Access to Bendethera with camper trailer

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:04
ThreadID: 65601 Views:3344 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Afternoon all,

I am looking to do a trip at easter beginning at Bendethera for 3 nights, then onto Mansfield or Wangaratta for a couple of nights, then go an spend a few days exploring the High Country Huts.

My questions are, Can I take a camper trailer into Bendethera?
And, Which is the quickest way to get to Wangaratta from Bendethera? I know there are a couple of ways to get in and out of Bendethera but not sure which is the sensible way towing a camper trailer.

Cheers in advance,
Selasticman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jdbb - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:00

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:00
There's nothing too serious going into Bendethera from the Moruya side or via Dampier FT. There is only a couple of spots you would think about using 4wd. Coming in from Dry Ck would be a bit of a challenge with a CT but I've seen people do it in pretty slippery conditions.

Once you're in there its a great spot with heaps of areas to set up. There's 2 or 3 toilets in there, heaps of good water, fire wood is never an issue.

Others may have a better suggestion, but to get back into Vic have a look at going out up Dampier FT, then on to Cooma via the Braidwood/Cooma road.

John

AnswerID: 347074

Follow Up By: Selasticman - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:12

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:12
Cheers John, Thanks for the info.
FollowupID: 615216

Reply By: BenDiD - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 22:38

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 22:38
Hi Selasticman,

I drove through two weeks ago starting from Braidwood and exiting at Dry Creek. I echo the comments above, I think coming from Dry Creek with a CT would be extremely challenging. There are several very steep sections, big "humps" where drains have been cut and a 2 or 3 hairpin turns on the side of hills where I had to do a 3 point turn in my Paj to get it around the corner.

The road in from Braidwood via Dampier Trig is a bit easier - no hairpins and less winding "side of the cliff" type tracks but still some very steep and slippery sections.

Can't speak to the other tracks mentioned above - I didn't drive them.

Despite all that Bendethera has to be one of the best camping areas I've ever seen so worth some effort to get to.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ben

AnswerID: 347174

Follow Up By: Selasticman - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:51

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:51
Hi Ben,
Thanks for the update.

curious to know wether the other track, I think its 'Little Sugar Loaf' is easy. I think from looking at the maps that it looks kinda windy too. Maybe stick to what forumites recommend while towing.

Cheers,

Dave

FollowupID: 615442

Sponsored Links