Free Camping inc. water & power

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 05:10
ThreadID: 65685 Views:3923 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody cruising around enjoying our great country, and will be down in the Lower SE-SA area from the middle of next month to the end of May and you want some free camping, contact me.

My wife and I are heading off for about 6 weeks then and instead of putting our 2 well behaved dogs in a kennel we have decided to see if someone would be interested in camping here and look after them. A bit of what to expect:

Small quiet country town, one great country pub, convienience shop inc. takeaways and fuel and a post office.

10 kms to major country town including Woolworths etc.
35 kms to small city with the lot (Bunnings etc.)
50 kms to Coonawarra wine region.
Close to the coast (Robe, Beachport, Southend, Carpenter Rocks Pt. MacDonnell).
Adjacent Canunda National Park. (Would be some of the best sand 4x4 ing in Au.)
Comfortable day trips to Naracoorte Caves,and in Vic,Portland,Port Fairy, Warnambool etc.

You will be able to camp either in the vacant well fenced sheltered block we own behind our home, or put your van in the house yard through the rear access. Your pet welcome. Free electricity.
You can hook onto the rainwater pump (We have 2 x 5000 gal poly tanks) and there is also plenty of good drinkable bore water to wash your vehicle etc. (we have our own bore).
You can have access to 2 toilets, bathroom and laundry and outside entertainment area with gas heating.
In return we would like someone who can take the dogs for a walk daily, feed the 3 chooks (yes fresh eggs), feed the goldfish in the fernhouse ponds, and keep an eye on things.

Our small town would perhaps be one of the few left in Aussie where you can go to town and don't have to lock the house, and you can leave your 4x4 parked outside of the pub all night with the keys in the ignition, and its still there the next morning.

Our neighbour has offered to look after things (and would), but we decided to try this perhaps for AFAIK could be the start of something for EO.

Anyone interested contact me- 56.fathoms@gmail.com

Regards Nick

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 05:56

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 05:56
What do people think of starting a type of house swap thing in ZEO, sounds interesting to me.

Good start from Nick above too. Maybe something like member trips or the ilk. whaddyareckon?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 347475

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 07:53

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 07:53
Hiya Nick

You wanna watch out once someone moves in they dont put a restraining order on ya lol !

Goodluck with it..

Cheers
AnswerID: 347481

Follow Up By: Nickywoop - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 20:43

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 20:43
Thanks for the reply Warfer,

Guaranteed that will not happen, them sort of people won't be given the keys. We are easy going real country people, but still are wary in this world we live in.

Thanks
regards Nick
FollowupID: 615760

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 12:02

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 12:02
Have you thought about housesitters?
We have used them several times & had no problems whatsoever.

AnswerID: 347497

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 12:51

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 12:51
I dont think they are after housesitters - someone just to camp in their backyard with own van or campertrailer. This is a different market altogether to housesitters and avoids the privacy issue of someone living in your home amongst all your personal possessions. I think its a great idea to develop on this forum - a database of exchange free camping venues on peoples properties - a niche market but probably one that there is a demand for.
FollowupID: 615695

Follow Up By: Nickywoop - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 20:48

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 20:48
Thanks Shaker,

Been there done that, incidently with family from interstate, I realize that family are probably the worst, but no more people will live in our home. Welcome to the outside toilets, bathroom and laundry and entertainment area, but not inside.

Thanks Nick
FollowupID: 615761

Reply By: Nickywoop - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 21:03

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 21:03
Saharaman

You are on the money.
Yes we have given any person on this site the opportunity to come to this area to have a cheap holiday, and stay longer and come back in the future at their liesure . There will be no dramas if no-one takes the offer up, as the dogs can camp at our sons, and the neighbours will love the fresh eggs from the chooks.

We decided to put the offer on EO as there are many self funded retires with falling nest eggs that would perhaps enjoy the offer in their travels.

Thanks SH

Regards Nick
AnswerID: 347578

Sponsored Links