Tralier parking around Melbourne

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 22:26
ThreadID: 65708 Views:2220 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
From time to time, I have to do some work around Melbourne, and if I am going on to the HC or elsewhere I may have the Karavan behind. Where are the better places to be able to park reliably with a vehicle and trailer, that are close to public transport for before and after?

Having asked that what about other large cities that can be less than friendly too?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 22:48

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 22:48
Hey Bro

Isn't there a Caravan Park at Williamstown?

Cheers
AnswerID: 347593

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 22:56

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 22:56
Trying to think of places I could just day park it Bro. There is another we stayed in out East side too, that we stayed in one night.
FollowupID: 615785

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:10

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:10
Well strike a deal with the CP Owner and take the train, bus or ferry from there. Close enough, isn't it...or do you want to park in Bourke St?...LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 615790

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:14

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:14
I don't know where this is exactly, but I found it on another forum...

Hardings Caravans...& Storage

AnswerID: 347599

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:15

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:15
Sorry stuffed up the link...try this

Hardings caravans & Storage
AnswerID: 347601

Reply By: Nargun51 - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 00:19

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 00:19
Depends on whereabouts in the city you want to park, because it might be better to park early (before 7 am) in a station car park. the regulars might be a bit annoyed, but if you only take up 2 car parks it won't cause too many problems. I see it quite often at Belgrave station, and even the occasional motor home overnight. Make sure usual security precautions are taken, but the cops also do a drive around a few times a day

Barring that, pick a nice quiet suburban street in a reasonable suburb preferably with signs that young kids are around,(more chance of people being home during the day).

Otherwise, try a self storage yard, as they might let you park there for a small donation
AnswerID: 347612

Reply By: Wazza - (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 07:46

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 07:46
Can park next to my place, just bring the cheese. 5 minutes walk to the station, but we are in Zone 2 and about 40 minutes to the city by train (out Adam's side of town). Many of the suburban stations have unrestricted parking within a block or two's walk to the statio. I'd say check those stations that are about 6-8 stations from the city and still in zone one (about $6 a day ticket I think ... but then again you can get pensioner tickets ?? Haha). After a bit of searching you might find a station in zone one with a nice shady wide street about 3-4 minutes walk to the train station. Maybe a quick look in the Melways will be a start. Find one that is on the 'handy' side of the city for getting on the freeway out of here for you HC trips.
AnswerID: 347623

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 08:52

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 08:52
Wazza, you have a good memory for flavour of course - the cheese of course.

Thanks for the offer and the suggestion. This time I think we will be the western side of the city. I will generally respond at the bottom of the posts.

Your digging must be nearly ready for use? Well a year off I guess.
FollowupID: 615807

Follow Up By: Wazza - (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 13:58

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 13:58
Hey John,

I have not worked on that project for about a year now. Working from home at the moment, although might be going back there as a consultant in March/April. Hope to catch you guys again soon. Wazza.
FollowupID: 615870

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:15

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:15
Thanks for your suggestions. As we are to drive towards Sydney for a Saturday night Top Gear event and combine for a break, we want to have the Karavan attached and be ready for a getaway after the Melbourne business. Yeh, probably about peak hour. Will get part way tomorrow night towards Harbourside. Will catch up with some friends up that way.

I have arranged to take up Willem's suggestion and the charger can be plugged in to support the power systems and a $25 day charge. The car could get fairly warm in the sun though
AnswerID: 347633

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:40

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:40
Hi John

Another usually overlooked location is on the eastern side about 1 km from our city house in Wantirna.

The Wantirna caravan park. Melways 63 F6

Its a fairly big open place backing onto large area of parkland and is quite a pleasant place.
It always seems to have lots of vans etc which look like they have just been parked with no services.

The public transport at the front door is bus to Micham or Ringwood station and nearby Knox city.

It fronts mountain highway and at the back is the new Eastlink which gives high speed access to the city and also Hi country.

Can't remember a single traffic light now from freeway right down to coming into Taralgon.
Was amazed how easy it was to get to Licola etc over long weekend.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 347644

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:54

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:54
Robin, thanks for that one. We actually stayed there early January. Full up with permanents but some spaces for itinerants like us.

Used Eastlink for part of the navigation too, except at night from Waverley the GPS directed us the shortest route. I love iGo NavNGO 8. Does a great job but for the time it interrupts the radio.
FollowupID: 615838

Sponsored Links