Floods in Western Queensland.

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:24
ThreadID: 65564 Views:3210 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
To anyone contemplating trips into north and north west of Queensland have a look at todays Courier Mail of the water in and around Boulia. Georgetown is isolated. Normanton and Burketown have been cut from all but air for past three or four weeks and it continues to rain.

Believe that Birdsville is looking at third flood this season but haven't seen or heard anything from Ruth or Bob Y.

The short comment is that even if it fines up tomorrow it will be months before the roads return to 'normal'. Whatever that is!.

Give a thought to those who are doing it tough - AGAIN.

Kevin J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 13:22

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 13:22
Kev,

I am pretty sure Ruth is heading this way to attend a couple of functions around the Gladstone, 1770 areas (if they got out of Birdsville).

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346871

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:19

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:19
She wishes!
FollowupID: 614996

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:38

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:38
hahahaha

Are you stranded or is it later in the month you heading this way

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 614998

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:59

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:59
Stranded - see below!
FollowupID: 615003

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 15:58

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 15:58
Have a look at BOM all those lows it doesn't look good for the stranded.
AnswerID: 346900

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:58

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:58
Sorry have been busy at school and Bob Y. has flown north.
Let's see as of about an hour ago the height here is 6.7m and we are into the third flood. Just did the levels for Roseberth Stn for 3:00 pm and it is 5.55 m and rising slowly there.
Dick Smith flew in yesterday in a very nice jet for a sticky beak - had Macca from Australia All Over with him as well. There is a twin engine plane flying around today up and down the river having a look as well, right now.
Haven't spoken to Clifton Hills yet but we think the water should be near there now - certainly into Goyders LAgoon - it stretches now from Elderslie, above WInton, into South Australia. Not bad really for a little puddle with no rain worth mentioning down this end.
Sir Kev, we were to leave next Thursday - but that's out and with more rain up north our other escape route has closed off as well!
We had a supply truck from the east, Quilpie and Brisbane on the 19th December and one from Adelaide about two weeks ago - unfortunately it didn't bring the dry goods order for the Store!
Fresh milk and F & V are run out - only a few horses running on the common, no cattle, what a shame! (That's a joke).
Now, one thing I haven't told you this week is what happens when you travel on a closed road - in this case two closed roads.
We 'heard' (as you do on the bush telegraph) there was a ute in trouble on the Windorah road. The next day I saw the ute - not sure if it was towed in but it 'had been' a new Nissan ute and it 'fell' into a hole. The engine is pushed back towards the cab, the chassis is broken, the cab is bent and it is a complete write off - can't tell what colour it should be because of the mud.
This vehicle came up the Birdsville Track (closed) they had lunch at the Pub then headed out on the Windorah Road (closed) - with BIG signs. I haven't taken a photo of it purposely (because people would think I'm picking on Nissans) but that night about 9:30 pm one of the guys was flown out on RFDS with a 'sore neck' and yesterday the other guy got a lift out with Dick Smith on his jet. Am I jealous - am I what! Unbelievable.
I wonder if the owner has insurance and I wonder what he will tell his insurance company about what happened, and will the insurance company ring and verify it?
I will take some photos of the sandhill at the back of the airport though because it is entirely covered in vegetation and hard to believe it's a sandhill. The other bit of news is that the Georgina/Eyre Creek is absolutely running a banker and if you watch the rainfall you will note that it just keeps raining from Urandangi and points north - this water all has to come down this way - certainly to the west of Birdsville and Bedourie.Check out the Mulligan River as well - by the looks of the radar there should be some rain/water over/in the Hay River today as well.
The water coming south in the Georgina/Eyre Creek is causing some concern at Muncoonie - quite a lot. So that should make for some interesting crossings into the Simpson for a while. Eyre Creek - where we cross going into the SD can be 14 sandhills wide - and 14 large water courses, or more.
That's enough news for now - time to turn the last of the Christmas ham into pea and ham soup (that'll feed us for a day or two).
AnswerID: 346914

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:05

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:05
About being stranded - as of yesterday Birdsville really is - because now MACAIR has gone into voluntary receivership we don't even have our twice-weekly flight in and out. We also receive our mail that way - first we heard about it was on the midday ABC news yesterday, needless to say the Friday flight from Mt Isa through here to Brisbane didn't happen. Luckily all the children going to boarding school managed to get out last week - some of their parents can't get back in though! Can't imagine the Govt. will put on charters just for us - so we can't even fly in supplies from Quilpie now, bother!(Lucky Ian's got plenty of xxxx - he might have to sell it to the Pub.) Other problem we have is whether there is enough JetA and AvGas because that truck couldn't get in from Windorah. Oh yes, and the powerhouse.
Great fun - you should all be here to experience it.
AnswerID: 346916

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:35

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:35
While x politicians collect massive 'commissions' for doing little and we can spend, spend spend on inefficient pipelines and traffic tunnels we can't afford to support a life line air service into remote areas.

A message to Capt Bligh. Put the money up even if it comes with a public servant sitting to make sure it goes to the right place but don't - please don't - ignore anyone who happens to live outside of the south east corner.

Thanks for the comprehensive report Ruth. At least the people who read this forum will know what is happening.

Kevin J
FollowupID: 615026

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 19:31

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 19:31
Hang in there Ruth. This thread answers a question i just posted about Coongie lakes. May might be a good time to come visit you.
Andrew
AnswerID: 346937

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:41

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:41
Coongie might be pretty good this year also.
FollowupID: 615059

Reply By: Member - cuffs (SA) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 20:36

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 20:36
From some of us down south the only truth we can trust and detailed info comes from Ruth.
Ta!
AnswerID: 346943

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:40

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:40
Oh thank you.
FollowupID: 615058

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:32

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:32
I mentioned the AvGas and JetA above - Ian has gone this morning in the flood boat from here to Roseberth Station (30 klms to the east by road) to pick up some drums of JetA - this is to fuel the Rescue helicopter which is based in Bedourie. Now Macca has given us such a big rap this morning on Australia All Over - a problem could arise with planes flying in here to have a look at the water and due to the fuel truck not getting in there could be a shortage of AvGas and JetA. (I said could be).
Time to go for cappuccino at the Pub - the Camera Club is having a gathering this morning. See ya - by the way the height is
6.9m this morning and rising slowly. From my kitchen window I look to the road to Big Red, Jardines Waterhole and all I can see is water this morning. I look to the right and I see the sun setting on the sandhill at the back of the Airport. The water actually crossed the start of the Inside Track about lunchtime. I had my maps out this morning and looked again at the Diamantina and have worked out that the flood is approximately 765 kilometres long - there is flood water from the beginning of the river at Rangers Valley and as of this morning it is in the north of Clifton Hills property but not at the homestead yet. It takes a while to wander through Goyders Lagoon.
AnswerID: 347012

Sponsored Links