Travelling with dogs - caravan parks.

Submitted: Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:06
ThreadID: 65743 Views:7451 Replies:13 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'll shortly be heading north to the N.T. when it cools down a bit. I have to take a largish dog with us this time. I know one caravan park in Alice Springs that will allow dogs conditionally. However, can anyone help me with other places, in particular Mt. Isa, Katherine & Darwin. We usually bush camp but one needs to go to town occasionally.

I am aware that there are publications available, but nothing is available here (BHQ) that suits.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brent and Di - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:17

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:17
RACQ has a good book camping with pets which shoes you all the parks you can stay at with dogs.
Di
AnswerID: 347799

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:48

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:48
Try this link.

It is not a definitive list of all parks, but dog friendly parks are noted by "(DFP)" next to those parks that are.

Jack'
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 347810

Reply By: DIO - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 14:34

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 14:34
In the best interests of the dog, please ensure that you keep it on a lead at all times and if wandering around out in the bush muzzle it or keep it confined close to your vehicle(s) so as to avoid the llikelyhood of it ingesting a poison bait (1080 - a very painful death not nice to watch). They are scattered throughout the pastoral areas (wild dog control).
AnswerID: 347827

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 14:43

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 14:43
Remember, large parts of the NT are National Parks, and they don't allow dogs, so plan your trip carefully.

We use the Holidaying with Dogs book which list motels, caravan parks etc that allow pets. You still need to check before hand with the relative owner/operator before arrival. Camps Australia 4 also has a lot of info about pet places.
Fred
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 347828

Reply By: Wizard1 - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:04

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:04
I wonder what we all did before defaulting to forums.

The motoring clubs, you know NRMA, RAC, etc have produced these extremelly informative and helpfull caravan park and camping guides. They provide a wealth of information, including which parks let you have dogs.

AnswerID: 347834

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:25

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:25
Richard,
In Mt Isa Try Mt Isa Caravan Park (Dog friendly) on the highway east side of town. In Darwin try Coolalinga Caravan Park in Howard Springs also Dog friendly.
Others Pet friendly parks at http://www.ozparks.com.au
ozjohn
AnswerID: 347841

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:45

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:45
Hi Richard

I can't assist you with anywhere north of Alice Springs. I note Jack has given you the link to Badger's.

The CP we stayed at in Alice is pet friendly, and in a lovely location 8 kms from town. Quiet and safe. The amenities are a bit antiquated, but it is priced accordingly at around half the cost of the ones in town. Grassy and large sites. I have reviewed this in Badger's.

We only travelled a little around Alice Springs, and although the parks don't allow pets, they are allowed in the camp grounds and car parks (tethered while you take your walks) at Kings Canyon and Uluru.

The following NT parks link shows where pets are permitted. Note that although Chambers Pillar Historical Reserve is in the list, the on line brochure, as well as signage at the reserve say No Dogs.

http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/parks/petsinparks.html

Also check out doggyholiday.com

http://www.doggyholiday.com/dognt2.htm

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 347848

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 16:45

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 16:45
Hi Richard,

Not sure about MT Isa (free camped outside there) or Darwin but in Katherine you can stay at Manbullo Homestead Caravan Park, about 9 km west of the town.

I stayed there in August last year with 2 dogs & was most friendly & reasonably priced.

John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

AnswerID: 347854

Reply By: Warstar - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 18:06

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 18:06
We too travel with a dog. try these:-

Alice Springs - Heritage C & TP
Katherine - Springvale Homestead
Darwin - Coolalinga CP.
AnswerID: 347868

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 20:34

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 20:34
you could buy this book which gives you much more than dog friendly parks

Explore Australia by Caravan and Motorhome by John And Jan Tait

Gives journeys all over the country with places and what to see there
and lists over 900 dog friendly camps

One small downside It costs $54.99

FollowupID: 616121

Reply By: John and Lynne - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:32

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:32
We travelled through the NT last year with our dog. We did not go to Alice Springs but elsewhere we had no trouble finding CPs or free camps. The RACQ Tourist Park Guide (as published by all state associations) was an accurate guide to dog friendly parks and Camps 4 Australia plus local research found other camps.

Be very careful of baits. Also crocodiles like dogs so it is not a good idea to let the dog run along river banks etc in croc counrty!

It is also impossible to leave your dog alone in the van for the day during the heat. In Katherine our dog had a happy day at the Vet's Puppy Day Care while we toured the Gorge (you need to book ahead for this).

We stayed at Coolalinga CP in Darwin and it was good with good nearby shops. It is about the only place that takes dogs so book ahead. Also Darwin is not dog friendly. If you want to go to the beach markets, museums, shops, national parks etc you will not be able to take the dog. We checked with the nearby Vet and booked our dog into the A1 Kennels at Mc Minns Lagoon near Howard Springs for a few days. (08 8988 1793) They were excellent. She had a break from being tied up in the CP and came back very fit and happy.
We were able to do the touristy things without worrying about her. Don't forget to take the dog's vaccination certificates etc in case you do need to leave him in a kennel at any time.

Enjoy your trip. John and Lynne
AnswerID: 347957

Reply By: GHThommo - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 15:37

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 15:37
Hi,

We use the following link and check the pet friendly box. http://www.camping.com.au/

Cheers,

thommo
AnswerID: 348012

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 15:57

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 15:57
we always take our hound away with us - usually do a bit of groundwork on the web, covering the route as well as having a few camp/caravan park directories. It can be limiting in some areas more than others. we usually find the country/outback more accommodating.
AnswerID: 348015

Reply By: Harry - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 22:32

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 22:32
Try Temple bar caravan park, about 6k's sth of town turn right off Stuart H'way, and out about 8k's towards Honeymoon Gap.
They definitely take dogs. ( cheaper too)
AnswerID: 348068

Sponsored Links