Temperature Gauge/ Tamworth Trip

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 18:55
ThreadID: 65379 Views:3393 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Returned early from Tamworth as bit off colour as is the temperature gauge in the Bravo.

Looking for suggestions before I take the truck somewhere as not sure whether to take to the dealer or an auto electrician.

Towed a 16ft van - not too packed so weight OK.
The temperature gauge rose quite suddenly and would just as quickly drop back to just below half. We pulled over a few times - Radiator not hot and plenty of water. Seemed to rise more on hills. On the way home we noticed that the air con & fan made it rise and fall. Would rise with both on the fall rapidly when we switched it off. Has anyone experienced similar problems.

Secondly sorry we didn't catch up Peter & Mary but we left rather suddenly.

Thirdly thanks all for your suggestions for a swimming spot.

John we went to Sheba Dams and it was so pleasant but we so loved Chaffey dam and the idea of camping so close to the water. Hubby is interested in his fishing chances as opposed to Kepit Dam so would be interested in your feedback. We noticed plenty of campers had lines in the water so assumed that they must catch something. Also is there much dishonesty reported from there. Second question John - we drove out to Manila and found a track to the river junction - do they catch much there and do they catch much near the caravan park just up from the weir?

Finally - had a great time in Tamworth- the locals can be proud of their wonderful city- I place Tamworth and Mildura as 2 greatplaces with the nicest local hospitality
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:26

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:26
Sounds like the thermostat is a bit off colour

AnswerID: 345764

Follow Up By: didiaust - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:42

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:42
If it was the thermostat wouldn't the radiator be hot
FollowupID: 613787

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:51

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:51
You will probably find that with the high ambient temps and the use of the air con, would cause the temp to rise when going up hills as the motor would be working harder.
It would drop going down the hill as there would be less load on the motor in comparision.

Good to see that you enjoy your stay in Tamworth and it is a shame you had to cut your stay short.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 345770

Follow Up By: didiaust - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 20:09

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 20:09
Thanks Kev

We covered plenty of shows and ground in the time we were there
FollowupID: 613793

Reply By: Rolly - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:59

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:59
It would be interesting to take accurate measurements of the voltage at the sender when the a/c fan is running.
There's every possibility that a poor earth return could be the source of the problem.
AnswerID: 345774

Follow Up By: didiaust - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 20:07

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 20:07
Poor earth return - now that sounds interesting. I was amazed how it just dropped and rose so rapidly, Like 1/2 a second.
FollowupID: 613792

Follow Up By: Rolly - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 17:33

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 17:33
If there is a resistance in a corroded connection it can change rapidly with a small change in temperature.
FollowupID: 613880

Follow Up By: Rolly - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 17:45

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 17:45
Also, whereas the poor earth return may be sufficient when only the usual feeds are switched on, a significant increase in current demand may cause it to reduce voltages in the circuit.
I had an old 6 volt VW for years with the best set of headlights. Normally the lights on these models were pretty feeble, but by bridging the mudguard to the main body with small copper loops to ensure a good return - Bingo! Real lighting.
Bad earths are the fundamental cause of a lot of 'mysterious' electrical faults. They are a "trap for young players" and even some auto elecs who should know better.
I put this only as a "possibility" in your case, but an easy and cheap one to find or to eliminate from the list of 'maybe's'.
FollowupID: 613884

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 17:29

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 17:29
Hi Di,

Sorry to hear that you had to cut the trip short - I trust all is well with you now. Don't think even ourselves as locals are coping too well with the weather anyway - 36 degrees and abt 85% humidity today.

Chaffey Dam is a funny place for fishing - one of the only places where you can catch Silver Perch with some regularity off the bank - esp just before dark. Just a light line, no sinker and a small shrimp or worms for bait. If "Hubby" wants to try for Golden perch or Murray Cod he might need a boat but as the dam is small, a 12 ' tinny with 4 or 6 hp is fine. You may have noticed the honesty box at Chaffey Dam - sooooooo little $$ for such a nice place. Glad you liked it.

The junction of the rivers at Manilla (the Manilla River comes down from Splitrock Dam and the Namoi River which starts it's journey to the sea not far from Walcha as the McDonald River) is not much of a place to fish. However the reserve below the weir - keeping in mind that the first 50 metres above and below the main weir is a "NO FISHING" area is a top spot to wet a line. Lots of locals fish in the area and cacth both M Cod and Golden perch. You will lose baits to European carp but in the Darling system these days that's a given.

I saw Peter and Mary's van and 4x4 but was always going somewhere and the traffic was crazy - I'll be glad when Tuesday comes and I can have my town back.

I've enjoyed the festival as I've had friends from the Central Coast and Maclean here.

Can't advise of the Bravo getting hot as I'm a Nissan driver myself LOL

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 345877

Follow Up By: didiaust - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 19:46

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 19:46
We will definately be stopping at Chaffey for a few days some time this year. We have the tinny so will chase the elusive MC. I will post before we head up therefor a few more hints. Thamks for all the advice - I'm a bit of a Lake Macquarie expert so don't hesitate to ask if you head this way. BTW did you know Ron Anzelark - he was an inspector here on the coast?
FollowupID: 613899

Follow Up By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 13:47

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 13:47
Hi again Di,

More than welcome to pick my brain re Chaffey Dam or other fishing spots up this way. As for Lake Macquarie - I lived in Newcastle for abt 14 years til abt 1983 and I worked on Lake Macquarie for 4 1/2 years so have a fair idea myself abt the place. Used to love putting my witches Hats out in Belmont Bay and getting a good feed of Blue Swimmer crabs.
As for Ron Anzelark - he had retired before I joined and that was nearly 31 years ago. Ron Sharrock was at Swansea before I went there and then Dick Amor was the boss.

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 613988

Sponsored Links