Route from Uluru to Old Andado

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 21:26
ThreadID: 65706 Views:2081 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Guys,

Looking at a route which comes east from Uluru to Erldunda, and hoping to continue east via Impadna and Horseshoe Bend before turning south on the Old South Rd to Finke.

Our question relates to the area around Horseshoe Bend and whether it (and the rest of the track is passable). On our map it is listed as Private Track.

Has anyone done this track, rather than the more obvious track which parallels to the south (Kulgera to Finke)

Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 21:40

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 21:40
Yeah...............

That route crosses Idracowra and Horsehshoe Bend Stations and they have been extremely reluctant to grant access across their properties in the past. You may be lucky, but I doubt it. Give then a call and se what the latest info is.

Easiest route is via Kulgera and Finke or via Hugh River Stock Route and Maryvale Station or Rodinga Ruins along the Old GHan Track.

Cheers
AnswerID: 347584

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 22:07

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 22:07
Thanks Willem - interested in the Hugh River Stock Route, and we are headed eventually through to Mt Dare. Is there any way across to Old Andado Track without going back up to Alice? Have heard that it is worth getting across to, but once again, see private track on the area near Deep Well.
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 615778

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 22:31

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 22:31
Ivan

I think that the road/track from Deep Well Stn t/o to Allambi Stn is a public thoroughfare via the Phillipson Range. Best to give Lands Dept in Alice Springs a call to make sure of this.

The owners of Deep Well Station feel that they personally own all of that part of the southern end of the NT. Sort of emancipated land holders who are a cut above the rest. But in real terms I belive that the access along this route may be a Stock Route and access by the public is OK.

Cheers
FollowupID: 615783

Reply By: equinox - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:07

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:07
Ivan,

I drove the track you mentioned in 2005 when my cruiser only had about 700kms on the clock.

I was just cruising around really having a bit of fun and turned north at the old railway line. Leaving just north of the Erldunda turnoff I stopped at Impadna to say gday and no-one was there. At Horseshoe Bend I did not stop but someone there waved (a friendly wave). The tracks were all pretty easy grade.

After that headed up the Railway and sidetracked to the Pillar, then Deep Well, Allambi, then down to Old Andado, Mount Dare then followed the Finke River to near Purni Bore.

Then across the Simpson to Birdsville, Maree, Oodnadatta and back home to Kings Canyon where I was staying at the time. A very pleasant way to run in the cruiser :))

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 347596

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 08:31

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 08:31
Thanks for that update, Allan

Cheers
FollowupID: 615805