Hillocks Drive - Fishing

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:27
ThreadID: 65387 Views:8248 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning to camp at Hillocks Drive Yorke Pen, for a couple of days at the end of March. I have a map of Hillocks. Which are the best beaches to fish at? Best camping areas? and is it safe to drive down to and on any of the beaches where access is possible?

Of course next question is fish and rigs - send away and I'll listen.

Thanks.
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 09:45

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 09:45
Google i- 0.12 secs.

Hillocks Drive

Address South Coast Road,
Marion Bay
South Australia, 5575, Australia
Telephone Enquiries : 08-8854 4002

Hillocks Drive embraces several miles of spectacular, rugged coastline interspersed with quiet, sandy beaches and rock pools, a photographer's delight and a haven from the pressures of city living. Kangaroos, emus and native birds abound in nearby scrubland.

The entry gate is situated adjacent Hillocks Homestead, 43 kilometres south west of Warooka and 16 kilometres east of Marion Bay on the South Coast Road, but to enter you must obtain a permit for each vehicle and a key hired from the Homestead.

Bush camping is permitted. Drinking water, bait, ice and some supplies available. Hot showers are available at Homestead. Safest beaches are marked with an S. All other areas must be considered risky at all times.

Flora and fauna are protected and strictly no hunting or destruction of vegetation.

Bush camping is permitted but campers must contact the owner. Effective June 18 to August 18 inclusive Hillocks Drive will be closed.

AnswerID: 345826

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:57

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:57
Yep, thanks, have all that on the brochure, was hoping for some local knowledge/input.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613848

Reply By: Hopper51 - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:22

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:22
We stayed there in Oct last year. The fishing wasn't all that good while we were there but it is a great place to visit. Butler's beach is supposed to be the best beach for fishing. You can't drive down to any of the beaches because of cliffs but it is not far to walk down from your camp site. Plenty of secluded camping areas to choose from. If you need a hot shower you drive back to the homestead and pay $2 for the privilege.
If you like bush camping, Innes National Park is worth a visit too. The fishing (gar, tommies, squid) from Stenhouse Bay jetty can be quite rewarding.
Chris W
AnswerID: 345845

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 13:00

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 13:00
Thanks Chris,

Re Browns beach, isnt there a track going down to the beach. I went in there about 2 years ago and just had a look. I thought that I recalled a sandy track that vehicles (4x4) had been using to go down to the beach.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613849

Follow Up By: Hopper51 - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 15:03

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 15:03
Brown's beach is at the far end of Innes National Park. There is no vehicle access to the beach there - just a steep slope to walk down. Butler's beach is part of Hillock's Drive. You may get a vehicle down to the beach but I'm not sure if you would ever get it up the sandy slope again.
Chris W
FollowupID: 613855

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 15:27

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 15:27
Thanks Chris. I did mean Butlers Beach.
Appreciate your response.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613858

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:00

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:00
go to the west coast...just got back from fishing that area and got zilch....but then again swmbo can outfish me......

agree butlers is a good spot to camp...with amenities is a bonus

also has some good rock fishing form the rocky points (islands?) that are accessible from the mainland
FollowupID: 614088

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:42

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:42
yep we always found the yorke to be fished out. best beach for fishing is sighnposted as formby bay and is a decent walk along the clifftops then down to the beach - probabally why it was about the only spot i found worth fishing .

didnt often miss out on the west coast though
dolphins beach was always very reliable for salmon and locks wells for bigger ones.

talia beach for other stuff. pulled a honker 20lb (weighed) snapper out of the surf there and a gummy shark.

the ledge near the tub at talia was always a decent platform into deep water. The cliffs around elliston hold big sweep.

thers also a spot near streaky bay i went to 2 years running with leatherjackets every cast so big i was pulling them in on 4.0 ganged hooks
FollowupID: 618386

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:46

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:46
there is one good spot. when heading to hillocks from marion bay there is a scenic car park. if you walk to the edge of the cliff and look down - if you are carefull you can access a ledge below - found that good for sweep and trevally
- not the safest spot to get to
FollowupID: 618387

Reply By: zwartsy - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 00:20

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 00:20
Hillocks didnt really impress us the last time we went but there are a few secluded camping areas and they are close to the beach. The camping areas are (or were) pretty grotty...broken glass and other rubbish around (weve got kids so the glass was particularly an issue). Weve been down there in September and there was a good gutter running (head west on the track when you get to the beach area and up the hill) and the Salmon was good. You will hike down the cliff area...goat track...down to the beach...easily accessed really....unless you come up with too much salmon...then its hard work...but then its worth it. We camped at Pondalowie recently too and that was awful ....the kangaroo ticks were so bad we had to cut our trip short....the fishing was good in the bay there tho....lots of mullet and big fat ones at that. The squidding is good off of Marion Bay too. Have fun...just watch out for the Ticks!!
AnswerID: 349986

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:24

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:24
Thanks Zwartsy,

Just what I was looking for.

The main reason I chose here is that I only have a couple of days and there is some security. i.e. we can leave swags etc out and hopefully they wont go walk abouts.

But of course it would be nice to catch some fish too.

I'll give them a ring soon to get some more info.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 618370

Sponsored Links