East Coast Holiday

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 15:15
ThreadID: 6548 Views:1952 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Any of you good folk on the East Coast help me out. We are planning a holiday in Oct to Dec 2004 going down the East Coast starting in Cairns and ending in Melb/Victoria somewhere. We will taking the kids with us and plan to stop in Gold Coast to do the theme parks etc etc for 2 weeks, and probably 8/9 days in Cairns as well. My question is with the rest of the time we have what are the ABSOLUTELY DO NOT MISS, must sees and give it a miss's for the rest of the trip.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 16:59

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 16:59
Hi Mick,

depends on your time frame...but if you're coming down to Melb/Vic I would certainly go along the Great Ocean Road.

Lyn1927 Oldsmobile Tourer

Corrugations...what are they?
AnswerID: 27753

Reply By: ThePublican - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 17:32

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 17:32
Richmond..dinosaurs...Rockhampton..1828 beefsteak,, Brisvegas.. trip on citycat.,,, and total value for the dollar Steve Irvins Australia Zoo at Buderim ,,The Crocodile Hunters theme park,, the BEST PARK OF ALL THE PARKS and only $23 per adult or family pass $65,, you will need ALL day to see it .
AnswerID: 27760

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:03

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:03
That's 1824 steak, Publican.

Hooroo...

FollowupID: 19157

Reply By: Prado Boy - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:17

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:17
G'day Mick,

I've been up and down the East Coast between Brisbane and Melbourne a few times in the last few years on photography trips - so have seen much of it and know a few good spots. I agree with the folks above regarding Steve Irwins Australia Zoo at Beerwah on the Sunshine Coast north of Brisvegas - best of the theme parks and well worth a whole day. The other parks around the Gold Coast can be a bit tacky - but the kids will love em. Tiger Island at Dreamworld is worth the cost of admission alone - as are the Polar Bears at Seaworld. Brisbane itself is worth a few of days - and there are beautiful NP's in the Gold Coast hinterland (Lamington NP, Border Ranges NP) if you're into that kinda thing.

On the National Park/camping theme - around Brisbane Great Sandy NP which includes most of Fraser Island and the Cooloola section on the mainland with Rainbow and Teewah Beaches is an absolute must for 4WDer's - as is Moreton Island NP. North Stradbroke Island is a tourist mecca and has great camping too. In NSW north of Sydney definitely visit the coastal parks of Bundjalung NP, Yagygir NP, Hat Head NP and Myall Lakes NP. South of Sydney Royal NP is gorgeous, Moreton NP, Deua NP, Mimosa Rocks NP and Ben Boyd NP are all well worth a look. The South Coast of NSW is quite picturesque. In Victoria, Croajingalong NP, Snowy River NP, Wilsons Promontory NP and Otway NP and the Great Ocean Road are all must see attractions. The Great Ocean Road (on the western side of Melbourne though) is particularly spectacular.

If you like the rugged spots that Lighthouses often occupy then the following spots are great - Byron Bay Lighthouse at Australia's most Easterly Point, Smokey Cape Lighthouse near South West Rocks, Seal Rocks Lighthouse near Myall Lakes NP, Green Cape Lighthouse in Ben Boyd NP, Point Hicks Lighthouse in Croajingalong NP, Cape Schanck Lighthouse near Mornington Peninsule NP and Cape Otway Lighthouse off the Great Ocean Road - all offer accomodation in Lighthouse keepers quarters for a truly unique experience but be sure to book well in advance. The lighthouses of Australia also have intriguing history too.

For an interesting return trip you might like to try coming back to Sydney via the Victorian and NSW High country - Victoria's Alpine NP and NSW's Kosciuszko NP are both spectacular and will be cooler in the summer months. Also - if visiting many NP's in NSW investigate obtaining a National Parks pass. Each year I get a yearly parks pass ($80) and it always pays for itself very quickly - entry into Kosciuszko alone could cost you $17 a day if memory serves correctly.

Whatever happens - plan well and have a great trip!
AnswerID: 27856

Follow Up By: mick - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:03

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:03
Hey Prado Boy,

Thanks for the info, will go a long way in planning our holiday and getting the most out of every day. Thanks for that.

Mick
FollowupID: 19217

Follow Up By: Prado Boy - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 16:46

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 16:46
Mick,

No worries mate - hope you have a great trip!

Cheers,
Prado Boy
FollowupID: 19395

Reply By: andy - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 15:48

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 15:48
Checkout the MOGO Zoo just south of Batemans bay. Awesome collection of animals. My sons loved the tigers at feeding time and all of the reptiles and monkeys. When you just cross the boarder into Victoria take a left at Genoa and camp a few days at Mallacoota inlet (23 km's off the highway. Unspoilt beaches, a town of only 1000 with a great beachfront camping ground. Warm water inland in the lake and estury system with easy to access fishing spots (great for kids) great boat launching facilities and hire of motor boats and yachts. 4Wheel driving down the coast from here is good with plenty of beach spots to camp at. Allow a 3 day trip through the Croajingalong and you will eventually pop out at the Cann River/Orbost end of the park. Tons of Roos, Goannas and some of the best wildflowers in the state. Don't expect to see many people on this trip as it is a bit off the highway.
AnswerID: 27893

Reply By: Wheresthebear68 - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 15:28

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 15:28
Townsville is OK for a visit on the way through; take a day trip or spend the night over on Magnetic Island (15 minute cat service). Further down is Airlie Beach which is the gateway to the Whitsundays; a must see if there ever was one.

Not much that got me excited until Hervey Bay about 3 hrs north of Brisbane. Best whale watching in the world (check out the glass bottomed catamaran for the best view) from the marina. Take a barge over to Fraser Island and spend at least 3 days there !!! Its a 45 minute car ferry ride and drops you right into the Kingfisher Resort. Not the cheapest place but if you want to tough it out in luxury tree-top villas and take in a spa after a hard days loafing on the beach ......

Its not 'hard' 4x4ing and guaranteed the family will love it. Lake McKenzie is the pick of the spots !

40 minutes north of Brisbane is Bribie Island; about 20 minutes off the highway. Its connected via a bridge so easy to get to. There beach on the far side is 4WD legal and once again is a great spot for lunch and a liesurely plod along pristine beaches. Need at least a day permit which is available on the day at the caravan park for $20.

Theme parks are great but if you have a 4x4 then use it !!!!!!

Contact me via www.ozkia.com if you want more details etc

AnswerID: 28013

Reply By: Andrew(WA) - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 22:46

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 22:46
mick

If you are planning a trip to the reef....I thought it was a better value trip and more enjoyable from Townsville rather from Cairns.

It's a longer trip on the Cat out to the reef but you usually will see whales on the way and they will divert the boat to be near them. The boat also goes via Magnetic Island to pick up day trippers from there too for the trip.

I found the whole experience less 'tourist' like from Townsville.

My family, kids and all, are doing the opposite to you and starting across the bottom in October making our way to Townsville for Xmas. Might pass you on the way!
AnswerID: 28070

Follow Up By: Andrew(WA) - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 22:55

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 22:55
I forgot to mention..

No one has said anything about the Tree top Sky Rail in Cairns which takes you over the rainforest and into Kuranda.

YOU MUST DO THIS.

The best views around, you'll love it. It has two station stops enroute where you get off and walk amonst the dense forrest on board walks.

In Kuranda you can spend the day looking around, lunch etc. very nice. Then head back down the mountains on the Kuranda Train late in the day. It's a wonderful day out and Kid friendly. JUST DO IT

cheers
FollowupID: 19432

Sponsored Links