Mako Jockey with a Treg

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:44
ThreadID: 65560 Views:4791 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just an idea - don’t laugh. I want to use a mako jockey wheel with Treg hitch on our camper for manoeuvring camper around at home (bit of an incline).

Have nowhere to attach (weld or bolt) jockey clamp on side of tow bar so thinking about attaching / welding a pin on side of Mako or something like that.

Camper fairly light (around 1200kg loaded up). Still a bit heavy on the incline for me alone.

I'm not sure it’ll work - any thoughts appreciated. Has anyone done something like this? If so can you post a photograph. cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:53

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:53
Sorry just realised its Maco (Mule) not Mako
AnswerID: 346853

Reply By: Tenpounder - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 13:00

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 13:00
Hi there. Just two comments:

1 - I have a caravan, and we too are on a slope. So I bought the heavier, two wheel Maco in the interests of traction: I was quite surprised at the amount of 'oomph' a caravan can biring to bear on a middle aged man hanging onto a Maco! (And our van is only 1400kg loaded, so it's in the same ball park as your CT.) and the brake on the Maco is obviously only as good as the tyre traction.

2 - The Maco needs a bit of swinging room, so if you mount it next to the Treg, you may well find you cannot operate the main lever/steering arm properly. And I can tell you, from personal experience, that the Maco needs to be controlled by you - quickly - if it is to do its job of steering and braking.

As a guess, I'd want the Maco mounting to be at least half a metre from the back bumper of the tow vehicle to allow the Maco ratchets to be engaged and disengaged, and the steering rod used to manoeuvre the CT.

I am a great fan of the Maco, by the way, and I have used it to turn the van through 180 degrees, on s side slope, when I went down a 'no through road' with not turning circle at the end. I am an expert at stuff ups!
Regards
Chris
AnswerID: 346868

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 13:01

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 13:01
By the way, I'm from SA too, so you can talk to me further if you wish.
FollowupID: 614926

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:51

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:51
thanks Chris. Sounds interesting to operate - no doubt if I get something to work will have some learning to do. I've got the ability to unhitch on the flat then walk it up with Maco so hopefully clearance to car ok for me. cheers
FollowupID: 614958

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:10

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:10
I'm amased there's no room.

The clamp for the Mako Mule must be on the right hand side for a dual wheel unit and is also preferable for a single wheel unit. It is welded/bolted to the outside of the A-frame up towards the coupling.

How come there is no room?

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 346876

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:35

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:35
Hi Sand Man. Interested to read your comment that the Maco 'must be on the right hand side for a dual wheel unit'.
In my case, I already had 2 jockey clamps, one in the middle of the A frame on the cross member, and out of the question for the Maco (clearance wise), and the other one towards the front of the A frame, on the near side. So, if you mean the right side as you face the trailer (looking backwards) then my mounting is OK.
But the MACO is symmetrical, left to right, isn't it? so what's the difference? I'm not saying you are wrong, Sand Man, but I don't yet understand.
Regards
Chris (SA)
FollowupID: 614951

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:42

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:42
Howdy Bill, it's for our Ultimate, so got no A frame and is short between front boot and hitch. Also, I got swing jockey (on right side) and I dont want to interfere with it. On left have handbrake and electricals.

Still thinking something might be possible with the treg. Reckon pin fixed to maco could go through polyblock, then swing around and have clamp that stops polyblock/maco rotating forward or back. Anyway, will see what comes through. cheers
FollowupID: 614952

Sponsored Links