After a good used 4wd??

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 14:19
ThreadID: 65691 Views:2856 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I usually trawl the Jackaroos on ebay about once a week & have
found a gift if you are within cooee of Sydney. Epping actually.
A 1999 v6 with 74k on it asking $7.5k on the bid, buy it now for
$8k. Has reg & everything looks right about it. I paid $14k for
the same thing 2 yrs ago with 87k on it & wouldnt part with it
after an outback towing trip. If you are not into ebay there are
phone numbers given...deal direct. I have no connections with
this car, but I study the field carefully & it looks like a bargain to
me..........oldbaz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:15

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:15
Remember - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is !!
AnswerID: 347551

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 13:01

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 13:01
Yep, thats true. Plenty of people are too scared to buy any used vehicle...I never buy anything else. My per kilometre costs are a
fraction of those that buy new. Depreciation is the dearest thing
in motoring. Free country though, isnt it ?.......oldbaz.
FollowupID: 615859

Reply By: Madfisher - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:15

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:15
Baz we like them so much we just brought another one LOL Picked up one of the last ones made 9/03 Nullarbor, immacualate, never seen a dirt road obviously, exztras for $14000.00 and we may have paid to much. Already put some decent shocks on it, bit disappionted with the performance of this one compared to my 98, but its only done 4500ks in the last 15 months or so. I reckon new filters, remove the restrictors , premium fuel and a long run and it should go heaps better.
They are amazing value, and much underated. Sals 93 Paj is worth the same as my 98 Jack and I know which one I would rather drive.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 347600

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 07:18

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 07:18
Baz one thing to be aware their was recently a scam on car sales, a Jackaroo that was a great buy, but it turned it was supposedly in England, you send money, we send car, year right. It hasa just been removed.
But if you can inspect the car, get a mechanical inspection, do a revs check you are fairly safe.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 615797

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 12:56

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 12:56
G'day Pete, I had an inkling you may have captured another Jack from a previous post. Sounds the goods. Mine has been faultless
over 23k. Not sure if my restrictors have been removed, will
check at next service. No toys added except LR tank I got cheap
off an EOite. Handles C/t with ease (15 L/100) & plenty of power
for a van if we get too crotchety for the trailer. I see no reason it wont serve our holiday needs for the next 20 years. Probably be
too old to travel by then. Not used as a daily driver, trips only.
Your points re internet scams are well made but with proper
research & common sense, bargains are there to be had.
cheers....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 615857

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 14:02

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 14:02
Yes Baz, heaps of bargains our Nullarbor was $55000.00 on the road in 2004, thats $41000.00 in 4 years.
Our new one was on trading post and the people lived nearby at Molong. We just really went foe a drive and stopped to have a look, that was a mistakeLOL. Once Sal laid eyes on its condition that was it.
Having some running problems with my 98 at the monent but a new maf sensor on monday shopuld cure it.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 615873

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 11:24

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 11:24
They are good value. I just couldn't sell mine a few months back but was fortunate that a friend (on this site) was in need of a good car and we worked out a deal but I reckon he got the better end of the stick but hell I had no lookers in 4 months of trying to sell so had to take what ever I could get. Mine was 01, L/R tank and h/d springs, tow/bull bars but all else standard with 140 on the dial and not much difference in price to the one you are talking about. Mine was only driven by the wife to get kids to school and in mint cond compared to most I have seen. Meticulous log books ect.

If anyone is in the market, the above one would be worth a second glance at it's price. Hard to tell the history in a 4wd though and my friend was luckier than most to know ours was well looked after with no 4wding.

Cheers, trevor.
AnswerID: 347653

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 13:13

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 13:13
G'day Trevor, theres no doubt it is a buyers market at the moment & with new sales crashing by around 20% a month it
will remain so. Vehicle history is difficult to assess, sure, but with log books & condition being the best indicators. Hard to go wrong
with sub 100k jobs if all other signs are OK. May sound silly but the first thing I look at is the wear on the pedal pads...can be
very informative. Never bought a new car, depreciation is a killer,
but never had any major bang in any of the used cars I've
bought. Must admit they've all been Peugeots except the Jack.
Off to Newcastle next weekend to look at a 405 with only 60k on
it, for $5k. I have one with 250k , magnificent car, does 14k to a
litre, 2L auto..unbelievable. starting to rave, must off, good to chat with you.......oldbaz.
FollowupID: 615861

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 21:36

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 21:36
Intertesting Baz,
The couple we brought the nullarbor off are also into pugs. I know they had one with similar ks to yours plus a new one, plus a defender. They loved their old one and claimed it was a better car then the newer one. I liked the 404 and 504 from the sixties and seventies, two of the most reliable cars evermade.
Like you I hate seeing money going up in smoke, and buying a new car these days(unless you get a tax break) is madness.Got a multi millionaire mate who will not buy a new car, goes to the auctions and picks up 12 month old fairlanes etc for half price.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 615951

Reply By: RV Powerstream P/L - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 18:28

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 18:28
Oldbaz
I recently bought a 2002 jack off ebay for $4500 with a 3.0 smokey diesel .

I threw out the diesel and am currently installing a 2.8 4jbi turbo fully rebuilt ,balanced with a recut cam to increase turbo performance.
I found a chap from New Zealand that had been setting up cams for the racing trucks over there.
The vehicle should pull better than the common rail 3L units available today.
Once Dynoed it will then be put on gas Dynoed and then Turbo upgrade to a 28 series garret and breathed with a 3" all the way .

If I achieve what a freind in Wales England has achieved I should get around 200HP on the Dyno at works end.

A 1999 3l Jack with a dud diesel sold for under $3grand about a week ago.

If my idea works that will be the way to go buy a dud and put a worked 2.8 in it and show your heels to Toyos and Missans.
Ian
AnswerID: 347871

Sponsored Links