Murray-Sunset, Hattah-Kulkyne & Mungo Parks

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:00
ThreadID: 6542 Views:3058 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Mrs and I are heading that way for coupla weeks at the end of this week. Are pretty much completely self sufficient (beer & diesel). Enjoy quietness, seclusion and a fun drive. Can people recommend some good spots to visit, enjoy, stay whilst in the area? Sorta a big circle around Mildura. We've only driven through in the past, never stopped to explore and enjoy. We've always wanted to go to Mungo and have read previous posts about it.

Have a 100 Series towing a Heaslip camper, canoe on board. Looking forward to it ay.

JimB
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:20

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:20
Jim,
Never been to any of those like you always seemed to drive through. I have often thought I should do them so make sure you put up a short report on this sight when you come back.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 27692

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:07

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:07
Great camping spots in the Big & Little Desert NP. Visit the old Church at Pella just west of Rainbow, get the key from the property down the road.

Good drive down the Milmed Rock Track and not a bad bush camp at Arnold Springs, then the Pella Track to Nhill.

The best end to start is Murryville, S 35 53.958 E 141 59.778.

AnswerID: 27696

Reply By: Ray M (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:46

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:46
Good camping at Hattah at Lake Hattah by the info centre or at lake Mournpall. The lakes are empty so if you want to get the canoe wet you'll have to try the Murray along the river track, nice camp sites.

Suggest you visit the parks vic site where you can download the info sheets for these parks.
Parks VicHooroo
AnswerID: 27702

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:50

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:50
Contact the Rangers @ Mungo and see if you can get accommodation @ the old Shearers Quarters. They are fantastic with great facilitites. It is an honesty payment so ensure you have correct change. Mungo is fantastic, and if you have time also visit Menindee and the

Pink Lakes has great camping with tank water, pit toilets and firewood available. Just wait on where you decide to camp there though as some of the trees have bees nests that can be painful (no pun intended).

Hattah has lots of camping spots on the river - don't camp under Redgums though.

There are lots of great four wheel drive books and maps available for these areas. Also log onto the Parks Victoria website where you can download maps for all those areas.

Horseshoe bend in Little Desert has good camping facilities. Access is from Dimboola and then you can do a day trip or two through Little Desert. The tracks are sandy, but easy to do on your own. Just lower tyre pressures a bit.

Milmed Rock and Chinamans Well track in Wyperfeld NP can be done as a circuit. I did that a couple of years ago, camping one night at Lake Hindmarsh and then finishing up at Hopetoun - nice drive.

Enjoy yourselves, take it slowly and smell the serenity.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 27704

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 16:58

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 16:58
There is also old shearers quarters in the north west of Murray Sunset that you can stay at. Just Do It!

FollowupID: 19125

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:53

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:53
great area spent 5 days there back in 2001 mid march
We mostly camped at lake mournpall at Hattah although it was dry and very little water in all of the lakes system(some were empty) we enjoyed the solitude as it was midweek quite a few roos and emu's to keep you amused facilities were a litle lack lustre but if they were good it would have been busier i guess .
We found doing a day hike from Mournpall to the murray and back good day to fill in (we were younger and fitter with no kids lol).
Good area for quite reflection and bird/animal watching.
I hope you get to use your canoe up there we didnt till we drove to Mildura say gday to Gary the ranger at Mungo (helpful guy).
The store isnt far for any supplies at Hattah.
hope it helps
1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 27706

Reply By: bruce - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:13

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:13
Lots of places to camp along the Murray behind the Hattah lakes N/P..below the wier at Wentwoth is a nice spot ...on the left just before the Abbotsford bridge on the Murray between Merbein and Wentworth is good...have fun ..cheers
AnswerID: 27710

Reply By: JimB - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:22

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:22
Thanks to all, that really helps a lot. Gives us some good ideas and suggestions for our itinerary

Goodonya

Will post some resultant impressions upon our return

JimB
AnswerID: 27713

Reply By: Willywags- Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:47

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:47
Agree with all of the above. You can drive thru Murray Sunset past Rocket Lake and Pink Lakes and then return to Mildura via Hattah-Kulkyne which is very picturesque. West of WEntworth you van visit Lake Victoria which is huge and also drive up to Chowgilla Regional Reserve in SA. There is a nice camp site at Lake Hindmarsh( a bit far away from Mildura) and good access into Wyperfield NP. There may be a challenging track in Wyperfield as I backtracked once while driving as I was not fully prepared for the track to the north. Mungo is an interesting place but a day visit is enough. You could sleepover as mentioned before. We did the Big Desert track in the wet and it was very slippery, but that is also quite a way from Mildura. You will find lots to do around Mildura itself. Enjoy !
Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 27715

Reply By: jules - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 15:33

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 15:33
if you want to stay in Mildura head for the Buronga Riverside Tourist Park (NSW side of river) ph 50233040 - great relaxed campground, good facilities right on the river not crowded and nice people.
AnswerID: 27741

Follow Up By: Brad - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:35

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:35
Spent 3 nights at Mungo in our LC100 and Ultimate 3 weeks ago.
Very good NP campsite with fireplaces, wood and hot showers.
Had a agreat time - wish i was going back tomorrow.
Regards,
Brad
FollowupID: 19142

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 20:00

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 20:00
When I was there just after Easter the camp area close to the info centre was a tent city while the remote camp as they call it at the top of the park was deserted.Hooroo
FollowupID: 19153

Reply By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:25

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:25
Jim, If you want to do some canoeing either this weekend or the last weekend of your trip around the Riverland area give me a ring on 0427 100016. If I don't answer it (left it at work or turned off) leave a message and I'll ring you back. I can also advise of some good campsites around here.
Have a good trip.Alpaca
AnswerID: 27798

Reply By: JimB - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:55

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:55
Some great responses and advice.

Thanks all, yeah Alpaca, we may just give you a call. We enjoy pottering around, enjoy the quiet too ay. Thought we'd spend a coupla days around Mungo, soak up the opportunities to wander around and explore some of the cultural history.

Goodonya peoples (1 sleep to go, not counting but)

JimB
AnswerID: 27837

Sponsored Links