Rudall River Feedback

My wife and I are thinking about returning to WA from Alice in June via the Gary Junction and then Rudall River NT.
We will be towing our Tvan (with Prado TD)
Does anyone have any advice/comments/ recommendations to make about this idea. Obviously weather conditions at the time will need to be assessed but any other info re. particular spots to visit camp etc would be very welcome
Thanks
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:43

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:43
Hi mike H,

See ExplorOz treks - its got comprehensive run down.

cheers

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346332

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:54

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:54
A mate travelled with us 18months ago, pulling his TVan behind a TD troopie, through Gary Junction Rd, then down the Canning from Well 33, then Talawana track and up through Rudall River and out the top to Carawine Gorge - no issues whatsoever. The place is remote, but the 4wding is not difficult.
AnswerID: 346336

Follow Up By: Member - mike H (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 14:15

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 14:15
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the info.
Do you remember any particularly good (or otherwise) places to camp/visit as time will be a little restricted for us.
Cheers
Mike
FollowupID: 614340

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 16:03

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 16:03
Gary Junction Rd is a well graded 80kph road, so you'll gte a fair way. Be aware that fuel at Kintore is only available at certain times.
Lots of people camp at Jupiter Well, but my preference is to camp in virgin bush where you're not looking at other people's rubbish, so we usually start looking for camp about an hour before beer o'clock and grab the first good place we find. Anywhere near desert oaks is usually OK - often find tracks leading away from Len Beadell plaques to reasonable camp spots. Naturally, need to leave camp as good or better than you found it.

If you're short of time, I'd guess you might drop into Rudall River via Punmu and Telfer, then out via Newman. Although the scenic route would be to go via CSR, Talawana Track, RR, Telfer and then drop into Carawine Gorge, Nullagine and head south.

In Rudall River, we camped at Desert Queen Baths, and along a couple of water holes west of the track. Plenty of places to choose from that are accessible with a TVan.
FollowupID: 614368

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 15:11

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 15:11
Pew pics here from 2005.

Gary Jn Road & Rudall River NP

RR is not country to rush thru and it is quite remote.

Cheers,
Peter

OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 346352

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:10

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:10
Mike, these links may help.

Track Report

Rudall River Highlights

Blog- Turtle Rockhole

There are quite a few of my blog entries relating to both the Gary Junction, Rudall and surrounds listed in July 08 on my exploroz blog page.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 346420

Sponsored Links