2004 TOYOTA HILUX Air Conditioning Condenser

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 23:43
ThreadID: 65510 Views:9408 Replies:6 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Looks like the Hilux needs a new condenser,Now is there basically one supplier or many brands,Thought one maker was called astrad ????...Should i go original Toyota and be done with it,dont want a no-name el cheapo crap...Not mechanically minded at all but some advice would be great..
Can i put a bigger one in????? It looks quite smallish..

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser Crazy - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 00:57

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 00:57
Why would you go for a Toyota supplied one?
If you go to your local Car Elec, he'll show you the same one only with a different sticker on it and half the price.
Toyota doesn't make them, they buy them and sell it on to you as a original Toyota.

Cruiser Crazy
AnswerID: 346503

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 01:36

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 01:36
**Why would you go for a Toyota supplied one?**

Thats the whole idea of the question..
As i said cruiser i havnt a clue when it comes to mechanics,now if someone was to ask me about tools,Nail Guns (Paslode),Planer (Makita),Cordless Drills (Panasonic)...You get my drift,Now i would think there would be a supplier of condensers that have a good reputation...If not well i'll take what the aircon blokes suggests..Thats all

Cheers
FollowupID: 614508

Follow Up By: Cruiser Crazy - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 01:51

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 01:51
I don't know why your old one needs replacing, but if it's because of leaking due to rust, you might wanna get a Stainless steel one. If it's just leaking, or if it's damaged, I would buy a new one thats the same size as your old one.
If your compressor would need to be replaced, you might wanna take some time to find a proper brand. But a condensor is just a small radiator for Airco's.
Not really a high tech part that could give you more if you go for an expensive brand.

Good luck with it.

Cruiser Crazy
FollowupID: 614511

Reply By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 14:12

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 14:12
Hi there Warfer, check out my reply to thread no 65457. Not all condensors for Toyota are made here in Aus. Also you would need to make sure all pipe work, etc will hook up ok if buying non genuine. Nippondenso fittings are different. Alot of the toyota cars these days especially ones with climate air are fitted from the factory like the GXL prado's, all made in Japan. Personally I wouldnt fit any thing else through experiance but some times it all comes down to the $$$. May I ask why you are replacing it anyway ?? Accident ?? stone damge etc ?? WHG
AnswerID: 346564

Follow Up By: donks1 - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:02

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:02
Hi there

Denso is genuine for hiiluxs

Donks1
FollowupID: 614580

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:39

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:39
Hi there Donks1, yeah I know that, all genuine toyota air is Nippondenso, personally one of the best aircon systems around, and been around for a long time too. Hence in my previous reply if he was to get a non genuine condensor (not nippondenso) he would have to make sure the fittings are the same, as there are some around that wont just fit straight up and will require adaptors (more chance of leaks) (this is of course his is factory genuine air)...WHG
FollowupID: 614594

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:42

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:42
Should have also said there are after market aircon kits kits for the hilux's. Air con should be standard in all aussie cars in my opinion, bloody still an option a joke. WHG
FollowupID: 614597

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 14:32

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 14:32
Hiya Guys

Thanks for the replies,took to an aircon bloke,he thought it may be the tx valve,well its been replaced,still no decent cool air at all,now he feels its the condenser may be blocked etc etc

When away i noticed under the passenger side mat it was wet,not like water wet, it was different,but that did not seem to phase him...

Thanks
AnswerID: 346570

Follow Up By: donks1 - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:00

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:00
Have you checked with Tojo

Some of these are only $150.00

Why mess with aftermarket ???

Donks1
FollowupID: 614578

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:30

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:30
**Have you checked with Tojo**

Hiya Donks

Do you mean Toyota Spare Parts by the above statement ???? If so i am getting mixed messages (Toyota dont make genuine or is it Denso) ?????

**Why mess with aftermarket ???**

Well that was my initial way of thinking (after a power steering box bleep itself in warranty on my 5.0 Holden Berlina and they would not stand by it a few years back,said yep its leaking but thats all we can do,Rocky-Frankston Power Steering off Hartnett Drive,Doesnt own it now i think) Pathetic Service.
So i bought a genuine Holden one for $500 bucks...Never had an issue since...

So what is it guys do Toyota make an original or is it Nippon Denso...?????

Might ring Toyota Spare Parts I think...

