follow Up By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 22:05

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 22:05
Yeah. I've got one of those old wrinkly things that just won't perform any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 613916

Reply By: Cruiser 2091 - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:55

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:55
Hi Longtooth.
I'm very glad you posted that info.

I have read before that the American Tyre Manufacturers Association recomends that tyres be replaced after 5 years but should certainly not be used after 7 years.

I believe that rubber compounds may have changed over recent times and as such I consider your info may be more up to date.

The American Tyre Manufacturers recommendations also apply to all brands of tyres in which case some brands may be worse than others.

It should also be remembered that the likelyhood of failure is not always evident from the outside.

I certainly would not use tyres that are over 10 years old at freeway speeds or in isolated areas where failure could prove disasterous. In fact under those conditions the 7 year limit would be safer.

Regards to all
AnswerID: 345721

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 15:32

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 15:32

This was a brand new tyre. Been on the rear with wheel cover for 15 years. I suppose this is why they say 10.

About 2k plus a new tyre from memory.
AnswerID: 345736

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 15:33

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 15:33
Forgot to add the tyre did only a few thousand km's in the city.
FollowupID: 613746

Follow Up By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 17:55

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 17:55
G ,day Brew,Geez bad luck,a picture says a thousand words. I think there might be insurance issues also with out of date tyres,
FollowupID: 613769

Follow Up By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 17:56

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 17:56
G ,day Brew,Geez bad luck,a picture says a thousand words. I think there might be insurance issues also with out of date tyres in serious prangs.
FollowupID: 613770

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 18:02

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 18:02
Gday Keith, this was 2005, and i was lucky that my insurance picked up the tab.
I posted this as a warning to the people who say " my tyres are so old and still going" Hardly worth the risk, life is too valuable. Luckily i was only doing 70k's and not 110 overtaking a truck.
FollowupID: 613772

Sponsored Links