Camp o matic Converter

Submitted: Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:12
ThreadID: 65652 Views:3824 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone here still using one these early model camp o matics. I have the possibility of getting one at the right price. Good? Bad? Otherwise?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 23:25

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 23:25
I have a 97 Getaway which I bought second hand 21/2 years ago.

I am delighted with it and SWMBO will now not go in a tent.

In 2008 I did about 25K including Strezlecki, Merty Merty, oodandatta , Savannah Way.

The old guy who built them in Yatala was a fanatic and everything is heavy duty. They even made the tent on premisis, and mine does not leak at all.

The only problem I have with mine is that because ownership has changed many times there is very little info on parts, like where to get bushes for the independent suspension.
Regard sPhilip A
AnswerID: 347338

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 07:57

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 07:57
I have lost the phone no and address of "Bill " who still lives down Yatala way but doing a thorough forum archive search may turn it up ,,, he was one of the original Camp-O-Matic employees and still has a shed full of bits and pieces unique to the Campomatics built prior to the move to SA ,, they have moved again to Sydney and bits and pieces now come from China ,
FollowupID: 615512

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:45

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:45
Yep - Bill Gates (easy to remember :o)- I got his number from an owner of several Campomatics - but he's vanished now - number unobtainable - couldn't see him listed anywhere.
FollowupID: 615539

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:03

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:03
I had "Bill's" number a while ago, and AFAIR it was disconnected.

I wanted new gas struts and wanted to know the Newtons, even rang the dealer in Brisbane.

In the end I got a strut man out and he replaced them, although the new ones are badly finished. Got a new strut for under the bed from Supercheap and it is fine.

I guess if I need new bushes I will take the old ones to a suspension place. I bet they are Landcruiser or something like that.

Wish the old guy in Yatala was like Kimberley who publish a parts list.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 347363

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:57

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:57
My two large gas struts at the rear started to seize up (bad groaning) - took them off in the middle of a trip (still ok to close and open, but much better with struts of course). Simply rang the current owner of Campomatic in Sydney when we got home - they sent two Chinese struts over in the mail el pronto - price was very reasonable too (can't find the receipt of course :-o).

The "old guy" mentioned above would have been Barry Eastwell I guess (sadly, no longer with us) - Barry ran the company for many years with wife Jenny and son Jeff. Our 04 was one of the last built at Yatala - then things 'got complicated'. Ours has been first rate overall - many a great trip and everything still working well with a tinker here and there as expected.
FollowupID: 615542

Sponsored Links