Cheers
FollowupID: 614593

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:49

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:49
Hi there Warfer, to stop confusing you, Nippondenso is what is fitted to all toyota vehicles that state they have factory air. You might say "" yeah mate its factory fitted air by toyota"" yes its fitted either by toyota at the factory or its added to the vehicle when you order the vehicle new and will be fitted by the dealership you purchased it from in their workshop BUT whether fitted in workshop or from the factory the aircon kits are made by nippondenso sold as Toyota aircon ... As Donks as said, if only $150 why would you bother getting after market and end up with problems, go genuine. WHG
FollowupID: 614601

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:53

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:53
FollowupID: 614602

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:55

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:55
This is what the box looks like genune toyota air comes in, BUT when you look at the manufacturer of the actual aircon kit it is made by nippondenso, as is the sticker on the pump, evap, and the condensor. WHG
FollowupID: 614603

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:59

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:59
Thanks Wherehegon for your time to explain mate,just got off the phone from Toyota...The replacement Condensor is $225 and will have to be shipped from Sydney...

I will buy this unit from Toyota...Just going to another Air con bloke for second opinion first and then sort it out...

Thanks once again Cruiser,Donks,etc etc

Cheers
FollowupID: 614604

Reply By: toyocrusa - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 17:25

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 17:25
Hi Warfer.It would be very unusual for a 4 year old car to have a faulty or blocked condensor unless it has had a prior accident of some description. I think I would try another A/C person and get a 2nd opinion. Connecting pressure guages should give the technician a better idea of what is happening. Regards, Bob.
AnswerID: 346598

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 18:48

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 18:48
**I think I would try another A/C person and get a 2nd opinion**

Hiya toyocrusa

Yep think your right

**Connecting pressure guages should give the technician a better idea of what is happening.**

I think this is what has him stumped,He said it shows higher than normal,the gas is right,So his first guess was the tx valve (looks like i did my doe there) did not solve the issue so i guess the next guess is condenser and if its not that the next guess will be compressor and on she goes,Im feeling broke already lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 614634

Follow Up By: toyocrusa - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 20:18

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 20:18
Hi Warfer. Normally faulty TX valves make Hi side Pressure lower and Low side pressure higher. Run engine around 1800 rpm with air con. operating, inlet side of condensor (from compressor) should be EXTREMLY hot to feel, outlet side (to receiver/drier) should be hot to warm,(a thermometer is best to check this with if possible) this should give you an idea if the condensor is blocked or not. Make sure the cooling fan on the engine/condensor are operating properly as this often causes higher pressure in the high side of the system.Regards, Bob.
FollowupID: 614655

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:22

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:22
Hiya Bob

I have a Raytec gun,Was given it by a mate who imports/exports engine blocks etc etc...I will print this off and get my mechanic (good mate of mine) and go through it...

Thanks once again bud

Cheers
FollowupID: 614676

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 19:01

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 19:01
Warfer
A common problem with air conds that read the right pressures when the gauges are fitted and dont cool is that the heater tap is leaking or stuck open. The air is blown through the evaperator [inside part of air cond], it then goes through the heater box to the vents, as the cold air goes past the heater core it picks up heat and hence can add 5 to10 degrees to vent temp.You can check if this is the problen by blocking off the inlet hose to the heater core with say large g clamp and then running the air cond and check the vent temp.If vent temp cold look at heater tap operation, dont know if its dowden cable or vacumn operated, when you find it usually on engine see that the lever moves when you shift your temp control from heat to cold.If it does remove the tap and make sure that the flap inside tap fully closes [cant blow through it when closed] replace tap if leaking.The damp carpet would indicate that air cond is working ok and that the drain tude is blocked.Hope this might help.In regards to the condenser a after market one is just as good as oem if one is available.Hope this might help.

murray

Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 346615

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:26

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:26
Hiya Murray

Thanks mate will try yours and Bobs ideas..Thanks for your time too..

Will let you two know of outcome,maybe early next week..

Cheers
FollowupID: 614678

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 20:15

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 20:15
** Normally faulty TX valves make Hi side Pressure lower and Low side pressure higher. Run engine around 1800 rpm with air con. operating, inlet side of condensor (from compressor) should be EXTREMLY hot to feel,***

Hiya Bob
The answer to the above is 79 Degrees @ 1800rpm

** outlet side (to receiver/drier) should be hot to warm,(a thermometer is best to check this with if possible) this should give you an idea if the condensor is blocked or not. Make sure the cooling fan on the engine/condensor are operating properly as this often causes higher pressure in the high side of the system.Regards, Bob.::

64 degrees @ 1800 rpm Bob there is no fan on condenser for this model,Both tempreture done with Raytec Gun..
...One mechanic said the Aircon will cyle between this range 0-12 degrees is this right...We hav clamped the hoses to Heater for weekend to see what happens...Seems to be working ok for the minute,so see if it eventually spits out warm air again..

Cheers
AnswerID: 346779

Sponsored Links